any smart mechanics out there who can help?

tntsmallmotor

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Kawasaki prairie 650.. I just rebuilt the top end, new piston and rings, the quad starts and runs great, soon as the motor gets hot it starts to smoke. but the first 15 mins when cold it don't smoke at all???????????? is it valves?? or what u thinking.. thanks for the help

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how many times have you run it up to temperature, and for how long? just wondering if it isn't oil in your pipe or something burning off

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, sounds like left over in the exhaust. If its not knocking take it for a good run and see what happens.

tntsmallmotor

Reaction score
ya ive only got it up to temp a few times but only for a few mins. so I will fire it up and take it for a rip tomorrow, I will keep u updated thanks guys

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What color is the smoke? Is it sweet smelling? (coolant)

ya ive only got it up to temp a few times but only for a few mins. so I will fire it up and take it for a rip tomorrow, I will keep u updated thanks guys
can you answer Dave's query? might help a bit for a keyboard diagnosis....if it's antifreeze you can discard the oil in the pipe theory

tntsmallmotor

Reaction score
It is smoking from exhaust, but its hard to say if its oil smoke or antifreeze whats best way to tell, its not to blue, but kinda greyish...

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
blue haze is oil and a white haze with a sweet smell is antifreeze. Grey???? DaveB??

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's my guess...leaky head gasket. Likely was an air bubble in the cooling system and it overheated it. Doesn't show up until it gets warm....

Last edited:

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That don't sound good. This might sound crazy but put your hand behind the tail pipe for a few seconds when it starts smoking then smell it, if it's sweet you have coolant burning. If you can't smell anything you're going to have to taste (don't swallow), again coolant will taste sweet.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That don't sound good. This might sound crazy but put your hand behind the tail pipe for a few seconds when it starts smoking then smell it, if it's sweet you have coolant burning. If you can't smell anything you're going to have to taste (don't swallow), again coolant will taste sweet.

I love the taste test. I took a leak in front of buddies truck once...when he came out and seen the puddle, he figured he'd give it a finger swipe-taste taste....turned out to be rum, not antifreeze.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the taste test. I took a leak in front of buddies truck once...when he came out and seen the puddle, he figured he'd give it a finger swipe-taste taste....turned out to be rum, not antifreeze.

Worse would have been pee.

It's amber like some coolant is.

sent from my HTC while working

Top Bottom