Anybody try an Optima battery?

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of trying an Optima battery in my GM 1/2 ton. Had issue over the weekend with the main battery (I have 2) frozen solid. My #2 battery is an Optima yellow top...still had 12.6v. Thinking of putting the red top in for a starting battery. Website calls for a "34R" which has reversed posts for this application. Anybody try one? Good/bad/other?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the red top in my '06 GM with an 8.1, three years so far and still starts at -30 without being plugged in. with this recent cold snap the wife's '10 gave us some grief and I will be replacing that one with a red top as well. Walmart had the best price, and 3 year replacement warranty.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had returned 6 Red tops under warranty between 2003 and last year until I finally figured out they're Chinese junk. They will probably work fine if the vehicle is driven every day, but if the battery sits for more than 2 weeks at a time the battery will fail quickly, even while disconnected.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I had to return 2 batteries, optima red tops, they are not the quality they use to be. Don't waste your time. I sold the truck or else i probably would have been replacing another one soon.

saltywalt

Reaction score
I've run the same one in my mud bogger for 4 or 5 years now. Sits in the cold shed all winter. Starts my truck every spring without ever charging it. Not sure what the new ones are like.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Thinking of trying an Optima battery in my GM 1/2 ton. Had issue over the weekend with the main battery (I have 2) frozen solid. My #2 battery is an Optima yellow top...still had 12.6v. Thinking of putting the red top in for a starting battery. Website calls for a "34R" which has reversed posts for this application. Anybody try one? Good/bad/other?

2 batteries in the same vehicle should ALWAYS be replaced in pairs, and ALWAYS 2 of the exact same batteries.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 batteries in the same vehicle should ALWAYS be replaced in pairs, and ALWAYS 2 of the exact same batteries.
IF they were ran in parallel, I agree. The yellow top has an isolator between it and the starting battery.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to return 2 batteries, optima red tops, they are not the quality they use to be. Don't waste your time. I sold the truck or else i probably would have been replacing another one soon.

Ive heard the same from friend who tried the optimas too. Maybe it's just me but it seems that no battery anymore stands up worth a ****! I've tried top end cdn tire stuff, die hards, interstate, and they all seem to fail sooner than they used to and way sooner than OEM stuff. I went back to Ford for the batteries in my diesel truck. Time will tell how they last.
Maybe the new AGM stuff is the way to go?

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went through 3 red tops in a year and a half when I had my 02 trans am. However I did have some discharge issues with the car. They just didn't revive for me like a convential battery.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I've noticed is the Walmart ones aren't as good as the ones you get at a battery store like battery doctor.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive heard the same from friend who tried the optimas too. Maybe it's just me but it seems that no battery anymore stands up worth a ****! I've tried top end cdn tire stuff, die hards, interstate, and they all seem to fail sooner than they used to and way sooner than OEM stuff. I went back to Ford for the batteries in my diesel truck. Time will tell how they last.
Maybe the new AGM stuff is the way to go?

This is why I buy the cheap-o ones at Costco. When they chit the bed, take me back no questions asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

Optima way too expensive for what you get.... I run regular exide or stock replacement batteries.... My diesel dodges have all sat outside year around, never plugged in, and always start without any trouble, even after sitting for 3 weeks in -20*c+ temperatures......

Now as for your frozen battery...how old is that battery? A battery can only freeze if the specific gravity drops to near water(obvious). If it was a good, newer battery and this happened, it means you more than likely have a battery drain... Something is draining power from your battery over long period of time. Replacing the battery may temporarily mask the problem. You should do a battery drain test and compare the battery drain to what the maximum allowable drain should be.... Consider this will be in milliamperes. Worth the time to test, before spending big bucks on optima batteries. Sure an optima has its place, but not in everyday regular commuter trucks/cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Optima way too expensive for what you get.... I run regular exide or stock replacement batteries.... My diesel dodges have all sat outside year around, never plugged in, and always start without any trouble, even after sitting for 3 weeks in -20*c+ temperatures......

Now as for your frozen battery...how old is that battery? A battery can only freeze if the specific gravity drops to near water(obvious). If it was a good, newer battery and this happened, it means you more than likely have a battery drain... Something is draining power from your battery over long period of time. Replacing the battery may temporarily mask the problem. You should do a battery drain test and compare the battery drain to what the maximum allowable drain should be.... Consider this will be in milliamperes. Worth the time to test, before spending big bucks on optima batteries. Sure an optima has its place, but not in everyday regular commuter trucks/cars.

Been there, done that....on my 06 Gm 5.3 and now this 2010 5.3.....I spent the large on both of them having a proper draw test(s) done....3 computers that shut off at different times and have different milliamp draws....radar detector, stereo memory, command start(s), and whatever else lurks....both these trucks just EAT batteries. When you let everything go "to sleep" there is still 45 (?...going by memory) milliamps. If you do the math, it will draw the battery below 12v in 3 days....then it won't start without a boost. In the winter it is two days. Both my GM's were like this. By adding an isolated second batt, I can always "self boost". If I hit the command start (factory) and it doesn't go, means the main batt is below a certain voltage. I generally just have to go out with the key and hit it....the isolated battery kicks over when the main batt is low, but won't work with the command start. This past weekend with the main batt frozen solid, even the "self boost" didn't work.

I have a theory as to why the batts don't last.....they don't like being continuously deep(ish) discharged and recharged....plus, the GM charging system charges at (sometimes...depending on the computers mood) 15v. I think the deep discharge along with the 15v (too high) charge, is killing the batteries. An AGM battery can stand deep discharges better and is spec'd to be charged at over 15v. Maybe an AGM will last.

Oh, and this is the 3rd battery since 2010 in this truck...no aftermarket stereo, no aftermarket anything....stock. Killed the AC Delco and now two NAPA 750CCA/900CA batteries. And yes, I unplug the radar detector in the winter...even though I know it is 14 mAh.
My 06 had aftermarket command start (good one, installed professionally, not a 99 buck scotch-lock special) and a killer stereo....so the dealer blamed that stuff every time. The stereo shop did the first draw test for me...then I had a local shop do it again and they got the same numbers....the starter and stereo all worked properly and had no more draw that a stock stereo.

Last edited:

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I would put the radar detector onto "switched" power instead of "full" live battery voltage...

Just plugs into cig lighter. I tell ya, I've jumped through the hoops on these GM's. The aftermarket stereo in my old one....found out that when you open the door, or hit the auto locks (or any draw occurs for whatever reason) it would turn the amps on, because the door chimes and beeps go through the stereo....the stereo powers up, the amps power up.....sooooo I had the stereo shop set the amps up to only come on with the key on ONLY. That helped some of the draw....but not all. I likes me my Gm 1/2 ton car-trucks, but gonna be a Dodge in the driveway soon if I gotta keep doing this.....

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had Canadian tires's version of the optima for 15+ years now and its still going strong. Best battery i have ever owned. Had it sit in my shop for a few years and just used it for jump starting. Fired it in my diesel when the batteries died and fired it up no problem.

Top Bottom