Anyone been ICE Fishing lately?? are the Alberta lakes accessible?

hihi962

Reaction score
All I hear is how there is flood water everywhere!! I need to fish, what's the deal!?
I have not fished in over a month, but the 'ol man keeps saying he is getting reports of too much snow and flood water to even move on any lake in northern alberta.
anyone experience anything different?

is it really that hard to go sledding on a lake with the recent snow?

jeffg463

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a cabin on Island Lake, by the town of Athabasca, and the there is a shirt load of water on the lake under the snow. There are guys out there still fishing but you have to find a dry spot, which there are a few. I still sled on the lake but I don't stop:d
Some guy plowed a strip all around the lake down to bare ice so I imagine that area would re-freeze without the insulating blanket of snow, so I guess it's a crap shoot if you just head out looking to fish:)

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Was on Cold :Lake yesterday and Yes, there is some major flood water all over.

Worst flood water conditions in years.

Best snow conditions in years on the other hand.

We measured eight inches of ice.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a buddy of mine has a cabin at alberta beach, but im not sure, they lost 5 out of 7 sleds in the lake yesterday, recovered 4 and going back today for the 5th.

hihi962

Reaction score
Lost 5 sleds!? thats something you might hear in early dec.. but at the end of Jan.. crazy!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a buddy of mine has a cabin at alberta beach, but im not sure, they lost 5 out of 7 sleds in the lake yesterday, recovered 4 and going back today for the 5th.

and they still plan on running the trailseekers rally across the lake on the 5th, different lake yes but i am sure similiar conditions.:eek: thanks ill meet them at the grazing range.:d

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Did the sleds break through the ice or were they slushed in?

ridndirty

Reaction score
and they still plan on running the trailseekers rally across the lake on the 5th, different lake yes but i am sure similiar conditions.:eek: thanks ill meet them at the grazing range.:d

Sign in for the Trailseekers poker rally is right in the town of Wabamun, not at the staging area like in the past. 120 km loop this year. Bring fuel.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sign in for the Trailseekers poker rally is right in the town of Wabamun, not at the staging area like in the past. 120 km loop this year. Bring fuel.

was talking to the groomers this sat. actually lent them jerry cans as they forgot to get fuel:eek: before going to the trail.
they are trying to get something lined up to have fuel at the staging area as there is no fuel at seba.

Top Bottom