Any Plumbers from the Edmonton area? Looking to de-clog a drain Sunday Feb 9th

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As the title says,

Anyone a plumber? looking for extra $$$. need a line snaked. Basement toilet isn't flushing anymore, spent 4hrs plunging it, (Problem started Friday night) its still Plugged, Bought a 15' snake today. feeds all the way through the toilet no issues. I opened one of the drain spouts further down, Can see a water level in it, Snaked that. again all 15' and felt nothing. Pipe is clogged further down. A little worried that all the upstairs toilets will be effected by this. Wondering if maybe my drain is frozen????? If you got a longer snake or are a plumber and can lend a hand tomorrow, (sunday). Will pay in Cash.

Thanks

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you in the country if so check your septic tank and make sure its ok, see if the second compartment is not full and pump is working. If full you can check the pump by unplugging the pump and seperate the pump cord from the piggyback plug going to the float and plug the pump in directly and see if it works. If that is all good yes you will need a power snake or something close to it. You should have a clean out close to where the sewer line leaves the house. Your upstairs sewer will start to come up in the basement if there is a blockage downstream.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
House has a septic field. (haven't been here a year yet).

I had the tanks emptied in summer.

All upstairs toilets seem fine, basement one is not working. But using a 15' snake you'd think that the snake would have passed throught the toilet piping and into the main line.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've noticed my basement bathroom drains have slowed down some. Plunged the shower stall drain last week and it brought up a bunch of gelled goup...from soap/shampoo I guess. Do drains need any preventive maintenance ?

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
House has a septic field. (haven't been here a year yet).

I had the tanks emptied in summer.

All upstairs toilets seem fine, basement one is not working. But using a 15' snake you'd think that the snake would have passed throught the toilet piping and into the main line.
I would say not you may have to find a longer one gonna be #itty. How far away are you from the main stack from upstairs into the basement floor.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I gave Canuck Plumbing a call, they sent a fella out.

He tried plunging, tried the auger, pulled the toilet, tried the 15' snake. nothing.

Then we pulled the lid off the tank, could hear the pump running, the level was high. (and was starting to come into the basement through the floor drain).
He noticed that the pumps discharge line was frozen, covered in ice. Took a little torch, heat the line, and the pump sound changed the water level started to drop.

I will be lowering in a Heat bulb on a trouble light, try and keep that line warm. Summer time I will build an insulated box to put around the tank spout for next winter. Come pretty close to backing up into the basement.

Cost $370.00.

And Pinner, As I just found out, There is regular yearly maintenance that should be done. The guy left me their flyer for their "Diamond Club", it's $9.95/mo that gives you:
discounted rates.
Once a year plumbing inspection (hot water tank/lines/etc).
Free minor adjustments and repairs.
Toilets checked and leak tested, same with faucets
Exposed water lines are inspected.
Sinks and drains, wash machine & Dishwasher all checked.

Priority service, If it takes longer then 24hrs from your time of call to when a tech arrives, they give you a $500.00 cheque.

25% off repairs
10% off installs

Anyone a Diamond Club member?

As my place is older and was poorly renovated, I'm considering trying this.
See what the Wife says first.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I gave Canuck Plumbing a call, they sent a fella out.

He tried plunging, tried the auger, pulled the toilet, tried the 15' snake. nothing.

Then we pulled the lid off the tank, could hear the pump running, the level was high. (and was starting to come into the basement through the floor drain).
He noticed that the pumps discharge line was frozen, covered in ice. Took a little torch, heat the line, and the pump sound changed the water level started to drop.

I will be lowering in a Heat bulb on a trouble light, try and keep that line warm. Summer time I will build an insulated box to put around the tank spout for next winter. Come pretty close to backing up into the basement.

Cost $370.00.

And Pinner, As I just found out, There is regular yearly maintenance that should be done. The guy left me their flyer for their "Diamond Club", it's $9.95/mo that gives you:
discounted rates.
Once a year plumbing inspection (hot water tank/lines/etc).
Free minor adjustments and repairs.
Toilets checked and leak tested, same with faucets
Exposed water lines are inspected.
Sinks and drains, wash machine & Dishwasher all checked.

Priority service, If it takes longer then 24hrs from your time of call to when a tech arrives, they give you a $500.00 cheque.

25% off repairs
10% off installs

Anyone a Diamond Club member?

As my place is older and was poorly renovated, I'm considering trying this.
See what the Wife says first.
Looks like a waiste of money to me. Just a fee to get in and start raping. This discharge hose that froze up can you post a picture of it might give you some ideas to fix it for good.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a waiste of money to me. Just a fee to get in and start raping. This discharge hose that froze up can you post a picture of it might give you some ideas to fix it for good.

Thanks for the Advice. Hopefully the picture loads.

I'm not familiar with Septic fields. Last place was on a holding tank.

There is no sump in the house either,

so as far as I understand, the ground water drains into the tanks, which is then pumped out to the field. With the warm spell, the melted snow filled my tanks, then the line froze.

Attachments

• Screenshot septic jpeg.jpg
    Screenshot septic jpeg.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 84

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ground water should not be entering your septic tank under any circumstances if it Is your tank needs to be replaced

It would help to not freeze up if the man way was not sticking above ground it should be buried flush with the ground

On your pump discharge line there should be a small hole drilled just above the pump that allows any water that is above the pump to run back out of the line to prevent freezing there should be no water sitting in the lines that come to the top of the tank these are piped there only to make changing the pump easier ( not needing the tank sucked out and a Scott pack to enter the tank)

mjkl

Reaction score
Try getting some type of heat trace on the pipe, you can buy it at crappy tire or home depot, it just plugs in and keeps it from freezing. they use it on trailers all the time.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well see lots that can be done cut those pipes off 16" and put couplings on them to drop them down and then get a big garbage bag and fill with insulation and set on top of pipes. Try to stay away from heat tapes and trouble lites for long term. You can also get foil back insulation and wrap around outside your extension. As far as drilling a hole above your pump there should not be a check valve in the pump. Where you need a drain hole is where it goes thru the tank out to the field. Idea i just got drill a 3/16 hole in the pipe that froze off as far down as you feel you can reach with safty in mind this will not hurt any thing the pump will just run a bit longer.

• Thanks
Reactions: RXN
Top Bottom