Any real fixes working for polaris 800;s

Stumpy

Reaction score
I,m really interested if any body has fixed any of these 2008-2011 800;s even after all updates are done .

1) MY FIX NEW JUGS ,NEW PISTONS, RINGS NEW TOP-END WITH ADDITION OF POWER COMMANDER 5

2) ANY OTHER FIXES IVE HEARD POSS REPLACE BIGGER JUGS AND PISTON RODS NOW IF THATS TRUE I,M A LITTLE LATE TO DO THAT , BUT IF SO IS THAT THE REAL FIX

3) WE REALLY NEED A FORUM HEADER UNDER POLARIS CHAT FOR 800 DRAGONS OR ENGINE FROM 2008/TILL NOW :rant:::confused::confused:

Last edited:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not get an AFR so you can monitor your air fuel ratio and hopefully avoid and more lean situations. I assume the power commander lets you add and subtract fuel?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fix it so it runs and sell it [ or give it away ] like everyone else

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah right:rolleyes:

well it seems to be working for other guys. the aftermarket pistons give you tighter tollerances which are now in spec. this eliminates piston rock and the scuffing you get. power commander get rid of the lean spot in the mid range.

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He's right, in the 800CFI-4 engines from 2008-2010 it seems to be the best fix so far. The tighter tolerances of the piston in the aftermarket is better than the update kit that came out, as well as the power commander which will allow you to add more fuel in the lean midrange and subtract more on the top. Another nice fix is to use the coolant bypass on the engine, prevents the "cold rush" of coolant back into the engine, wouldn't hurt any manufacturer block to intall on, but just more added insurance.

2011 is a different motor design, it is a CFI-2 and has not had the issues the CFI-4 had as long as you make sure the oil lines are not pinched. Different thread though.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most promising thing looks to be a kit coming out of Idaho, from PMS motor sports, they are calling it the Fix. The theory is that the short, loose fitting pistons Polaris puts in these engines rock in the cylinder bore causing the piston skirts to fail. The kit consists of a spacer for between the case and cylinders, and some longer Wiseco pistons, which stop the rocking motion. The kit is advertized for $585 U.S. plus shipping. You can check out Timbos thread in the Polaris IQ section on this forum, or check on Snowest. This is a fairly new product so not much time on them but the guys who have done this sound very happy.

Trench:d

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most promising thing looks to be a kit coming out of Idaho, from PMS motor sports, they are calling it the Fix. The theory is that the short, loose fitting pistons Polaris puts in these engines rock in the cylinder bore causing the piston skirts to fail. The kit consists of a spacer for between the case and cylinders, and some longer Wiseco pistons, which stop the rocking motion. The kit is advertized for $585 U.S. plus shipping. You can check out Timbos thread in the Polaris IQ section on this forum, or check on Snowest. This is a fairly new product so not much time on them but the guys who have done this sound very happy.

Trench:d

supposed to be rental companies with thousands of miles on these kits with no issues. and we all know how rentals get driven.

jtilley

Reaction score
It all sounds good but lets face it why hasn't Polairs fixed the problem?
I went through 7 motors with my 08 and 2 not on warrenty because I had a SLP pipe and power comander. I never went to that company from the states with the pistons but I was going to. The last thing that went was the crank after tring out the cooling gizmo and thats when I had enough. My dealership gave me $4600 for it with the blown crank if I bought a new one plus they paid for the 4 years warrenty. Some food for thought but if they did it for me they should do it for everyone. Here is Polairs head guys e-mail who I talked to : william.fisher@polarisind.com

rooster 54

Reaction score
I,m really interested if any body has fixed any of these 2008-2011 800;s even after all updates are done .

1) MY FIX NEW JUGS ,NEW PISTONS, RINGS NEW TOP-END WITH ADDITION OF POWER COMMANDER 5

2) ANY OTHER FIXES IVE HEARD POSS REPLACE BIGGER JUGS AND PISTON RODS NOW IF THATS TRUE I,M A LITTLE LATE TO DO THAT , BUT IF SO IS THAT THE REAL FIX

3) WE REALLY NEED A FORUM HEADER UNDER POLARIS CHAT FOR 800 DRAGONS OR ENGINE FROM 2008/TILL NOW :rant:::confused::confused:

The 2010 and 2011 engines have no problems.At least nobody reported one except for the few ones with a kink in the oil line.
I checked on some forums, and did not see almost any trouble.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best fixes for the Poo 800's is to hook 10' of chain onto it and drop it in the lake and you can use it as a lite boat anchor. Best fix I know of.:beer::d

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The PMS kit is working vary well more power and pulling 2 more grams of weight better comp and quiet. I will have 2 of the PMS (fix kits) next week if anyone wants to see one and I will be installing both kits as soon as I get them. The pistons are 40 grams lighter than stock and fatter to suck up some of the slop and longer to suck up the slap. The guys at PMS realy know whats going on with the 800 cfi and have made a good kit. The one kit is going into my own dragon and I will run the piss out of it to make sure its good. I am dealer for there kits and will try to keep them in stock. I would not run the gold polaris oil and switch to redline or legend SLP has a good wright up on the SLP site about the polaris oil and premix a bit in the tank
Hope this helps.

sxmtx

Reaction score
So did the fix kit actually work.. I'm buying a 09 assault 800 what else should I do?

Tang

Reaction score
Just a few quick comments.............

I have a 2010 Dragon 800 155 and it has worked perfect for the most part since new. The voltage regulator went out on it at about 150 miles. I put the fix in this year that Parkland Motors sells and seems to be working great. I pulls a little better on the RPM on top and sounds nice and quit when you start it cold (no piston rattle).

It was showing some signs of piston scuffing on both exhaust and intake side. I'm no mechanic, just have some buddies I hang with that do small engine repair for a living. The original pistons had way to much clearance for the pots...............if I remember correct is was something like .009 thou (not sure if I wrote this right).

I might sound like a twit, but I like the way this engine runs. It has great throttle response, never seems to miss a beat when I grab the throttle and just over all runs fine. From the forum posts, I know people have melted down the engine lots and have had a few long nights in the hotel room killing a Gibson bottle drowning their bad luck.

I hope my luck is still shiny side up, and it always brings me home.

Top Bottom