April 17th and 18th Dirty Biking in Vega

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dirty Biking in Vega, April 17th and 18th

Hey Kids!

Myself (Johnny) and my sweet sexy lady (Amber) are planning to go do some dirty biking in vega the weekend of the 17th and 18th of April. Our plan is to haul up the bikes and our tent trailer Friday night and ride saturday and sunday.

This is an open invitation to any of you 2-wheel maniacs who want to tear up some nice sandy trails and a wee bit-o muskeg!

Just a few stipulations for the group we are hoping to attract:
- The drinking happens AFTER the ride.
- No sight-seeing! hahaha we plan on some seriously good riding (not racing of course, just no lazy daiseys!!!)
- KIDS ARE MORE THAN WELCOME!!!!!
- people who are fun and love a good time!

If you ride on 4 wheels, you are also more than welcome to join in. I find that the 4X4's cant really keep up that well, but if you are up to the challenge, BRING IT BABY!

thanks guys (and gals of course!!!)

Johnny

Landrew

Reaction score
How are the conditions out there right now for a bike? Still lots of snow in the woods ?

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure. ive heard the bruderheim, redwater areas are a bit snow and ice - ish in the trails, but im guessing by the time this weekend comes around it'll be fine.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to Vega yet, my boyfriend has and he said it wasn't much to write home about and said I probably wouldnt like it..but thats when I had a little wheel bike that was impossible to control in thick sand. I think we might be planning a trip to Brule this month but Vega could be a possibility too as long as it isn't too sloppy. We also don't have a cozy trailer to sleep in so thats a bit of a downside to roughin it this time of the year.. :S

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LadyDirt, the thing with Vega is that you have to explore to find the sweet spots. There are awesome hill climbs, endless trails, sand, muskeg, creek crossings...... you just have to find them.

Amber and I have been riding all over alberta, and we both agree Vega is right close to the top of our list of favorite riding areas.

The sand is just like the sand anywhere else in Alberta. Lots of long whoop sections to rip up, great areas to camp.... epic!

You definately will not be disapointed.

we have done the "chilli night" camp outs before too. You just need a million blankets and a good roarin camp fire.

we are going to be bringing the camera to get some videos of people who make the trek with us. See who can make the big hill climb near the ferry. first time Amber tried it was on her old YZ250 and she got owned. But, she didnt give up. after about 4 tries and a few good spills she got to the top. its my favorite video to watch.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed. gonna hafta tent or camp in the enclosed trailer which could kinda suck so early in the year

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you down for comin white6? You're on a sport quad right?

Amber and i once did vega in a tent with about 7 blankets. It was a chilly night, but we were warm.

Nothing wrong with a little adventure, right? haha

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm lookin into it ya haha I get to edmonton on the 12th.. wasnt sure if I was bringing the quad down right away or not.. gotta haul down the trailer and pick up the furniture for my new house so...

Lol nothing wrong w/ adventure.. but it helps having your better half for heat! mines gonna be working :( ... and yes i'm on race quad

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah my boyfriend didn't have a good tour guide for Vega, he went with a bunch of people and none of them had ever gone so I know it definitely helps when you ride with people who are familiar with the area.

Long Island Lake is one of our fav spots, its just past Vega, its a great place to camp we had a blast last year. The campground is right on the lake and you are allowed to ride your ATV's to and from your camping spot and there are TONS of trails..all different terrain..sand, skeg, dirt, mud..whatever you ask for its there..huge hill climbs..(I made it up the biggest nastiest hill i've ever climbed on my YZ, and some of the guys couldn't even make it up first go and I was at the top waiting for everyone my first try!.. felt pretty good hehe) so after a very long day of riding ..and I mean there are tons of trails..you come back to camp and jump in the lake! I cant' wait to go back there this summer

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that sounds like an awesome place to ride. i have read a bunch about it on this site, i cant wait to go this year.

that story about you hillclimbing is awesome. cant wait to see you in action. what does your dude ride?

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I loved it, too bad my clutch lever ripped completely off on our first ride so I will hopefully get to enjoy it a bit more next time :) One of our other fav more local spots is Bon Accord...there is a secret hidden gem of dunes, pits and trails there..I wont even go to bruderhiem now that we discovered that area..i like it a lot better. Its mostly sand and hard pack trails but some of the pits are more..I dunno I can't even explain the terrain there but its like sand combined with broken down shale or rocks, its awesome to ride in the bike hooks up good in it :) that and well Hells Half Acre is a fun place to ride on week nights too, hard pack dirt and soft skeggy trails :) we will definitely have to hook up and ride KTM, it sounds like you and your lady friend are as ambitious and me and my other half.. we get out and ride lots and explore LOTS of places.

My man is runnin a mint '04 RM250, he loves it ( I like riding it too ! hehe)

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a buddy of mine brings his RM250 when we go to vega. i love that bike! i think his is an '02.

looks like he's comin too, although i think on this trip he's bringing his '05 KTM 450excw.

sledneck48

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just lettin u all know
Went to vega friday(April 2)
Conditions were good some mud in places but nothin to bad
Dont Know the full story but a cats been in there pushin a huge pile of tree to the top of powerline hill so u can no go over the top of the hill
i can only assume to stop people from riding there
The cut line has been "plowed" in a few place and a bunch of trees plowed out down by the creek.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just lettin u all know
Went to vega friday(April 2)
Conditions were good some mud in places but nothin to bad
Dont Know the full story but a cats been in there pushin a huge pile of tree to the top of powerline hill so u can no go over the top of the hill
i can only assume to stop people from riding there
The cut line has been "plowed" in a few place and a bunch of trees plowed out down by the creek.

Sounds like we might be headin to Vega tommorow bright n early.. good to hear the conditions are decent.

KTM,...feelin ambitious???

We went for a rip in the Enoch dunes today, unfortunately the ride was cut short due to a native on a quad with a gun chasing us out..:eek: So we wanna go for a good ride tommorow...anyone else loadin up bikes to ride tommorow?

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh man I wish!!!!!!!!

im in jasper, did lots of showboardin AND skiing. Gonna say it though, all i can think about is gettin out on the new bike....

Taryn, I AM SO JELOUS you might hit vega tomorrow!

let me know what you think. I have a few tips for you so when i get back from dinner i'll PM you.

johnny

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh man I wish!!!!!!!!

im in jasper, did lots of showboardin AND skiing. Gonna say it though, all i can think about is gettin out on the new bike....

Taryn, I AM SO JELOUS you might hit vega tomorrow!

let me know what you think. I have a few tips for you so when i get back from dinner i'll PM you.

johnny

Hey ya, we actually hit up Super Dave's MX track instead, we don't have insurance and registration yet and we got busted last year so we were a little iffy about Vega..ins/registration this week!

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how did you like that place? ive heard lots of good and lots of bad.

i didnt care for it myself... that was a while ago though

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how did you like that place? ive heard lots of good and lots of bad.

i didnt care for it myself... that was a while ago though

I've been there before, it was actually the last track I went to last year on my YZ, but nah I dont like it much at all, its bad track for beginners. My favourite track thus far is Wild Bills, BUMP MX park is OK..lots of good jumps, but the track condition last time I went was chitty, rutted out and really dry and rocky. Wild Bills definitley awesome because they have the hair scramble course too and the trails are pretty fun and a bit technical..and I love the track too. Perfect for familys as well because they have camping and a kiddy track and all that. Tabletop Raceway is suppose to be pretty good, my man loved it and its really close to my Dad's resort in Nordegg so we're thinkin about gettin a membership pass for there this season. Anyway..I put up some pics/videos from yesterday in HH.

Cheers and Happy Easter!

mat

Reaction score
Yeah my boyfriend didn't have a good tour guide for Vega, he went with a bunch of people and none of them had ever gone so I know it definitely helps when you ride with people who are familiar with the area.

Long Island Lake is one of our fav spots, its just past Vega, its a great place to camp we had a blast last year. The campground is right on the lake and you are allowed to ride your ATV's to and from your camping spot and there are TONS of trails..all different terrain..sand, skeg, dirt, mud..whatever you ask for its there..huge hill climbs..(I made it up the biggest nastiest hill i've ever climbed on my YZ, and some of the guys couldn't even make it up first go and I was at the top waiting for everyone my first try!.. felt pretty good hehe) so after a very long day of riding ..and I mean there are tons of trails..you come back to camp and jump in the lake! I cant' wait to go back there this summer

There is a rumor saying that they will ban ridding on the campground this year...(Noise complaints) I haven't talk to Sheryl yet...I hope those are only rumors...

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a rumor saying that they will ban ridding on the campground this year...(Noise complaints) I haven't talk to Sheryl yet...I hope those are only rumors...

Actually Mat yes, Boyd went to Long Island once without me last year and he said they banned ATV's out of the campground..I just remember that. It was probably because of all of us last year eh?? There were like how many of us tearing in and out of that campground all weekend?? lol we just have to load up and drive the bikes out I guess this year? Still an amazing spot nonetheless

Top Bottom