Anyone know the real deal on the 07 cranks

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at some 07's but it is very hard to get a straight answer from salesman. What is the issue with the Crank bearing and what % of the 07's have it? BRP seems to think throwing oil at it will work but that just seems to be to delay the inevitable. I am looking at an 07x and an 07 adrenaline and want to pull the trigger but have that nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach from all the internet chatter. I only want some semblance of reliability.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think BRP knows what caused the problem, a buddy of mine was given a brand new motor for his X-RS because he had over 1000 miles on his and it hadn't blown up yet. Dealer told him that BRP wanted it back so they could examine it.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there were a number that had the center crank bearing go out. seemed like the ones that went, went very early (under 300 miles).

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which were more prone to the problems; the earlr season x and xrs or the later adrenaline? or was there even a diff?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X and X-rs were prone to the failure because they were built first, I havn't heard of a adrenaline having failures.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 550miles on mine and they have been to the pin the whole time. I have also ran 2 bottles of n2o in mine and no problems yet. The one guy from the dealer that i ride with said it is also kind of self inflicked on the motor. In other words, if you do a long climb and then come down and shut it down right after, it does not give the bearings anytime to cool down and then the oil does not stay in the bearing. This is what he kind of figured was the problem with the few that came back last year. Cause with mine, im waiting to see if the motor will crater so i can get a new 800r to see if im gonna have the same fait. but time will tell. Just something to think about.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
almost all the problems where very early and the engines only had a few hundred miles on them, i dont think anything over 500 miles has had a problem, mine has 800 miles with no problems and no updates 800R X159
plus every 07 800R has warranty until next year anyways so if she blows your covered or if you experience clutching issues thats covered to.
buy a X or XRS its worth the few bucks
ps one dealer told me it was the mineral oil they were using i think bow cycle told everyone to use the synthetic and they had no issues with engines coming back, the mineral oil has a different flow rate

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
almost all the problems where very early and the engines only had a few hundred miles on them, i dont think anything over 500 miles has had a problem, mine has 800 miles with no problems and no updates 800R X159
plus every 07 800R has warranty until next year anyways so if she blows your covered or if you experience clutching issues thats covered to.
buy a X or XRS its worth the few bucks
ps one dealer told me it was the mineral oil they were using i think bow cycle told everyone to use the synthetic and they had no issues with engines coming back, the mineral oil has a different flow rate

That you are right. The mineral oil is lighter and it did not lubricate as well as the synthetic did. I have had syn in mine since new and no probs. I got mine form bow cycle. And yes like he said, the X or the XRS are worth the dollars for the small things that they came with. Titainium springs, clicker front shocks(XRS), light weight hoods and seats, etc. Just small stuff but a much nimbler sled in my mind.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The x in Summitx now stands for XP. Took the plunge today and decided to go brand new. May as well, I want to keep this sled for a few years. It gets expensive buying something every couple. Now just need to pick it up and ride it....to be continued

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been told that the early xr-s and some x models did not have enought tolorence in the crank bearing race so they would heat up and come apart. two of my buddies have 07's, one xr-s and one x both with about 1400km and just the xr-s had electrical problems and clutch problems. buddy with the xr-s is in revy right now and has not blown a belt or had any problems so i think BRP has fixed the clutching issue.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The x in Summitx now stands for XP. Took the plunge today and decided to go brand new. May as well, I want to keep this sled for a few years. It gets expensive buying something every couple. Now just need to pick it up and ride it....to be continued

The XP is the new platform/chassis on the 2003 .5 to 2007 its called REV chassis
the X package is a spring order only you can not buy one at your dealer unless someone canceled there order
the Everest model is whats available at the dealer

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The XP is the new platform/chassis on the 2003 .5 to 2007 its called REV chassis
the X package is a spring order only you can not buy one at your dealer unless someone canceled there order
the Everest model is whats available at the dealer

I think he meant the X at the end of his handle.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I also heard it was a tolerence issue. When that R engine was put out Rotax made some crank bearings tight. They were hoping that the liguid cooled cases were going to hold the temp more even. When the clutchs heated up from hard use(long pulls in deep snow) the engine crank got hotter than expected. Well heat and tight brgs don`t make for happy snowmobilers. If sleds were broke in at a easier rate for the first while these brg issues were not such a big deal but for those who bought it and broke it in hard may have overdone the breakin period. Thats why some failed and some didnt. If run easy for a while(not from the parking lot to the top)it gave a chance for the brgs to wear in a little before they were overworked. Maybe that is why some are still running out there. Ask those who had failures how it was broke in and how it was driven those first few times. I have heard many people say they just pin it right from the start no breakin. Maybe maybe not but I`m going easy for the start of my new one. Staying home and putting field miles on it first.JMHO

skidewrr

Reaction score
I have been told that it depends on how it was PDI'd, if the hose going to the oil pump was filled by the tech and all lines bled, those motors lived, ones that were run dry til they primed were not as blessed. This came from Specialty Sleds and Martin Equip. My 07 800R has 930 miles and no issues at all.

vertical

Reaction score
i broke mine in around home took it easy ,ran blue marble oil right from new. it gernaded at 853 miles. was going up the trail at renshaw when it let go. we always stop every 5-7 miles throw snow on coolers make sure they run cool. the p.t.o. side was good completely melted.

Top Bottom