Ast 2

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see that there is alway a good number of AST1 course's being offered by numerous providers at various locations but I notice very few AST 2 courses being advertised.
Is there a lack of demand or what's the issue? I don't want to give the wrong impression, AST1 are very informative and extreamly important but I really just don't think people should stop there.
In my own experience it's hard enough to get sledders to take an AST1 let alone go for more training. I wonder what percentage of riders have additional training or intend to get more?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see that there is alway a good number of AST1 course's being offered by numerous providers at various locations but I notice very few AST 2 courses being advertised.
Is there a lack of demand or what's the issue? I don't want to give the wrong impression, AST1 are very informative and extreamly important but I really just don't think people should stop there.
In my own experience it's hard enough to get sledders to take an AST1 let alone go for more training. I wonder what percentage of riders have additional training or intend to get more?

I think because of the level of training, classroom is a couple days and so is the hill. I would like to take it, I think the more you know the better.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did mine in 2012.
It was a half day the first evening of class and then an hour in the morning and at night for three days.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AST2 is vital for many of the mountain riders that want to leave the open meadows and cuts and push into bigger terrain. The course involves a significantly larger amount of field time and the actual implementation of a plan and and continued terrain assessments. Its the perfect next step.

Our team will be pushing the AST2 more and more and we are seeing our clients ask for them more often as well. It is a longer time commitment and the participants need to invest more time off to get the course completed.

Frozen Pirate has come up with a unique way to offer the AST1 program and we are working on a way to offer the AST2 course as well. Personally I would like to see all students start and finish their training in the same set of days to get the best out of the course. We are looking at a three evening, three field day program where the full AST2 can be offered from Thursday night to Sunday with the group sized kept to a maximum of 6 people.

What may need to be better communicated on the course providers side, is that AST2 does entail a lot of actual riding and field time. Its not as cut and dry as the AST1 and is a great way to spend the weekend in the mountains honing your skills.

Anyone really interested chatting about an AST2 for your group should email me at curtis@frozenpirate.com. We are already taking bookings for next season with small deposits.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just thought Id mention that Soul rides offers the AST2 in the Revelstoke area.

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems that most of the AST2 classes I see offered are for groups and not individuals or it is a whole package that includes lodging and food and really drives the price up compared to rooming with a buddy in a hotel or in my case just driving to Revy/Sicamous each morning.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems that most of the AST2 classes I see offered are for groups and not individuals or it is a whole package that includes lodging and food and really drives the price up compared to rooming with a buddy in a hotel or in my case just driving to Revy/Sicamous each morning.

Pm'ed

Top Bottom