Anyone see this at Kakwa

sirzones

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This chopper was called in to airlift a guy out of Kakwa on Saturday night.
any one know who broke there back and if they are ok.

Attachments

• chopper.jpg
    chopper.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 326

sledhunter

Reaction score
I work with the RCMP and BC Ambulance Service as a SAR Manager. On the incident Saturday, March 6, we, (the McBride RCMP, BC Ambulance Service and I,) chose to request the CDN Air Force to respond and transport the injured snowmobiler from Kakwa to the hospital. Things would happen a lot faster if the sledders in Kakwa would call the appropriate authorities first. Kakwa is in the McBride, BC RCMP Detachment area and it is in the McBride BC Ambulance Service's Area. Save time and call either BC ambulance or the McBride RCMP when a medical rescue or any type of search or rescue is required in Kakwa Provincial Park. You should be aware that STARS is not authorized to land other than at the designated landing spots.
Ride Safe
Dale

sledhunter

Reaction score
If anyone is interested that rescue cost over $26,000.00 Don't expect the military to fly up here very often. Over the next month there are a few meetings scheduled to address search and/or rescue incidents along the BC border and in Kakwa Park. Keep in mind that help is hours away when everything goes smoothly and the weather cooperates. It could take a lot longer. Be prepared.
Ride Safe

sirzones

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a asa meeting on tuesday,I will bring it up and try to get signs put up at the kakwa cabin and staging area.
Only signs up in the park are for STARS.
Was the call sent by sat phone or SPOT messenger?
Hope the guy is ok

sledhunter

Reaction score
Good to hear. It sounded like both were used as we had information on the injuries as well as the location. This was the second time we had the Air Force fly to kakwa, the other was two weeks ago. On that incident the companions drove the injured sledder out to the staging area about the time the cormorant helicopter was flying over Prince George.

sirzones

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you pm me the correct numbers to call for rcmp and sar so I can pass them on to the club,
Thanks

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i work for a helicopter company in gp,other options in a emergecy are also in grande cache,which is close to kakwa,we are a bit far at over a hour away,but us or the outfit in grande cache can land anywhere and most have strecher kits,all good options to have in those life and death cases.

sirzones

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Rotormech,your camp looks lonely,you been out much?
stickman and I were out for the weekend,was a good ride:d

sledhunter

Reaction score
The McBride RCMP number is 250 569 2255, BC Ambulance Service 800 461 9911 they will ask "what city" tell them "McBride" not Kakwa Park things will work faster. The SAR teams can only be activated by these agencies.

The first isue that comes up with hiring a helicopter company from Alberta is the requirement for an avalanche professional to be on board as the safety officer. Then there is the jurisdiction issue with BC Ambulance Service. Don't get me wrong, it is an option that I will bring to the meetings later this month! This rescue business is getting more complicated each year.

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
The McBride RCMP number is 250 569 2255, BC Ambulance Service 800 461 9911 they will ask "what city" tell them "McBride" not Kakwa Park things will work faster. The SAR teams can only be activated by these agencies.

The first isue that comes up with hiring a helicopter company from Alberta is the requirement for an avalanche professional to be on board as the safety officer. Then there is the jurisdiction issue with BC Ambulance Service. Don't get me wrong, it is an option that I will bring to the meetings later this month! This rescue business is getting more complicated each year.

Keep up the good work Dale! It is a thankless job with HUGE headaches but you do an awesome job and the people and their families that you help out are forever grateful!
Braden

BigBuckHunter

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info & contact #'s - very good info to know - Sat. phone has already been updated (FYI - Iridium phones are pretrty much the only reliable ones out there right now). Any idea on response time of the proper proper procedures are followed? Anyone know where in Kakwa this happened (& how)?

NYTRO-270

Reaction score
I believe it happened near the Stairway to Heaven by Mt Alexander. I was out there and we heard a chopper fly over us in that area around 3:30pm. I guess it was not the rescue chopper as when we were back at our camp we heard one fly over around 11 ish Im guessing that was the military chopper. I am hoping that he is doing ok!!!

sledhunter

Reaction score
As far as I know the taxpayers paid for this one. We processed the request for their involvement through all the proper chanels.

highlandrider

Reaction score

I am a pilot with a helicopter company in Grande Prairie and have done a few Medivacs out of the Kakwa Park and have not run into an jurisdiction issues, what we have found is whoever can get it done in the safest and most timely matter will do it. I would appreciate a little more info on the avalanche professional to be on board as this has only applied to an avalanche incident in the past.

Other things to consider : do not call the local helicopter companies for a Medivac as we are dispatched from Alberta Health, RCMP or PEP (Provincial Emergency Program in BC).

If the weather is bad (very poor visibility) or dark, most helicopters will not be dispatched, the pilot will make that call. The military is the best bet for poor conditions, but more times than not they are at least 5-6 hours away. It was very fortunate that they were in Prince George this week. Your local heli companies with paramedics on board are usually the ones that know the mountains the best and can get personnel anywhere on the hills. Stars on the Alberta side will also fly at night, but are very limited on where they can land, as they need a 100 foot clear and level area to land.

sledhunter

Reaction score
As stated there is no shortage of helicopters that we can access to fly into Kakwa. The key is to let the proper authorities know about the incident ASAP. We are dealing with lives and safety so there is no room for errors or heroics. Something that the sleding community might give some thought to is a snowmobile rescue toboggon kit that can be used to transport an injury to a safe location where a helicopter can safely land. I'm suggesting this because there are conditions that prevent helicopters from accessing the patient, like weather, darkness etc. If you have a rescue toboggon and someone with appropriate first aid certification to slowly move the patient to shelter you will be in a good position to save lives. Food for thought!
Ride Safe
Dale

Top Bottom