Any body use the ats co pilot on a 48re?

bj_lucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a goerend 48re stage 3 with billet in put, out put, and triple disk converter that I am super happy with till for instance I am trying to beat a yellow light at just the wrong speed... What I mean by that is I get the 2nd gear screaming away for two long imo before I get 3rd and lock but by that time a lot of time has gone by.

I am am wonder if a co pilot will lock up 2nd and then grab 3rd quicker. Or if it will just go straight to 3rd lock and bog down to low of rpm?

If I get a chance to take off from the start 2nd doesn't feel to long. And when I go wot with a lock up switch it shifts like a dream. Just annoying when in traffic and at the wrong speed.

I read lots of reviews online and some say yay and some say nay to the co pilot.

Would like to hear how well the ats copilot actually works.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got an idea ! Stop running yellow lights ! Hit the breaks instead of the gas ! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bj_lucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got an idea ! Stop running yellow lights ! Hit the breaks instead of the gas ! Lol

K when I'm when merging then....

Or slowing down for something...

Or what ever other senerio would suite you better.

Yeah got a call in to Dave the other day to see what his input would be but musta been busy, will call him again during the week if I don't hear back.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What? Accelerating when merging? What the hell are you talking about. I've never seen that strategy used here in Saskatoon. It's brakes or coast here.

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My good friend bought one for his diesel and it would lock up the rear end,he took it out after it did that twice

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm an authorized ATS dealer myself I had one in my LB7 it shifted hard and firm but always hit way to hard from 3-4 I took it out put better trans tunes in it and love it. I wouldn't do it

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K when I'm when merging then....

Or slowing down for something...

Or what ever other senerio would suite you better.

Yeah got a call in to Dave the other day to see what his input would be but musta been busy, will call him again during the week if I don't hear back.
What programmer are you running ?
I had a diablo sport predator in my 05 cummins and it caused the truck to shift all messed up like that. I've since put it back to stock and it shifts normal now.
Just a thought , could be your programming

bj_lucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What programmer are you running ?

Just a thought , could be your programming

H&S is what I'm using. I did try the overdrive tunning on my old tranny but really the only thing that it did was basically makes it feel like tow/haul was turned on all the time as it locks tc from 3rd on. Doesn't really address the 2nd gear I don't believe.

Maybe it's just that I'm being too picky. I did drive fords 5r110 for a coupe years and maybe that just set my expectations to high.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got pretty much the same trans and I'm not a fan of it. Mine also won't shift out of second it I put it to the boards at certain speeds. Mine also shifts pretty hard. I figured the guys who built it f'ed up. I brought it in for a second opinion and they said that's just how the kit that I bought acts. He said it's good for pulling and high Hp since the discs don't slip when it shifts but drivability is not friendly. Guess I'm stuck with it because I'm not going to throw another 4g at it.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am no tranny expert but is there any chance the bands need adjustment? those 48re's were just like the 727 and they needed adjustment almost regularly. Usually fixed any slow shift issues.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 48 re's do not shift nice with shift kits,the shift kits work good when you have a kick down linkage but the deisel has the elec motor and they dont work good with shift kits,alot of complaints another common complaint is when driving thru school zones it hunts back and fourth between gears regularly.do not recomend any shift kit on deisel with this model trans.most trans rebuilders will tell you this unless they are trying to upsell cost of trans

Top Bottom