Any Canam Commander owners on here yet?

SCFD2131

Reaction score
Just looking for some reviews on the canam commander. I pick up my 1000xt in feb or march and would appreciate some input from the guys who ride in alberta and not just on hard packed trails or sand. The forums that I have been reading are mostly al from the US and deal with alot of sand riding, so it doesn't do alot for me. Any input would be great :)

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bigfoot,100 mph phasers,comanders owned by the general population..all fictisish..like the locness monster and ogo-pogo..but i have driven a commander and they are fast and fun!:d

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I personaly dont have one but a friend of mine does. He has had it out on a few rides with us and it seemed like a good machine. He let all of us ride it and every one liked how nice it rode. The only realy problem that i could see is that it is way to wide for my liking. It seems to go throught the mud and water well. Until he swamped it that is but I believe he has it snorkel now and running 29.5 outlaws. He says he way rather ride his outlander any day of the week over the side by side. One other thing is you dont want to get this thing stuck it is a tank. When he swamped it it took three bikes and winches to pull this thing out. Not trying to bash this thing. It is just not meant to go where the bikes go. More of a trail unit.

pancakeman

Reaction score
I fear that senario thinking the 4000lb winch should be upped to a 6000 and carry some good snatch blocks but finding soomthing to handle that in the muskeg would be a challange.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
My buddys got 4 of the commander 1000's sitting in his garage...

He took delivery on his in the fall and the family has since bought 3 more... they look really cool & go like stink my only issue would be the width...

they are quite a bit wider than the others and if your on the trails that could be a royal PITA...

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had mine since last fall and just had it out for my first real test with it at the st walburg rally. This thing is awesome. I wasnt sure what to expect being it is my first sxs but now with some seat time I dont know how much im gonna use my renegade anymore. I only came across 1 detour through the trees that was to narrow for me to get through. This thing tears through the mud no problem. With the longer and wider wheel base most of the ruts everybody was getting stuck in the commander was able to pull itself through. There where a couple mud holes that got the better of me but the 4000lb winch pulled me out no problem. The only problem is trying to find something to winch to that doesnt move. On the trail it seemed to ride very smooth and the interior has lots of room and seats are comfortable. Only complaint I have is no power steering. There was a couple ruts and bumps that jolted the steering wheel and were hard on the wrists

Attachments

• Frenchman Butte No. 501-20110430-00004.jpg
    Frenchman Butte No. 501-20110430-00004.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Frenchman Butte No. 501-20110430-00001.jpg
    Frenchman Butte No. 501-20110430-00001.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG-20110430-00002.jpg
    IMG-20110430-00002.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 145

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I demo one at echo marine the 1000 xt all i can says wow what a machine but they miss one important thing its hard on the arms after a while needs power steering

tomanytoysnotnuftime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only realy problem that i could see is that it is way to wide for my liking. Not trying to bash this thing. It is just not meant to go where the bikes go. More of a trail unit.

I don't understand why everyone thinks SXS's are to wide, is everyone riding thruogh the middle of the bush or what. I have two teryx's one stock width 58" wide and one with a 3" lt kit and offset rims with 11" tires 68" wide and I have very few issues with the width. As far as SXS's are not meant to go where the "Bikes" go is a load of Hoooey. I have had my teryx's everywhere any quad will go and more.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I almost have the wife convinced for me to buy us a new commander with a full cage led light bar full doors power steering and then I'll work on the long travel

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I almost have the wife convinced for me to buy us a new commander with a full cage led light bar full doors power steering and then I'll work on the long travel

I'd be careful about putting that led light bar on the roof. I can't count the amount of times I've had sweepers slide over the top of my roof. I mean yes if you want to protect your light bar you can get the chain saw out and cut the tree but what a PITHA. Plus I hardly ever do any riding in the pitch black where I would need the extra lighting. Just saying.:beer::beer:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd be careful about putting that led light bar on the roof. I can't count the amount of times I've had sweepers slide over the top of my roof. I mean yes if you want to protect your light bar you can get the chain saw out and cut the tree but what a PITHA. Plus I hardly ever do any riding in the pitch black where I would need the extra lighting. Just saying.:beer::beer:

Yea I hear ya. I wouldn't mount mine sticking up. I would have it so it's lower. 40". We do night riding and with these fast machines it's never fun running running out of light.

Top Bottom