Any Volvo Outdrive mechanics on here

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Volvo sx out drive with a seized upper. I replaced it with a used one that i bought. I am having trouble with it going into forward gear. I am thinking the cone clutch is slipping. sometime it engages sometimes it needs a higher rpm and bangs into gear. Reverse works fine all the time. I tried adjusting the linkage back and forth a few turns but there was little change. is there anything else that could cause this problem. could I just swap out the old clutch for the one in my siezed drive or will i need to do any shimming?

clutchy1

Reaction score
not sure if you got it figured out, but after building a couple volvos, i highly suggest you take it to a shop, unless you own all the special tools to shim it properly, volvo;s will eat themselves if there even a couple .000 of an inch out, the gears also have numbers on them that you have to either add or subtract to your final shimming, very complicated drive to build.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
finaly got it working a few oil changes and a new clutch and it is working great. Thanks for the reply. did you have any luck getting used parts or were you re building with all new. do you have any good conections for prices on gears i have the old drive still here i would like to rebuild one day. i thought they were a pretty nice drive to work on but i would be lost with the shimming i never got that far into mine.

clutchy1

Reaction score
The ones i built was in school, but some shops could have used sets of gears layin around, what kind of drive is it? a grey volvo or a white one? volvo sx?

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ones i built was in school, but some shops could have used sets of gears layin around, what kind of drive is it? a grey volvo or a white one? volvo sx?

1999 Grey volvo sx with 1.60 gear ratio. I replaced the upper part of the drive but now my gear ratio is wrong. the upper was from a four cylinder. I was told the uppers were all the same but found out later that they are slightly diffrent on 4cyl so the ratio is off a bit more like 1.83 ratio now

Top Bottom