Anybody ever use/heard of Sacrifical Anode/Cathodic Method for rust on steel)

Wyeth

Reaction score
I just painted on rust converter, & 2 other coats of undercoating. I was told of this and read up on it, and would like to Tack on zinc, zinc coated, or alumium plates (as Sacrifical Anodes) to your steel structure, acts as the sacrifical metal, so your other steel frame wont rust out, Id like to do this to my Sled Trailer, to help stop rusting, (of course the other issue with the 2 metals touching (which is a no ! NO!) aluminum and steel dont mix, SO my question is anyone know of or did this, what the best metal to use, and where to get it, shd I just go to a Metal Supermarket and by Galvanized zinc coated whatever, or use more aluminum plates.??? The Marine (boat) Anodes could be expensive.

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
The company I work for speaciallizes is corrosion protection and we manufacture anodes.... I don't claim to know fawk all about the process itself but I'm sure I can ask an expert for you on monday morning and get you some answers.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work with them every day. We use the for water main line valves. In this case it increases the life of the valve by 20+ years. If you have diffrent metals just run a jumper wire from whatever metal to your annode. It won't entirely stop the corosion 100% but it will slow it a lot. Not sure how the automotive ones work but they must stay moist to be active. We also run them on our eagle/outlaw jet boat for salt water, but they stay hydrated all the time, and to stop corrosion.

Wyeth

Reaction score
I have read so much on this, I feel like a scientist x=y/pie, it sound like a great thing, why isnt everyone doing it for rusting, how many trailers, antique cars are getting eaten by the cancer, wheres a good place to pickup anodes, boat dealers are expensive, would like to get straight from plant, or metal place in Edm. Anodes have the better metals in them, but what's next best thing to it, I ws thinking, zinc coated plates, or aluminum plates to tack/screw on, would need alot of them to get good protection. Thanks for all info

Last edited:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have read so much on this, I feel like a scientist x=y/pie, it sound like a great thing, why isnt everyone doing it for rusting, how many trailers, antique cars are getting eaten by the cancer, wheres a good place to pickup anodes, boat dealers are expensive, would like to get straight from plant, or metal place in Edm. Anodes have the better metals in them, but what's next best thing to it, I ws thinking, zinc coated plates, or aluminum plates to tack/screw on, would need alot of them to get good protection. Thanks for all info

well by the sounds of boggers post you slip him some money and meet him at the back door! or call him! lol

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Well the experts tell me that unless you are going to park your trailer in your swimming pool cathodic protection is not going to do much for you. there is only a current when wet and even then the current will only protect a small area in around the anode.... The corosion guys advise for a trailer pressure wash and tremclad any exposed areas anualy is your best bet. Infact our corrosion control meathods stop at grade, it's all underground or under water....

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who do you work for bogger? I've been around the corrosion and cathodic control industry for 10+ yrs and hated every day of it, lol. Just like bogger said, a cathodic system WILL NOT work on anything above grade, their has to be an electrolite (soil, water ) for the current path. These corrosion control systems you can buy at cdn tire are smoke and mirrors and actually the head engineer at the firm I used to work at debunked the orignial manufacture of this product. They just came back out under a different name a few years later and are re selling.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Corrpro Canada....

Who do you work for bogger? I've been around the corrosion and cathodic control industry for 10+ yrs and hated every day of it, lol. Just like bogger said, a cathodic system WILL NOT work on anything above grade, their has to be an electrolite (soil, water ) for the current path. These corrosion control systems you can buy at cdn tire are smoke and mirrors and actually the head engineer at the firm I used to work at debunked the orignial manufacture of this product. They just came back out under a different name a few years later and are re selling.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Area Safety Manager, Canadian Operations.... i replaced Triston

Oh, when did Triston leave? I knew Matt who recommended triston for the position when he left. I used to be in the ICD department, which I'm sure you have your own opinions about, lol.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Triston left in June, I started in August....as whole the company needs to work on moral and retention...I'm different than Mat and Triston, I'm a field guy. I can see where thier frustrations lied it is definitly more than a one person job...but my priority is in the field, if they are unhappy with the paper side of things they can hire someone to do that... I'm not an administrator, 2 months in now, we'll see how it goes

Oh, when did Triston leave? I knew Matt who recommended triston for the position when he left. I used to be in the ICD department, which I'm sure you have your own opinions about, lol.

Top Bottom