antifreeze leaking out of my head bolt

98670X

Reaction score
hey all, just went to go riding and found the exaust side head bolt was bubbling out antifreeze , what would cause this . i took my head off , and it looks good . what would cause this, just a loose bolt? has anybody come across this????????????:confused:

98670X

Reaction score
so i just re torqued my head bolts to 21ftpounds , not leaking out of bolt but now both cylinders are smoking white so i assume i need a new gasket took it for a burn and looked behind me , big cloud of white smoke.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yep sounds like your burning some coolant what are the head bolts spose to be torqued at? maybe check a service manual or something

98670X

Reaction score
yah, i read somewhere on here that 99 summitx torque spec is 21, seems a bit low and i dont have the book, so correct me if im wrong.

now took my head off again and i spilled some coolent down into the cylinders , not much , but a bit............ is this now in my bottom end ? , and is it gunna f#@$ up my bottom end if i just ride it without getting that stuff out??????????????????? What do you think????????????????
Im thinking new o ring gasket around the cylinder will fix my coolant leak but scared to start it with the coolant in the bottom.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah, i read somewhere on here that 99 summitx torque spec is 21, seems a bit low and i dont have the book, so correct me if im wrong.

now took my head off again and i spilled some coolent down into the cylinders , not much , but a bit............ is this now in my bottom end ? , and is it gunna f#@$ up my bottom end if i just ride it without getting that stuff out??????????????????? What do you think????????????????
Im thinking new o ring gasket around the cylinder will fix my coolant leak but scared to start it with the coolant in the bottom.

Torque specs are normally low and around 21 lbs. Check with your local BRP Tech. Make sure you follow the torque pattern to ensure that none loosen off on you. I replace the O-rings every time I remove my head if it has been running. I have been told that this is not necessary but the parts are too cheap not to take a chance.

I don't know for sure but as long as the coolant didn't pass into the bottom end you should be fine. I have had small amounts of coolant enter my bottom end before and have had no problem but they were very small amounts.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A Small amount should not do any harm if you burn it out while under light throttle loading (on trackstand). It should clear within minutes unless you haven't fixed the leak.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's easy to stretch those head bolts. If you're changing gasket and o-ring, I'd spend the extra $20.00 and get new bolts too....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's easy to stretch those head bolts. If you're changing gasket and o-ring, I'd spend the extra $20.00 and get new bolts too....

20$?

they are 12$ each

unless you find a differant supplier

either way bolts dont need to be replaced but its not a bad idea. o rings are always good to replace especially if they are origional or you dont know the history of them. im guessing when you pulled the head off the orings did not seat back in position properly

Top Bottom