Anyone planning to do something with the giant air box?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard if any of the super cool sled shops fooled around with new designs for the airbox on these XM's yet? I'd like to get rid of that heavy airbox.
How do these E-tecs run with pods?
I was thinking of something like a two into one setup with a single filter.
Thoughts?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told C3 was working on a replacement. Haven't heard of any updates. Be nice to dump the entire hood, headlight, airbox in favor of something with a smaller light option.

Running pods becomes a problem without a fuel controler. Due to the Etec running on maps, there is no ability to determine the added air. Performance would suffer and possibly even mechanical issues could result.

Now, there are two fuel controlers on the market. This could be a significant gain for performance and reduce weight with the reduction of the airbox combo.

mctrailboss

Reaction score
im pretty sure the etech motor will make the adjustments to fuel management on its own with pods because there is such a small variation in air flow. the controller is needed when large changes are made such as turbo or big bore. again i am pretty sure, feel free to correct me.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im pretty sure the etech motor will make the adjustments to fuel management on its own with pods because there is such a small variation in air flow. the controller is needed when large changes are made such as turbo or big bore. again i am pretty sure, feel free to correct me.

no way. how will it know? there is no way for it to tell. all its going to do is detune itself when the readings are bizerk coming from the pipe sensors. thats if it doesnt start throwing codes at you before you get to that stage. in carb motors we could tell by looking at plugs and changing the jets. pods will not work well on an etec motor. i know from reputable sources that the etec WILL protect itself. and its going to do so by giving you negative performance gains.

as far as the headlight airbox assembely. meh just ride the thing. it does weigh a bit but im just a fat out of shape guy anyways what does it matter.

if c3 comes out with a nice carbon peice that fits WELL. i may be down for that but i enjoy headlights and plug and play.

pods are a joke anyways. enjoy sucking in hot engine air.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no MAF. Without a way to determine how much air is coming into the motor the mixture will be off. The system runs on maps. The maps can change based on elevation and temperature but have no way to adjust fuel for more or less air.

In a carb sled you can adjust your jetting for air changes.

Even running reeds and pipes can become an issue on the etec. A fuel programmer is required to compensate.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

mctrailboss

Reaction score
like I said, i'm no expert. same as mostly everyone else. just making slightly educated guesses.

you cannot compare the etech to the carbed units however because with a carb you are mixxing fuel in all the air prior to arriving at the cylinder which means it needs to be propperly mixxed with the same or very close to the same ratio from idle to full throttle. on the etech the injectors are firing the fuel straight in to the top and most of the air at low throttle positions is not used to burn the small amount of fuel. by adding more air you are just sending more un used air through the exhaust. this is how the etechs accomplish such amazing fuel mileage. at idle the air/fuel is around 25:1 and mid throttle around 17:1. a carbed or TBI motor would burn down with these numbers.

thats how I came up with my guess. Also on my turbo the fuel controller doesnt add any fuel until the boost starts at about 6500-7000 rpm and the intake is through a screen, turbo and charge tube. this does not need an adjustment to the fuel map.

someone should give this a try and set us all straight.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I thought it had an MAF in it but without it it makes sense why it would run bad without the airbox.
Whatever ends up coming out and working as long as it uses the stock headlights and is lighter I'm gonna get it.

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
B
There is no MAF. Without a way to determine how much air is coming into the motor the mixture will be off. The system runs on maps. The maps can change based on elevation and temperature but have no way to adjust fuel for more or less air.

In a carb sled you can adjust your jetting for air changes.

Even running reeds and pipes can become an issue on the etec. A fuel programmer is required to compensate.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

I ran reeds, ypipe and pipe on my etec. No fuel programmer. Never had a single problem. Sled had great low end torque and performed flawless.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I thought it had an MAF in it but without it it makes sense why it would run bad without the airbox.
Whatever ends up coming out and working as long as it uses the stock headlights and is lighter I'm gonna get it.

Stock headlights are one of the heaviest components of that assembly

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya but I need them. Air box weighs just as much as the lights. Hopefully they come out with some good lights that are lighter but if not whatever, as long as there is some sort of light.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like I said, i'm no expert. same as mostly everyone else. just making slightly educated guesses.

you cannot compare the etech to the carbed units however because with a carb you are mixxing fuel in all the air prior to arriving at the cylinder which means it needs to be propperly mixxed with the same or very close to the same ratio from idle to full throttle. on the etech the injectors are firing the fuel straight in to the top and most of the air at low throttle positions is not used to burn the small amount of fuel. by adding more air you are just sending more un used air through the exhaust. this is how the etechs accomplish such amazing fuel mileage. at idle the air/fuel is around 25:1 and mid throttle around 17:1. a carbed or TBI motor would burn down with these numbers.

thats how I came up with my guess. Also on my turbo the fuel controller doesnt add any fuel until the boost starts at about 6500-7000 rpm and the intake is through a screen, turbo and charge tube. this does not need an adjustment to the fuel map.

Go ahead and pull your airbox and report back. :beer:

"Even running reeds and pipes can become an issue on the etec. A fuel programmer is required to compensate. "

B

I ran reeds, ypipe and pipe on my etec. No fuel programmer. Never had a single problem. Sled had great low end torque and performed flawless.

Did I say it would cause a problem? No, I said it can. Could, possibly, maybe, however you want to word it. I didn't say it would for sure cause a problem.

I have a full exhaust on my etec, improved mid to top end. Dynotech actually ran reeds, and different exhaust on the etech, with and without a fuel programmer. No gains were found with reeds alone. Adding a fuel programmer with the reeds showed gains. What did it prove? The aftermarket reeds allow more air. By not adding air you risk leaning out your sled. Will it happen? Probably not but unless you are pulling plugs to look at heat ranges, looking at piston wash and monitoring EGT's how do you know for sure?

white rad

Reaction score
Single biggest problem I have with the XM airbox is the stock intakes getting packed with snow and cutting off the airflow to the point that the sled bogs and wont get out of it own way. Wipe the intake screens clear and off we go again. So am I understanding correctly that there is no way (MAF) for the computer to account for the lack of air?

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If your sled is an MCXpress turbo it starts to boost just about immediately after throttle tip-in. By the time its spinning at 5000rpm you are making about 3-4lbs of boost. At this point your secondary injectors in your Plenum start fireing sequentially with your stock injectors. Thus changing your fuel map.

mctrailboss

Reaction score
If your sled is an MCXpress turbo it starts to boost just about immediately after throttle tip-in. By the time its spinning at 5000rpm you are making about 3-4lbs of boost. At this point your secondary injectors in your Plenum start fireing sequentially with your stock injectors. Thus changing your fuel map.

i have an aerocharger. doesnt start boosting that early.

Top Bottom