AST 1 course in PG?

Hangfire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.hngfiretraining.com
I was chatting to the PGSC and they had expressed some interest in hosting an AST 1 course this season in PG. Late Feb or March.
Just wondering if there is much interest out there for this before we set a date and commit.

Thanks!

Ryan

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know atleast 4 people and hopefully all the people in PG that haven't taken the AST 1 will sign up. Let us know when the date is set.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a great idea. I just hope there is more interest in this course than the last time we had one here in January 2010. We didn't have a great turnout, but the course was held anyway. My question: Where would you be putting on the field portion of the training? We had our field in McBride, but only about 1/3 of the class attendees showed up. It's a tough sell when the class portion is close, and then ask everyone to attend the field 2.5 hrs away.

I am hoping people in the PG area are getting more avy aware, and would want the training regardless of distance traveled, cost, etc. My hubby, kid and I may even be interested in taking the field portion of the course to brush up on our skills....would you have that available as well for a reduced cost? Thanks! Good luck! I really hope an AST 1 course is held here, and I will for sure spread the word out. :)

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took the course with Ryan in McBride this past weekend, and he did a great job at it! The field part of it is (IMO) the most important part of the course. It's easy enough to read about how to use your beacon and probe, or what things to look for when examining terrain, but it's piece of mind knowing that you DO know how to use your beacon and probe if the time comes. The shoveling techniques I learnt up there I wouldn't have even thought of doing but makes total sense once you actually think about it.
Once again Ryan, thanks for taking the time putting on the course, and I hope others take 1 day out of their busy lives, to possibly help some else's life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hangfire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.hngfiretraining.com
Thanks for the great feedback! IF the course happens, I'm not 100% on the field day location. I would have to do some research on area's close to PG in which we can still view some avalanche terrain but stay in simple terrain. Any suggestions? Yes, depending on turn out for the 2 day course we would be open to have people attend the field day portion only as a refresher or if they have already done the class session. The cost for that would be only for the field day.

More as I know it. Thanks!

Ryan

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great feedback! IF the course happens, I'm not 100% on the field day location. I would have to do some research on area's close to PG in which we can still view some avalanche terrain but stay in simple terrain. Any suggestions? Yes, depending on turn out for the 2 day course we would be open to have people attend the field day portion only as a refresher or if they have already done the class session. The cost for that would be only for the field day.

More as I know it. Thanks!

Ryan

Torpy has tonnes of Avy features. It's about an hour away from our house. We have taken our AST 1 through you already, but if you need any help advertising or organizing, I would be glad to help out :) would be great to see more folks take the training.

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Torpy has tonnes of Avy features. It's about an hour away from our house. We have taken our AST 1 through you already, but if you need any help advertising or organizing, I would be glad to help out :) would be great to see more folks take the training.

The Torpy is a great area for a field day. It has as many if not more Avy features than the Lucielle in Mcbride. I am more than willing to help also in any way I can.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the Torpy is a great place to hold the field portion of the course, due to the wonderful features that we have. The only problem is....distance. An hour 15 to the staging area from town, and then another hour on sleds to get to the mountain. I know that was the obstacle for Lori when she held the class portion here in town....McBride ended up being the better choice for her. It would be great to see the field portion done right here on the mountain range that we ride on a regular basis. I guess it is dependent on interest and if the distance is not a factor for the course providers. I will do whatever it takes to promote this course as well!

Hangfire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.hngfiretraining.com
Torpy is the closest "mountain" riding area to town then? How many KM is the trail ride in? If we get enough interest and people are willing to leave early enough in the am to make a day of it out there then it should be no problem. Still need to chat with the PGSC once more but we are thinking March 3/4 weekend could work. Any thoughts on that everyone? I will post a set date soon and see how it fills up.
Thanks

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are away that weekend at a Canucks game , that would take out a couple from the 4 I know. Sorry. We are all travelling together.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Torpy is the closest "mountain" riding area to town then? How many KM is the trail ride in? If we get enough interest and people are willing to leave early enough in the am to make a day of it out there then it should be no problem. Still need to chat with the PGSC once more but we are thinking March 3/4 weekend could work. Any thoughts on that everyone? I will post a set date soon and see how it fills up.
Thanks

I believe the Torpy is the closest mountainous riding area close to town, if there is a closer one can someone please tell me where it is? Ha! The trail in is about 38 kms.....when it's groomed it is a wonderful ride, not so much when it isn't....lol. It would be awesome if there is enough interest to hold the field right here. I'm pretty sure my hubby, kid and I will sign up for the field portion of the class! That date would work for us.....and once you have confirmation that you will be holding the AST1 here, I can advertise on the PGSC facebook page, and can help distribute flyers to the dealerships in town.

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice, that's a decent distance to travel for a game. You all around the following weekend?

The weekend after would work great for us. Also the weekend after is a cross shift for the mine in Tumbler so I can let all my sons friends know . I have heard them all talking about wanting an AST course.

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would need a date to say yes or no, i am here every other weekend
march 10\11 i am around

driller

Reaction score
dome creek is only 12 klm to the top bowl and is one hour drive on the highway. Not the same scope as the torpy but has the some good terrain for training.
I would be interested in the field portion and know of a couple other guys that would be interested as well depending on the weekend

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dome creek is only 12 klm to the top bowl and is one hour drive on the highway. Not the same scope as the torpy but has the some good terrain for training.
I would be interested in the field portion and know of a couple other guys that would be interested as well depending on the weekend

Thanks driller. Never ridden the Dome creek area....although I've seen lots of tracks heading out that way. The 12 km in would be much more reasonable than 38 kms.....I think all that is needed in the terrain is a few avy features, a big enough place to build a pit, and enough room to do the beacon scenarios. What is the elevation there, do you know? The Torpy is roughly 6000-6800 feet.....

Hangfire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.hngfiretraining.com
Lets shoot for March 10/11. Dome sounds like a good place for the field day too. We will finalize the field day location as we get closer.
If you would like me to email you a poster to print out to help spread the word you can email us at: course@hangfiretraining.com

If you want to sign up for just the field day (must have done at least the AST 1 classroom session prior) You can choose just the field day price at our BOOK NOW page.
Hangfire Training | Avalanche Skills Training For Snowmobilers | Avalanche Courses in BC, AB, SK

Hoping we can get enough people signed up to make the course a go!

PrinceGeorgeAST1.jpg

Top Bottom