Any suggestions for Nelson/Castlegar area

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Headin to Nelson for 4-5 days, takin the bikes & fishing rods, anyone have a suggestion for a "must ride" trail?

We'll likely hit up the old tracks along Arrow lake for an afternoon, done it before and its cool to go through the old tunnels. Also might head up to Snowwater cabin or Elephant Mountain. We are pretty familar with the area and staying with family. One day will be with less experienced riders, then another will be with more experienced.

Not looking for hare scrambles and tough terrain, but a 1/2 to full day ride that takes you on some pretty scenic routes.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be able to get to top of Copper mtn by now (accessed from bottom of Snowater/Rover) or Giveout ck south of Nelson, the last stretch is a bit sketchy on bikes but I've seen good riders get to the top with no problem. Lemon ck or 6 mile lakes is a good place to ride, there are a few different ways to loop over to Springer ck and back and Sasquatch lake is supposed to be decent fishing though I've never tried. Koch ck up Slocan valley has good riding and lots of logging roads, not sure when/if the ck is open but used to fish for Cutthroat years ago. Anywhere around Salmo is good riding, lots of mines to explore too. Drop me an email if you want more specific directions.
rks442@hotmail.com

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
try to keep your clothes on.. those doukhabors will try anything twice...lol

hippiekiller

Reaction score
Stuart Ck/Erie Ck pass is good, Barrett Lake outside of Ymir, Sheep Ck. outside of Salmo, the pend'oreille area is really scenic, and the moto track outside of castelgar is fun...there is some really fun singletrack on Rover Ck in nelson, and up the New denver highway theres mt buchanen, retallck, sandon and idaho peak...

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks fella's -

Headed up Rover the first day, over to Glade, then back around to Snowater Cabin. We did head up to Copper Mtn yesterday, we went in from the Bedford end, it was a hot one! The quads did go up to the top, I ditched the riding gear the second half of the day and the big steep hill deffinetly had some loose stuff so us two wheel guys didn't venture up. Saw a few bears.

Went up Barrett, Lost Lake, Sheep Creek and the Pend'oreille a few years ago, I don't think its in our agenda this week. Thought about hitting up the Moto Track on the Bombie but haven't decided yet.

6 mile used to be a favorite fishing spot but its pretty week through there now. Haven't gone all the way through Lemon Creek yet, might have to try sometime. Sasq does have some good size Brookies in it, better fished with a float tube.

Gonna ride the Boundry trail today and enjoy the long smooth trail and some tunnels. Been a few years since we have done that.

I am travelling with one of them doukhabors so I think I am safe, although some nights I wonder.

We spend a lot of time in this area, lots of family and friends out here. I think its time we found some sort of employmet and made it our backyard.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:nopics:just sayin
nice area out there wife lived there for about 4 yrs before we met been there a couple times myself. love it.
some of her fam still lives in castlegar and kaslo.
would really like to get out there in winter though, with my sled.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll have a few pics posted when we get back, I didn't have the camera with me, but my girlfriend did. Hard to say what she took pics of.

Beautiful area for sure, we ride the Norn's during winter. Its worth the drive.

Top Bottom