Anyone Use Black Cat Wear Parts?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, I bought the teeth from the guy off the classified. 18 teeth flat and twin tigers for $8 a tooth. So I think I faired well. I got probably 20 locking rings and hammer pins as well.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I saw that at Brandt, figured way too pricey to bother. Mini hoe I change teeth about once a year, going on nearly 2 years on skidsteer. Switching to bolts was cheaper, and easier, I find i'd need 2-3 pins before the tooth was wore out. I still don't think that tool would help if you're replacing pins in the cold and don't screw around heating up the rubber, they will still split at some point. I've had teeth fine for months they suddenly pins fall out.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you go to for bolts?? I’m replacing skid steer bucket teeth tomorrow. 8 of them
The pins will be almost as much as the teeth
Think they were $5-6 at redhead other day when I grabbed some for backhoe as couple were falling apart

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never seen that tool before, how does one even use it?

Set it on tooth with the dog leg lined up on pin and smash away then it has a blind hole to hold pin to pound back in. Works really good actually and can go from either side top or bottom. No idea what it’s worth. Came with backhoe- one smash of finger and it’s probably worth it lol

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Set it on tooth with the dog leg lined up on pin and smash away then it has a blind hole to hold pin to pound back in. Works really good actually and can go from either side top or bottom. No idea what it’s worth. Came with backhoe- one smash of finger and it’s probably worth it lol

Oh yeh, I see it now. I should’ve guessed by all the paint chipped on the top right that it was from hammering. I definitely smooshed my fingers a few times pounding pins. I wish they would make the pin end concave, instead of convex profiled lol

Air hammer makes easy work of it, but most of the time you don’t have access to an air supply. I popped the main hydraulic hose out in the Bush I’m the middle of December. The hydraulic pump is directly below my seat in the machine and my cab doesn’t tilt. Let me tell you I went to princess auto and Fort Garry so fast. Got a gladhand, air hose and couplers and drove the truck right in beside it, trying to block the wind in good old Saskatchewan -30 with 40km winds. Definitely the best option, diversity of the tools using air VS buying a new milwake set. Sure would be nice to have a set like that, but I have all the air tools I need already.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you go to for bolts?? I’m replacing skid steer bucket teeth tomorrow. 8 of them
The pins will be almost as much as the teeth
Think they were $5-6 at redhead other day when I grabbed some for backhoe as couple were falling apart

Just regular grade 8, anything at dealer will be pricey. Go to somewhere like bolt supply house and they will be under $2 each. I think for mine they are 7/16 3" long or something?

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just regular grade 8, anything at dealer will be pricey. Go to somewhere like bolt supply house and they will be under $2 each. I think for mine they are 7/16 3" long or something?

Ok thought maybe you used a Allen head cap screw so it set inside the tooth part- overthinking it when it’s simple lol
Might go that route with bolts definitely cheaper

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh yeh, I see it now. I should’ve guessed by all the paint chipped on the top right that it was from hammering. I definitely smooshed my fingers a few times pounding pins. I wish they would make the pin end concave, instead of convex profiled lol

Air hammer makes easy work of it, but most of the time you don’t have access to an air supply. I popped the main hydraulic hose out in the Bush I’m the middle of December. The hydraulic pump is directly below my seat in the machine and my cab doesn’t tilt. Let me tell you I went to princess auto and Fort Garry so fast. Got a gladhand, air hose and couplers and drove the truck right in beside it, trying to block the wind in good old Saskatchewan -30 with 40km winds. Definitely the best option, diversity of the tools using air VS buying a new milwake set. Sure would be nice to have a set like that, but I have all the air tools I need already.

Until you've pounded out the old spring pins, you don't know pain so many hit fingers and bent punches trying to get those stupid things out. They were only on my 6 ton mini but took more force to pound out then pins for my 210. Needed a sledge for most of them to budge, dream to put in especially because they were top/bottom not side to side but what a nightmare to get out.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok thought maybe you used a Allen head cap screw so it set inside the tooth part- overthinking it when it’s simple lol
Might go that route with bolts definitely cheaper

Na couldn't be bothered, it still takes a long time for debris to destroy the head/nut and easy to cut off if it's too mangled.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Are you guys owner operators/business owners? Or just an employee, I’m a foreman for a local municipality, finishing grader operator. But wanted to give myself an alternate source of income and something I could utilize for the farm.

Took the plunge and bought this 2001 CAT 973c back in 2015. It’s paid for itself just in work I’ve done on the farm. I ran track loader for 4 years excavating. So I’m confident in my abilities with anything I take on. It was the best option for the farm. This picture is a job I did last August in a valley a guy wanted to build a 40x60 shop beside his 30x50. Only problem was there was a 15’ hill right beside it covered in trees. I felt like I didn’t charge enough for the job I did, seeing that another company came and did his water line connection the same week, and charged him almost 50% more then I did, charged for equipment as long as it was on site even if it was done working and should’ve been moved off site to the next job. Maybe I’m just bad at running a business and I’m more concerned with doing a good job and making customers happy instead of making a big profit.

My next piece of equipment I’m looking for is a half decent grader but all the good 140h’s are still going for 100,000 at Ritchie bro’s. The last saskatoon auction they had a Volvo 960 go for 30k with a broken trans... I don’t think my old 67 Allis and Chalmers m100 would even be able to turn around in a job site let alone get the job done haha diff lock all the time, non articulating frame, makes for football field turning radius.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just farm but we have a fair jag of construction equipment that comes in handy for land/ yard improvements
580 super m back hoe
270 jd hoe
324g skid steer and a few attachments
Gradal 10k zoom boom
Tri axle end dump

Enjoy learning from guys that do this stuff every day. They know lots about Maintence, operation etc. Hence this thread about teeth

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O/O here. Thought about expanding a few times but couldn't be bothered, too hard to find good help and i've got good equipment I like that is virtually all paid for. Pricing jobs takes awhile to figure out and sometimes I am still stumped when I see what others quote. Sometimes it's stupid low, other times stupid high. There is a lot of undercutting right now and guys working for nothing. My guess is either to keep money coming in and they won't last, or running garbage and will be gone when they can't fix their crap. Either way i'll let my stuff sit before I work it for nothing.

No advice on the grader, i've only got a 210, 6 ton mini, CTL and dump truck. I would look at Kijiji, so many prices at Ritchies are just stupid there is better deals elsewhere.

Top Bottom