Anyone tried this method to cook corn on the cob ?!?!?!?!?

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[h=3]The Best Way to Cook Corn on the Cob for a Crowd? It's Cooler Corn[/h] 12:40 PM / September 9, 2011
/ Posted by Scott Desimon

[h=4]Filed Under:[/h]

cooler-corn.jpg
Photograph by Scott DeSimon

Am I the only person who hasn't heard of "cooler corn"?

As an obsessive food nerd, you'd expect that I would have at least heard of it, but over the weekend I was blindsided by the simple genius of this method for cooking loads of corn on the cob (which is still in season, no matter that summer already seems like a sad memory) perfectly.

I was hepped to it while visiting my family in Maine. Short story: We like corn on the cob. And with eight adults at the table, that means a couple of dozen ears. We would have used the lobster pot to cook them all, but the lobster pot was busy steaming lobster. (And please don't spell it "lobstah". It's not funny.) Then my sister, a capable Maine cook with years of camping experience says "let's do cooler corn!" Before I can ask "what the hell is cooler corn?" a Coleman cooler appears from the garage, is wiped clean, then filled with the shucked ears. Next, two kettles-full of boiling water are poured over the corn and the top closed.

Then nothing.

When we sat down to dinner 30 minutes later and opened it, the corn was perfectly cooked. My mind was blown. And I'm told that the corn will remain at the perfect level of doneness for a couple of hours.

Turns out, Cooler Corn is pretty well known among the outdoorsy set (I found a handful of mentions on various camping websites). But for those of us who avoid tents as much as possible, it's perfect for large barbecues and way less of mess than grilling. In fact, I may even buy another cooler just so I'm ready for next summer. Now that I'm in the know. --Scott DeSimon

Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2011/09/cooler-corn.html#ixzz1yOWP9nEp

Last edited by a moderator:

GGeorge

Reaction score
Have cooked this way for large groups many times
one time we had 6 coolers going doing many batches
boiling water in 2 turkey cookers to keep up

we were feedin 3500 scouts and parents

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually do the in the husk on the Q trick as well, however, when we're feeding more than just two or four. This trick will come in handy this summer I'm sure.

stealth 800

Reaction score
My old man soaks them in the husk in salt water for about 4 hours and them throws them on the coals of the fire . best i ever tasted

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do it in the husk on the BBQ too, but I never soak it. 1/2 hour on the top rack turning frequently and it's always turned out great.

That cooler method is pretty damn interesting...

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
heard that new tea drink was causing cancer at an alarming rate, just heard.

Tea isn't a new drink, it's been around almost as long as you. Even the queen drinks Tea and look how old she is :D

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that new tea drink i'm thinkin it's twisted. ya that's the stuff cancer causing u better throw that shheeet away, don't want yer hand to get infected.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After reading that i think i would be more comfortable doing a "dry run" first, so the old hotdog smell gets out of the plastic at least..........

Top Bottom