Anyone having good luck with their Polaris?

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand it runs lean in the midrange, seen some chatter about a Power Commander or such to control fuel? Need to find out more about that,,,

PM OnlyPolaris, he is running a PC 5 on his 800RMK, never really asked him about it, other than it has added HP.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the Power Commander actually works to fix these mysterious Polaris problems, you'd think that Polaris would use this information or product to fix the problem at the factory or dealership level.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our good friends run and swear by Polaris. I can't figure out why: his Dragon has been rebuilt to the tune of $15,XXX dollars. Somehow, he has managed to have all of that warrantied, but the shop has finally told him "NO MORE". In terms of running well, his sled is a peice of POO, pun intended! In terms of warranty, he is one lucky bastage!! I just don't understand how he could be happy with all that down-time and fighting one problem after another??

And then he says he is going to buy Polaris again, but maybe go with another dealer close to home... I think his warranty-luck is about to run out too:cool:

Did you read theTitle of this thread? We have all heard about what junk these sleds are, but thanks for your input.

Trench:mad:

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PM OnlyPolaris, he is running a PC 5 on his 800RMK, never really asked him about it, other than it has added HP.

If the Power Commander actually works to fix these mysterious Polaris problems, you'd think that Polaris would use this information or product to fix the problem at the factory or dealership level.

I have a PC3 on my 08 Dragon, the Dynotech program I used adds up to 20% more fuel at some mid range points. I put this on for piece of mind after reading all the horror stories. The sled sounds like it's running richer and plug readings verify that it is. I don't know if this will make it last longer but I hope so. The factory has to pass emisions testing with these machines, so they are set very lean to pass.

Trench

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No PC on mine, 680 miles and pistons show no wear at all. Runs strong no hiccups, bogs or temp issues.Last season I had bad stumbling at 6-6500 rpms had Polaris checkout and they set TPS and replaced stator and lower injector harness.It has run good since.I still think it's the sloppy pistons that is causing the failures not the mapping.Heading out to Gibbons to torture it some more tomorrow.:d

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a used '07 700 Dragon 155" in Dec, so far no issues - about 2200km (or mi?) on it. Went with the 700 due to so many 800 issues I read about. Now it just needs a turbo to get some power out of it. :D

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have also rode Polaris all my life. I have owned 13 different sleds, first one was a 1971 530 Custom II and currently I ride a 2011 Assault.:d In the mix I owned three 800 Dragons, one 2008 (put 3800 miles on it) and two 2009's. I never had an issue with any of them.:) The only mod was a SLP single pipe on the first two and a SLP pipe with a PCV fuel controller on the third Dragon.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No PC on mine, 680 miles and pistons show no wear at all. Runs strong no hiccups, bogs or temp issues.Last season I had bad stumbling at 6-6500 rpms had Polaris checkout and they set TPS and replaced stator and lower injector harness.It has run good since.I still think it's the sloppy pistons that is causing the failures not the mapping.Heading out to Gibbons to torture it some more tomorrow.:d

Found some info on Snowest about an outfit in Idaho selling a kit with Wiseco pistons and a shim that goes between the case and cylinders. Supposed to make the pistons more stable inside the bore, cost is only slightly more than a stock piston kit.

Trench

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They can't because with the 4 injectors it wouldn't pass EPA emission tests. If you took a sled with the power commander on it, it would fail the test.

Overthehill

Reaction score
In 1977 I bought a 1976 440 TX free air. Rode it hard for 4 years. The only work I put into it was pulling the rope to start it. Sold it in 1981 for the same as I paid for it and bought a 1981 Cutlass SS 440. Rode it once, through a barbed wire fence at full speed. I hadn't even made a payment on it and the dealer let me return it at no cost to me. I never got hurt as the sled took the brunt of the damage, but I never rode again for 25 years. In 1982 I got a job as a mechanic in a family owned sled shop, and had to work on them all. I mean John Deer, Harley Davidson, Yamaha, Arctic Cat, Rupp, Ski-Doo, Moto Ski, Ski Roule, etc. The Yamaha was probably the easiest to work on besides Polaris IMHO. Most of them were a complete nightmare. Not too many Polaris came in actually. Sorry, I'm getting off topic here. lol. Or am I? In 2006 I bought a 700 RMK long track and could not believe the arm stretching power it has compared to the sleds I rode in the past. I've been riding it hard ever since, but I will never ride at night again. I've also ridden other brands mentioned here since the old days but you can't beat the King as far as I'm concerned.;)

Top Bottom