Anyone Use Black Cat Wear Parts?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Anyone run black cat teeth on excavators or loader buckets? I’m in the market for some new teeth on my bucket and a fellow has some brand new black cats for sale. J350 style, and then the new RVJ350.

No idea how they’re priced, can’t find any prices on the Internet, and then no clue about quality, buddy let me take one yellow j350, and then one black RVJ350 flat tooth to check for clearance on my cutting edges. They fit even with the wider casting to fit the new style retainer.
5f09c4f1e8b83b24da3f6ecdee04dc8c.jpg

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or you could just go steal some lots of iron just sitting around...jk but for real someone siphoned the fuel out of my hoe yesterday sitting by a main hyw...and I didn't make it easy for em either it's bad out there...

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't remember what brand I use. But I buy all my teeth cutting edges, etc from Valley Blades they are extremely knowledgeable about everything and super helpful. They even told me to switch to bolts for my one size of teeth as they are more reliable then the retainers and cheaper, which is loosing them business. But teeth that size are cheap, i'm guessing maybe $15 a piece with retainers?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Or you could just go steal some lots of iron just sitting around...jk but for real someone siphoned the fuel out of my hoe yesterday sitting by a main hyw...and I didn't make it easy for em either it's bad out there...

Luckily around me it’s not that bad yet. I’ve only had my slip tank siphoned. Still hurt the wallet to have the 200+ litres that was in there disappear.

I’ve never left my machine in the open by a highway. I always hide it in the Bush, or bring it home.

One time we had a 755k Deere loader sitting by a site they left on the street, it was delivered a two weeks early from the dealership. And one resident didn’t like it sitting on the street, so every day they wrote a note on the bucket with a black permanent marker. Counting the days. Then on the hood leaving vulgar messages. Machine had 2.5 hours on it, bucket never even touched dirt yet.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Was fuel cap locked? Need to find the pricks and dig a deep hole so no one can find them! I am so fawking sick of thieves it won't be pretty if I catch one one day. I had my hoe in the spring sitting at a job overnight, some prick pried open all the compartment doors and broke the locks on them. Luckily couldn't get battery compartment open. Had fawking scaffolding planks stolen from my yard even.....

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Can't remember what brand I use. But I buy all my teeth cutting edges, etc from Valley Blades they are extremely knowledgeable about everything and super helpful. They even told me to switch to bolts for my one size of teeth as they are more reliable then the retainers and cheaper, which is loosing them business. But teeth that size are cheap, i'm guessing maybe $15 a piece with retainers?

I’ve never had to purchase my own teeth before, so this is new to me. At work I just order them through the stock room or through the dealerships, I’m not paying for them so they could cost a fortune at the dealer for all I know haha.

So you use bolts through the tooth? The heads just fit inside the bore clamping the adapter? Or do they clamp onto the sides of the tooth itself?

I had a problem couple years ago pushing some Bush my adapters were worn a bit, and the retainers were relaxed so the pin kept walking out. Almost lost the tooth a few times.

The new RVJ style teeth have a thread in retainer which looks quite interesting. No hammmer on pins.

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup cap locked parked hoe so my spare bucket was right beside me on the tank side and spill pile there aswell but they still managed, tomorrow off and might be going back to a dry hoe on Thursday again...

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Was fuel cap locked? Need to find the pricks and dig a deep hole so no one can find them! I am so fawking sick of thieves it won't be pretty if I catch one one day. I had my hoe in the spring sitting at a job overnight, some prick pried open all the compartment doors and broke the locks on them. Luckily couldn't get battery compartment open. Had fawking scaffolding planks stolen from my yard even.....

Batteries seem to be the #1 thing being stolen from farm/construction equipment now days. That and the cables, too many drug addicts realize they can tweak out and strip wire and make decent cash.

Any LED light bars just get ripped off too.

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya our company policy is lock everything and hide the key...for me I would rather just leave it unlocked because if they want it bad enough they will just do more damage to the equipment...last summer we had a big jd tractor stolen and a fire suppression trailer scooped off the same job not to mention the fuel. Lucky for the thieves the tractor had gps and got the boss off our back for a day playing Paul Blart lol sorry for the side tracking

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had to purchase my own teeth before, so this is new to me. At work I just order them through the stock room or through the dealerships, I’m not paying for them so they could cost a fortune at the dealer for all I know haha.

So you use bolts through the tooth? The heads just fit inside the bore clamping the adapter? Or do they clamp onto the sides of the tooth itself?

I had a problem couple years ago pushing some Bush my adapters were worn a bit, and the retainers were relaxed so the pin kept walking out. Almost lost the tooth a few times.

The new RVJ style teeth have a thread in retainer which looks quite interesting. No hammmer on pins.

Depends on the type of retainer. For those metal pins with the round retainer thing, those are good and I use those. I switched to bolts for the smaller one's that are metal on the outside with rubber in the center that compresses because they are a nightmare to get in and they always fall out.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup cap locked parked hoe so my spare bucket was right beside me on the tank side and spill pile there aswell but they still managed, tomorrow off and might be going back to a dry hoe on Thursday again...

Been lucky there, never had fuel stolen. Although I do mostly residential so it's not easy to try and get close enough but to be honest i've never tried to park it in a way to stop it, although I will now. I didn't think people would be that insane to try, and you never know if it has any fuel in it anyway.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Batteries seem to be the #1 thing being stolen from farm/construction equipment now days. That and the cables, too many drug addicts realize they can tweak out and strip wire and make decent cash.

Any LED light bars just get ripped off too.

Yea I had batteries stolen a few years ago, only compartment left unlocked. Thankfully they unbolted everything and didn't cut any cables.

Ya our company policy is lock everything and hide the key...for me I would rather just leave it unlocked because if they want it bad enough they will just do more damage to the equipment...last summer we had a big jd tractor stolen and a fire suppression trailer scooped off the same job not to mention the fuel. Lucky for the thieves the tractor had gps and got the boss off our back for a day playing Paul Blart lol sorry for the side tracking

I'm tempted to go that way except for battery compartment but i'm always worried about someone screwing around with something.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Black cats are ok. No better or worse than the rest of them, they are a wear item......you just have to make sure that the retaining pin will work with the adapters you have on your bucket(the welded on piece the tooth slips onto) the pin usually goes through a lock washer looking piece to locknut from slipping out. The threaded style is from black cat and goes with same style adapter that is welded on, usually after a repair when adapter has been broken off, or teeth have been worn right though and adapter has worn out. If your bucket is stock those wont work

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Black cats are ok. No better or worse than the rest of them, they are a wear item......you just have to make sure that the retaining pin will work with the adapters you have on your bucket(the welded on piece the tooth slips onto) the pin usually goes through a lock washer looking piece to locknut from slipping out. The threaded style is from black cat and goes with same style adapter that is welded on, usually after a repair when adapter has been broken off, or teeth have been worn right though and adapter has worn out. If your bucket is stock those wont work

I almost lost a tooth on a job so when I got it home I built up the adapters and welder some more material on the bottom of the teeth haha I’m cheap.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I almost lost a tooth on a job so when I got it home I built up the adapters and welder some more material on the bottom of the teeth haha I’m cheap.

as long as it works, retaining device just has to fit the adaptor. We use a fair bit of black cat with no real issues

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
as long as it works, retaining device just has to fit the adaptor. We use a fair bit of black cat with no real issues

I’ll have to get a few more teeth, the picture is all the guy has. My bucket has 8 teeth on it, a few s short on each. Finning must sell the teeth eh? I’ll get enough to make matching sets except those two twin tigers. I’ll just use them with the yellow hammer pin styles.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes Finning would sell the teeth.
I’ll have to get a few more teeth, the picture is all the guy has. My bucket has 8 teeth on it, a few s short on each. Finning must sell the teeth eh? I’ll get enough to make matching sets except those two twin tigers. I’ll just use them with the yellow hammer pin styles.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Triod supply is north battleford is black cat wear dealer

Got to get some teeth for my skid steer bucket. Was suprised when getting a backhoe part that redhead said their teeth $10ish ea

The tool for doing the rubber laminated pins is well worth it. Have it for back hoe for changing to frost teeth

Jobu

Reaction score
No personal experience here but my gf works in mining and deals with this all day. She says Black Cats are a good OEM replacement but if you want an upgrade, go for Raptor.

Top Bottom