Apex turbo gurus PLEASE HELP!

MR MOOSE

Reaction score
I just recently bought an 07 apex with a MCX 260 kit that been upgraded to a 310 kit. I KNOW it has 10:1 wiseco pistons but thats all I know for certain about motor internals. That being said lets assume the rest is stock. I've had my dealer go through it and do a tune up and leak down test ( leak down came back at 3% and everything else checked out good) Its a 16t turbo as well. I ride 5500 ft and up. Here's the questions; I plan on running a 50/50 mix of 105/91 octane fuel, what boost level is this safe for? I'm hoping to run 18-20 lbs, is this realistic? What boost levels can my motor handle SAFELY! What boost can the 16t produce efficiently? What driveline changes need to be done to handle this boost? Any and all input/suggestions is VERY APRECIATED!!!!:beer:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nick king @ Vernon motorsports is your man. He is a expert on yami turbos and I see there not to far from where you live

MC Xpress

Reaction score
The kit was designed to make 310 H.P. at 17psi at sea level. Using a pressure loss of 3% per 1000 ft elevation you will develop the same H.P. at approx 19.8 psi at 5500 ft. This is pushing the efficiency of that turbo a bit so there will be higher intake temps making detonation more of a concern. If you are going to push to the max I'd run straight 110 octane. Any more boost then this will go outside of the design peramiters of the kit and start running lean. The Apex motors are incredibly durable but will a lean A/F will make short work of that beautiful block in no time.

LL

JohnBoyTurbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am running an 07 Apex with the same goodies. I am running a stock motor with the MCX Headshim. So our compression is approx the same. I run 17psi boost with straight 100LL Av Gas. It is about the same as mixing your fuel 50/50. From what I know about the Apex the Rods and Rod Bearings are the weak point for the higher boost. It is recommended that if you are planning on running over 17psi you should do the internal motor work.

Good Luck. Happy Sledding.

MR MOOSE

Reaction score
Thanks Johnboy! That's what I've been hearing, it's good to hear similar things from people!

Top Bottom