Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^

Well that's just crazy if it's as you state

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We brought a fella in from Ireland and was the best decision we made. Place an add for 4 months throughout Canada with little results which allowed us to look elsewhere. Our employee pays the same taxes we do and doesn't get subsidized buy the government in any way, the only thing they did was help him find a place and get his paperwork in order. He pays the same as anyone else and I would bring 10 more over like him if I could.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Ive had an ad running in the local news paper and EI office for two straight yrs asking for a class 3 driver to operate a wireline truck in RMH. I've had 5 resumes in that time and I hired one. There's all kinds of unemployed bums in this town. I'm short handed. I'd gladly hire a boat person if they knocked on my door. Bonus for me that I only have to pay him half as much. Less drama too.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
aphalt plant operator

Is that entry level or were you looking for experienced ? Not a lot of asphalt plants around so it would be hard to find an experienced guy. I would assume the job would be seasonal and working in different places all the time.

I could see that job being hard to fill.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive had an ad running in the local news paper and EI office for two straight yrs asking for a class 3 driver to operate a wireline truck in RMH. I've had 5 resumes in that time and I hired one. There's all kinds of unemployed bums in this town. I'm short handed. I'd gladly hire a boat person if they knocked on my door. Bonus for me that I only have to pay him half as much. Less drama too.

You should advertise in southern BC, you might want to try offering shift work like 7 & 7 and hire 2 guys from out of town.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were looking for experience, job was in saskatoon so there was no travel and he was offered year round work but prefered to go home for the winters
Is that entry level or were you looking for experienced ? Not a lot of asphalt plants around so it would be hard to find an experienced guy. I would assume the job would be seasonal and working in different places all the time.

I could see that job being hard to fill.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
I used to work for a company that did the exact same thing. One of the higher up's even owned a house that he rented to the new foreign workers, and a big van he used to shuttle them to work... I was not impressed by this move, but to be 100% honest, the quality of work from the foreign guys was far better than the lazy crew they replaced, and their attitudes were better to... hey don't take me wrong here about this, I don't support what they did in any way! That's just what I saw. And I am glad that I do not work there anymore. I'm fairly certain the same thing is happening at some of your neighborhood Timmie's. Think about that when your stopping for your next coffee.
I agree our government should not be letting this sort of thing happen, while there is any sort of unemployment rate! but the foreign workers will work for less, and seem happy to do so.... now the issue is that Joe Canadian on UIC does not even want a job if he is not going to make $50hr....

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The world of Ft Mac is going into chaos I guess. Wow. Trucks are getting damaged and people getting threats. Seriously!!?? I don't think we need to resort to violence yet. COME ON!!! GROW UP.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[h=1]Canadians who allegedly lost jobs to foreign workers rehired in oilpatch[/h]

FORT MCMURRAY, Alta. – The federal government says dozens of ironworkers laid off in Alberta’s oilpatch have jobs again.Earlier this week, the government announced it was investigating allegations that the 65 workers at Imperial Oil’s (TSX:IMO) Kearl project were replaced with workers from Croatia at half the pay.
An official with Employment Canada now says all of the laid-off workers have received job offers on other projects.
The company at the centre of the controversy, Pacer Promec Joint Venture, has issued a news release saying it will re-hire Canadians to positions that had been filled by temporary foreign workers.
The company says a subcontractor brought in the workers, and thought it had followed the rules.
The company says the foreign workers should have been put in projects experiencing a labour shortage.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Companies want the taxpayer to pay for training skilled workers.

I don't really think industry has made an effort to train Canadians Everybody is always whining about a shortage of skilled workers but I just don't any companies offering skills training.

If we really don't have enough Canadians to do the work, maybe we should slow down a bit, all the wages TFW make leave our country forever...

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The big problem is that these guys normally send most of there money home they are temps. So it probably does not add to the economy.

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

Reaction score
Website
www.echographics.ca
We brought a fella in from Ireland and was the best decision we made. Place an add for 4 months throughout Canada with little results which allowed us to look elsewhere. Our employee pays the same taxes we do and doesn't get subsidized buy the government in any way, the only thing they did was help him find a place and get his paperwork in order. He pays the same as anyone else and I would bring 10 more over like him if I could.

I can totally agree that sometimes we need to look elsewhere for people, you did look to canadian's couldn't find one for what you needed and got someone from ireland... he's obviously here to work, get paid, pay taxes like the rest of us and generally become a productive member of our Canadian society... to which I say right on welcome to Canada eh!

However more and more were getting people either not looking to Canadian sources or.. in my case, replacing someone who is really good at what they do and worth the money your paying them (Increased sales of about 10 grand a month, with less staff than previous years.. you would think that something was going right...) with foreign workers trying to squeeze more profit by abusing government hiring incentives... that's what pisses me off.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said. Our govt allows the abuse and has set the system up that way, just for that reason. To benefit their business friends. Screw the rest of us!

I can totally agree that sometimes we need to look elsewhere for people, you did look to canadian's couldn't find one for what you needed and got someone from ireland... he's obviously here to work, get paid, pay taxes like the rest of us and generally become a productive member of our Canadian society... to which I say right on welcome to Canada eh!

However more and more were getting people either not looking to Canadian sources or.. in my case, replacing someone who is really good at what they do and worth the money your paying them (Increased sales of about 10 grand a month, with less staff than previous years.. you would think that something was going right...) with foreign workers trying to squeeze more profit by abusing government hiring incentives... that's what pisses me off.

Top Bottom