Any Bear hunters out there?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about that. Is hunting bear this time of year strictly for trophy or the meat too?

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i find that the meat isnt as good as quality cause it hasnt got as much proteine as a bear in the fall would , cause in the fall is when they are fattening up, in the spring if you can catch them before there coat is all matty then it makes a nice rug

OLIVE DRAB DEAN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spring bears have a nice coat, if you get them early. If you wait to long in the spring they rub their winter coat off and they are patchy. Fall time they are bigger, fatting up for the big sleep. The coats are not as nice in the fall. I new a guy who shot a 10' Brown bear on Kodiak Island, when he got to the bear the hide was so rubbed he could only mount the head only. I think it was like a 26 or 27" skull. A big bear! (10' from nose to tail)

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The answer to that is NO, it is not illegal........You have to buy a tag, like any other animal in hunting season ........It is illegal to hunt them to take their gallbladder !!

Whoa... easy! I am just asking because I know there is a suspended hunt on Grizzly Bears in Alberta. As I understand it, there is less then 500 of them in all of Alberta.

On a side note, I read in the paper today that there was 4 black bear cubs rescued when their momma was killed by a hunter. They were found starving and dehydrated in the Bonnyville area.... so sad. :(

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whoa... easy! I am just asking because I know there is a suspended hunt on Grizzly Bears in Alberta. As I understand it, there is less then 500 of them in all of Alberta.

On a side note, I read in the paper today that there was 4 black bear cubs rescued when their momma was killed by a hunter. They were found starving and dehydrated in the Bonnyville area.... so sad. :(

500 ??? thats crap its like those pricks down south telling me that there is less than 5000 caribou up here ....ya well lets go for a plane ride in my buddies Beaver ......or out my back door ..we have a whole fricken herd of caribou no less than 200 roaming around on my property ...every winter they come over here to stay away from the wolves and eat good

then all the ones I have to dodge on the hiyway heading up or down the Alcan..sorry may be a little off topic ..but you get my drift ...and I have seen many griz in alberta country....110,000 miles a year I do :d

nursepwdr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Actually wasn't being defensive at all........Just stating the facts , for whatever it's worth!!! You did ask....!:rolleyes:

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
500 ??? thats crap its like those pricks down south telling me that there is less than 5000 caribou up here ....ya well lets go for a plane ride in my buddies Beaver ......or out my back door ..we have a whole fricken herd of caribou no less than 200 roaming around on my property ...every winter they come over here to stay away from the wolves and eat good

then all the ones I have to dodge on the hiyway heading up or down the Alcan..sorry may be a little off topic ..but you get my drift ...and I have seen many griz in alberta country....110,000 miles a year I do

Have to agree with ya on that!!! but to be fair they think they can see Russia from their "backyards"...lol

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So some people set up a bait bin, then shoot a bear so they can make a rug?

Sounds like a waste to me. Hunting to eat makes sense, but a rug can be had for pretty cheap.

No offence to those who are into it, it just makes little sense to myself.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i am no trophy hunter my self, i dont see the point in it, last year my friend was bragging about the 55inch bull he shot, woopty doo, i bet ya that bull was tougher then hells angles leather, only thing it was good would be hamburger, but i bet the didnt even eat the meat :nono:

Bezzola

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i seen a few bears on the foresty trunk road nothing big except for the two grizzilys

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
theres a nice size boar just hanging out at the berr patch (even though theres no berrys) cant wait till hes nice and fat this fall

Top Bottom