Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Training

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious what the majority have completed for training in the forum. Myself I have AST1 and I am considering AST2. AST1 was an eye opener and I feel only a brief introduction to what we should consider as mandatory training for back country users. I would like to see life insurance companies recognize this training like they recognize PADI certification for divers.

Last edited:

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AST1 is all I have and I agree it should be the absolute minimum requirement. I want/need to further my training in the near future. Always gotta laugh at guys I know out here in the flats of sasky with a grand total of 30 days of mountain riding that scoff at the idea of any training thinking that they know better. I think that's the main purpose of the ast1. Making people realize how much they actually DONT know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have taken my AST 1 far to long ago. I will need a refresher course, or the full AST 1 again this year!

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious what the majority have completed for training in the forum. Myself I have AST1 and I am considering AST2. AST1 was an eye opener and I feel only a brief introduction to what we should consider as mandatory training for back country users. I would like to see life insurance companies recognize this training like they recognize PADI certification for divers.

That would be great if insurance companies recognized it. Please share what you find out. I have AST2 and am looking into Ops 1 for this winter.

Last season I asked a question about the reasons why people haven't taken the training. The most popular excuses were cost, logistics and work schedule. Just recently I asked if those people that said logistics and costs were the reason they hadn't taken training, if they have starting saving to take the course since the end of last season....no response.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have taken AST 1 and Companion Rescue two years ago and the AST 2 last season. Despite excellent instruction and very good course content in all the courses. I am taking the AST2 again this coming season. I started from scratch and I know it will help me sled safer by helping me evaluate and mitigate risks and improve my rescue procedures.
In industry all safety courses must be recertified every three years e.g. First Aid, H2S Alive, Fall Restrain, etc. I find it difficult to believe that sledders have some sort of super recollection skills that allow them to be certified indefinitely? I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that I would prefer not to sled with riders who think because they haven't had a accident or been killed in a avalanche yet they are safe sledders because of "common sense" and "experience".

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sure was and eye opener for our group.

Agreed. Especially for us prairie boys that have moved out here.
My group all has AST1 and I'm going to get everyone to get in on AST2 this year.

Make a week long trip out of it or something.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those from Alberta that are interested, the Alberta Snowmobile Association is offering 100 free AST 1 or AST 2 courses to members this winter. An individual has to sign up and complete both the classroom and field portions of either course, and then apply for the refund. If there are 100 or less, everyone is refunded. If there are more than 100, a draw will be held and the first 100 A.S.A. members drawn will receive refunds. More to come.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
For those from Alberta that are interested, the Alberta Snowmobile Association is offering 100 free AST 1 or AST 2 courses to members this winter. An individual has to sign up and complete both the classroom and field portions of either course, and then apply for the refund. If there are 100 or less, everyone is refunded. If there are more than 100, a draw will be held and the first 100 A.S.A. members drawn will receive refunds. More to come.
I believe it's ast 1 only and you also have to be a current ASA member, meaning you have to have a current ASA trail pass. I will contact amanda tomorrow and get the details

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have taken AST 1 and Companion Rescue two years ago and the AST 2 last season. Despite excellent instruction and very good course content in all the courses. I am taking the AST2 again this coming season. I started from scratch and I know it will help me sled safer by helping me evaluate and mitigate risks and improve my rescue procedures.
In industry all safety courses must be recertified every three years e.g. First Aid, H2S Alive, Fall Restrain, etc. I find it difficult to believe that sledders have some sort of super recollection skills that allow them to be certified indefinitely? I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that I would prefer not to sled with riders who think because they haven't had a accident or been killed in a avalanche yet they are safe sledders because of "common sense" and "experience".

I agree on the recertification, it never hurts to review. However the cost of AST2 is a lot of money and don't get me wrong I believe in the training and cost shouldn't matter. I currently spend $9000 a year for life insurance just so I'm covered while I ride so the extra $700 is chump change, but for a lot of people it doesn't compute and is a hard sell. AST1 will be the majority of people's experience due to time and cost.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be great if insurance companies recognized it. Please share what you find out. I have AST2 and am looking into Ops 1 for this winter.

Last season I asked a question about the reasons why people haven't taken the training. The most popular excuses were cost, logistics and work schedule. Just recently I asked if those people that said logistics and costs were the reason they hadn't taken training, if they have starting saving to take the course since the end of last season....no response.

youll love the Ops course. I took it a couple years ago and it was incredible, can't ever say enough about the CAA and their instructors!!

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe it's ast 1 only and you also have to be a current ASA member, meaning you have to have a current ASA trail pass. I will contact amanda tomorrow and get the details
Tyler, did you get any additional information from Amanda?

Thanks for catching/clarifying; You do have to be an A.S.A. member/Trail Pass Holder to qualify for the re-imbursement.

When I attended the Spring General Meeting of the A.S.A., it was stated that either course would be covered.

So, if one buys their trail pass ($80 currently), takes the AST course they choose - both classroom and field, and apply for the re-imbursement, there is a good chance of a cheque showing up in your mail.

Get educated, learn "formal" avalanche safety information, and have it paid for............quite possibly. A good "gamble" I think.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tyler, did you get any additional information from Amanda?

Thanks for catching/clarifying; You do have to be an A.S.A. member/Trail Pass Holder to qualify for the re-imbursement.

When I attended the Spring General Meeting of the A.S.A., it was stated that either course would be covered.

So, if one buys their trail pass ($80 currently), takes the AST course they choose - both classroom and field, and apply for the re-imbursement, there is a good chance of a cheque showing up in your mail.

Get educated, learn "formal" avalanche safety information, and have it paid for............quite possibly. A good "gamble" I think.

Just in case you didn't see the post in Avalanche Awareness...

FROM THE ALBERTA SNOWMOBILE ASSOCIATION
FREE AVALANCHE TRAINING! ASA TO PAY FOR 100 MEMBERS TO GET THEIR AST TRAINING THIS SEASON
To help spread the message of the need for Avalanche Skills Training (AST) when heading into avalanche terrain, the ASA this coming season will reimburse 100 ASA members for taking and completing (classroom and field sessions) of an AST1 or AST2 course this coming season.
To be eligible, ASA members must submit a copy of their current season ( 2016 – 17) ASA membership card and a certificate of completion of an AST course by a recognized (Avalanche Canada) AST provider. Members who took AST1 Classroom last season and are completing their field session during the coming season, will also be eligible.
The ASA will accept entries until January 30, 2017, after which 100, randomly selected, eligible members will be reimbursed the full cost of their course registration.
Please attach to this form a copy of your 2016 – 2017 ASA membership and a copy of your AST course completion certificate, and a receipt from the course provider.
Mail, email (with subject line AST Reimburse) or fax to the ASA office before January 30, 2017!
Alberta Snowmobile Association
11759 – Groat Road
Edmonton, Alberta T5M 3K6
Phone (780) 427.2695 Fax: (780) 415.1779
Email: info@altasnowmobile.ab.ca
ATTACH:
1. COPY OF CURRENT SEASON ASA MEMBERSHIP CARD
2. COPY OF COMPLETION CERTIFICATE - from AST provider
(Must be recognized through Avalanche Canada and/or Canadian Avalanche
Association)
3. COPY OF PAYMENT RECEIPT - from same AST provider

Top Bottom