Anyone have any first hand experience with Premier Buildings?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
We are looking at possibly purchasing one of these buildings and turning it into a cabin, I know they come unfinished on the inside but what's the build quality like? For the price to they don't seem to be a terrible deal. We are going to physically look at them on Saturday but thought maybe our snowandmud friends had some experience with them.

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
  • Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
That cabin sold for $62500
that's way more than what I'm wanting, but good to know.

Basically we are wanting a small cabin with lofts, maybe a small counter with some cupboards, small "breakfast bar" but generally it's a place to sleep, year round. Will require a wood stove, and good insulation.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are probably some of the best built but ridiculously priced. My dads neighbor builds these. Spray foamed everywhere.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Laubour is expensive. Might be best off to build it yourself.

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Laubour is expensive. Might be best off to build it yourself.
that's the way it is looking for sure Dan, we're still going to go have a look and see if we get any really super inspirational ideas from the premier ones........

Doing it ourselves will also allow for proper insulation of the floor, and pest control.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are looking at possibly purchasing one of these buildings and turning it into a cabin, I know they come unfinished on the inside but what's the build quality like? For the price to they don't seem to be a terrible deal. We are going to physically look at them on Saturday but thought maybe our snowandmud friends had some experience with them.

Those look like ones that are built in the old centre point performance building. If you’re looking for something small like that look at Seabox depot in Leduc. They build nice cabins from sea cans.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Those look like ones that are built in the old centre point performance building. If you’re looking for something small like that look at Seabox depot in Leduc. They build nice cabins from sea cans.
that's the local dealer for them yep, we've basically decided we're going to go look and take some ideas from their "prefabs" to apply to our own build.

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would ask for references from past clients and take a serious look at the builder itself. I have a neighbour who purchased one for his lake lot. He ordered it to the lock up stage. He was too excited to get the building to have a good look at the quality before he signed the check (it was late getting to him because of the lumber fiasco last spring). I spotted the windows/doors were not Alberta Building Code compliant (flashings) and offered to fix it for him -he held back money till it was fixed. When I went in to fix things, the errors were blatant and would have caused him significant money in the future. Pure ignorance on their behalf. They had no idea of codes and the issues were interior and exterior. The builder was ex Hutterite in central Alberta.

Interior issues include very poorly installed T&G pine ceiling, metal electrical boxes on exterior walls, crooked walls etc. Many more issues if one was to have a good look at it and pick it apart.

The client supplied the windows (which I educated him after the fact) and the builder installed. The builder has a responsibility of knowing all codes and general good building practises.

This is was the cabin
IMG_1702.jpeg

These are some of the exterior issues once the siding was stripped.

IMG_1945.jpeg

I installed the 3M. The slice in the house wrap was where they pushed 2 4' rolls together and installed vertically.

IMG_1948.jpeg

IMG_1952.jpeg

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
We reached out to the Morinville Hutterite Colony and were quoted $24,000+ to build the same shell that Premier could do for $17,000.

Top Bottom