Any "First Ride" reports for a 2012 Summit E-tec?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 2012 Summit SP 800 with 146" track and I am playing with my suspension rates and limiter strap to get more ski lift on flat land. On my old 07 Rev 600 gade I let the strap all the way out and put my front shocks at the stiffest position along with the front shock in the rear skid. I also did a rear skid drop, but that was specific to the rev chassis. These mods made the sled wheelie everywhere and was a blast to ride. It wasn't too much up in the mountains either which was great. So I was wondering if anyone has any limiter strap settings for the XP chassis. Or should I just leave it at the stock position and just change shock settings? I'm 180lbs

You want it to wheelie? Drop out the limiter, tighten up the center shock, soften the rear springs so your weight pushes down on the skid more. I would also look at your bar positioning. Lay the riser back so you are standing further back on the sled. Run the front ski shocks about mid way. Fine tune from there.

curtisbuhs

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I have it set at now. Its great for the flatland. I think when I hit the mountains I'll be tightening the strap up a couple notches. Thanks for the info.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
getting engine lights once or twice a day for a few seconds on both the 2012s in my group. seems to go away after restart or normal riding. comes on after letting off the throttle

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
getting engine lights once or twice a day for a few seconds on both the 2012s in my group. seems to go away after restart or normal riding. comes on after letting off the throttle

I had the same issue, on two of our sleds, first fix was a re flash, the secoud fix was a bracket inside the rave valve backed off, so warrenty fix.

R_janssen

Reaction score
Now have about 320 miles on my 2012 800 E-Tec. One issue I do notice is when I fuel up, i fill it to the to the top and push down on the back off the sled I can get another 1L of fuel in. Thinking its full, I leave and go riding, unload the sled off the truck and check the fuel level and the fuel level has dropped again and I can get a few more litres in. Anybody noticing issues when fuelling up?

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is an XP thing. You have to really pull down on the back of the sled to get rid of all of the air. Even the old REVS did the same thing, but not as much.

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now have about 320 miles on my 2012 800 E-Tec. One issue I do notice is when I fuel up, i fill it to the to the top and push down on the back off the sled I can get another 1L of fuel in. Thinking its full, I leave and go riding, unload the sled off the truck and check the fuel level and the fuel level has dropped again and I can get a few more litres in. Anybody noticing issues when fuelling up?

as mentioned, its normal. Its commonly called burping the tank.

I think a lot of people blame bad fuel gauges or improper readings on the fact they never filled the tank completely to begin with. I have said before, I would be much happier with a simple site gauge down the high side of the tank. And give us wide fill necks like the Cat's. Nothing worse than spilly filling a tank.

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the same fuelling issue burped the tank a bit and thought i topped it right off but got to the hill and could not even see gas when looking down at the tank. Heard the same thing for another rider just have to really push the back end down to get all the air out. Only have like 80 miles on the sled but did notice a hesitation between 3500-4500 feet last ride but it went away after 4500 feet of elevation. Seems to be pretty standard to have that hesitation from what i hear as I dont know if there is actually a fix for it or not. Stil trying to get used to the sled. Way tippier than my 08 xp and am still over correcting too much which has got me into a couple of bad spots already this year and has almost turned me into nervous nancy, lol. Will keep on it but I do love the power of the etec and how oil/fuel efficient it is.

back rool

Reaction score
hey sleders i have a 2012 summit 800 etech 154 .im from quebec and comming next week to mc bride i was wondering do you guys run stock high alltitude cluhting from brp ???? or you change a couple of thing. thank

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey sleders i have a 2012 summit 800 etech 154 .im from quebec and comming next week to mc bride i was wondering do you guys run stock high alltitude cluhting from brp ???? or you change a couple of thing. thank

you will be fine with stock, no need for high elevation, I am sure the average riding area is not much more than 7000', you can get higher obviously but most riding is a little lower.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a recent trip to Revy I decided to change the top gear on my 2012 163. I had been told that it had a 20/51 gear setup, but I wasnt happy with my track speed during a hard steep pull ( 64kph )
so I was going to put a 21t top gear. We were very surprised to find that I had a 19/51 set-up. I have a 3" track and 7th Avid drivers and with the taller gears I am getting around 73 kph in a steep climb and im on clicker # 3

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how does it recover though? my 2012 with 19-51 doesnt make blistering track speeds but it will do consistant all day long all situations and loads. while the 2011 with 21-49 will make good speed but as soon as it geta under load it drops huge amounts of track speed and nevee recovers. both 3" tracks

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it seems to be very consistant. xp mountainrider is running 20/49 on his 2010 3" and they are very similar. good track speed and they pull hard through any load put on them. the sled would be completely buried over the handlebars to the point you couldnt even really hear it running and it just plowed through. :)

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
worked very well...

it seems to be very consistant. xp mountainrider is running 20/49 on his 2010 3" and they are very similar. good track speed and they pull hard through any load put on them. the sled would be completely buried over the handlebars to the point you couldnt even really hear it running and it just plowed through. :)

Top Bottom