Any KTM Gurus Here?

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a KTM 520 EXC that I have put some good parts on and I also made it barely street legal.
Good bike - all I will need for the rest of my real off road days.
Great shape, hardly a scratch on it but I busted a chain when I was riding out at Kootenay lake last fall and I think it may of messed up something in the shifter mechanism.
This spring it randomly goes into neutral and then doesn't want to shift into any gear. Once it is in like 3rd gear I can ride fine - as long as I stay in that gear.
Shift lever is fine. Secure on the splines. Makes the click noise and feels ok - but won't shift regularly or at all.

So my question is: I'm going to have to have a mechanic work on it as this is far outside of my comfort zone - what is the suspected problem and how much labour am I looking at? Is it an engine out, split the case kind of job?

Brother just bought a 2014 KTM 350 dual sport that is sweet but I can't justify the cost for the amount I ride now. Hoping for good news on old faithful...

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am far from ay slight resemblance to a guru but I am guessing the cases have to be split. It won't be cheap. Check out the ktm forums and ask the same question. KTMtalk is a good one for info. Thumper talk might be ok too.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to split the cases to get to the transmission. Might be as simple as a detent ball not seating properly. Likely a bent shift fork though.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to split the cases to get to the transmission. Might be as simple as a detent ball not seating properly. Likely a bent shift fork though.

So engine out on the bench - take it apart and see? How many hours for someone that knows what they are doing?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have the service manual that came with the bike? If not go online and find one. It will show you how to strip it down.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have the service manual that came with the bike? If not go online and find one. It will show you how to strip it down.

I've got the BEDIENUNGSANLEITUNG (Owners Handbook) and also the ERSATZTEILKATALOG (Spare Parts Manual) but the Service Manual. Don't know German kids ever figure how to pronounce words - some are 8-9 syllables long..!

I will look for a service manual though. Going to take it to CycleWorks Okotoks which is less than a mile from my acreage and get an estimate too.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't remember where I got my manual, maybe ktm talk, but it is 280 or so pages and goes through everything. The only real trouble you might have is the actual splitting of the cases. You need the proper tools. I did it once just with pry bars but it wasn't pretty. I'd send you a copy of mine but it is for the 09 400/450/530. I don't think it would work out for you.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be cool to find the issue there. Saw that video before with the 300xcw. While I love riding the two stroke and the lightness of it I prefer the sound and low down torque of my 530 now. I can lug that thing right down and nail the throttle to bring the revs right up. But either way I am so happy I went orange.

Top Bottom