Anti Snowmobile mentality... when did it start?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback. When did anti motorized recreation, particularly snowmobiling rear it's ugly head? I know we have some seasoned riders on this site. When did you notice a shift into the attack of our sport? What were the biggest gripes and complaints?

Thank you!

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haters have been there as far back as I remember, this is why in Alberta we have the ASA and as a large group we tend to have a better voice. The greenies and granola munchers will always look for way to kick us out, and really we don't help our cause by leaving garbage laying all over the trails. Beer cans are one of the worst, in our area I really think we need a more visible police presence being people won't police their own groups. Just my 2cents

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback. When did anti motorized recreation, particularly snowmobiling rear it's ugly head? I know we have some seasoned riders on this site. When did you notice a shift into the attack of our sport? What were the biggest gripes and complaints?

Thank you!

Sorry it never raised its ugly head or there never was a shift into the attack on power sports as you might think.
Its always been there from day ONE. Its our own fault and the general public have very good reason's to feel this way. If your looking into a general time frame then you need to go way back into the 50's, mostly with motorcycles and the unruly public behaviour that went along with it. This will be your link to why snowmobilers have a perceived persona.
The green movement btw had nothing to do with it. But today we have given them alot of ammo to use, again our behaviour and attitude just like back then in the 50's is questionable.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has always been conflict between motorized and non-motorized users. In the old days it was possible to operate on "gentleman" agreements to avoid most problems, then the environmental movement got involved (mostly to support Y-Y). They will, and have, used any and often underhanded method to paint us in a bad light to get support from the unknowing public.
The mountain Caribou was simply a species of convenience,
I believe they are heavily supported by the heli-ski industry as they have never gone after restricting them from the same areas as snowmobiles, in fact many areas we get banned from the heli outfits expand into.
WE have to get the message across to Joe Public that their behavior just gives more ammunition to those that oppose us.( not that they care, until the signs go up) jmo

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What gets me is that any group is going to have bad apples. Believe it or not, not all skiers are perfect. Some litter, some get hurt in the back country, die in avalanches, make bad decisions, etc. But it seems like they dont have a "group" constantly after them. Is anyone actively against skiers as a group? Not that Im aware of. Yet we have to face this BS all of the time.

It seems like society in general is headed this way. There seems to be a "liberal" group that seems to think that they know how everyone else should live their lives (and it just happens to be the same way that THEY choose to live their lives). Sadly I dont think it is going away any time soon.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As much as we like to blame environmentalist for all this, typical of seeing only what one chooses to see, they're not the cause. No environmentalist ever took the head off a sledder. Farmer's did though and more then one.....piss anyone off long enough and expect retribution. Unruly behavior and disrespect sometimes pays a price. Most of you are too young or never lived in the area of the beginning of this sport to even know the issues that came with it. The environmental blame game is an easy scapegoat for our years of stupidity. Yes the green movement is on our back's but maybe for good reason's, so we can get our crap together or we will loose it. We are not the only people using the land for our fun.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I first noticed the anti-sled sentiment in the early 70's. Came from the skiers first. Funny how most of them are using sleds to access the back country these days. Hunting guides weren't far behind, trying to kick me off a public road on my dirt bike. Wasn't really much of an environmentalist presence around here back then.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is where ever any sort of mass collection of enthusiasts with pistons get together. The attitude is obvious starting on the drive to the location.
Big powerful trucks, pulling big trailers, bright lites, loud music, loud machines and spending big money.
How can you not get on a big ego trip and be an easy target for those that feel like they being imposed upon.
Some enthusiasts want a Vegas like atmosphere for everything they do and spend lots of money and organizing to make everything bigger, better and more people.Whether it is race cars, motorcycles, sleds or souped up lawn tractors, you cant miss the lights, noise and the beer cans left behind.

A smaller group of enthusiasts like to be left alone in smaller groups to ride the mountains in peace and quiet. They like to keep their riding spots on the down low and tell very few people how to get there. When they see a bunch of tracks in the oasis, they track the riders down and make them swear blood oaths never to share the location.

Now that sounds like the granola munchers and tree huggers of a different variety.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are our own worst enemy. I'm ashamed to see the mess people leave behind in the back country. Our adversaries have an unlimited budget and we fuel the fire with our own bad behaviour. The sad part is it only takes 0.1% of us to ruin it for the 99.9%.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are our own worst enemy. I'm ashamed to see the mess people leave behind in the back country. Our adversaries have an unlimited budget and we fuel the fire with our own bad behaviour. The sad part is it only takes 0.1% of us to ruin it for the 99.9%.

I think the problem with sledding is it's not 0.1% it's more like 20-30%. We have an over represented demographic of irresponsible participants.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the problem with sledding is it's not 0.1% it's more like 20-30%. We have an over represented demographic of irresponsible participants.

I think that's generous. I bet it's even higher these days. Never like that in the "good old days" of the late 60's early 70's. Holy crap I've been doing this for a long time!

Andystoy

Reaction score
I bought my first two snow machines in the late seventies and rode east of Edmonton and NE of Cold Lake. We rode in smaller groups of 6 or so and nobody cared. We rode in areas in government areas on cut lines and closer in on unofficial snowmobile trails east of Edmonton where the farmers didn't restrict access as long as you closed the gate.
People in communities started to take notice when larger numbers of sledders started showing up and they didn't respect the farmers rights of restricting access to hay fields etc and pretty much rode where they wanted.
Later on people started modding sleds and bikes because it was cool to do so but that didn't impress the local communities when riders came by at all hours of the night waking everyone up and the result was restricted access.
We still ride out west on cut lines etc. without too much problems but I can see where there is a growing resistance by multi users to share quiet and peaceful walking and skiing areas with sledders on their piped machines.
This year I bought a new 850 Summit X and it will remain with a stock muffler for two reasons: I don't like the noise myself and I don't appreciate hearing another sledder more than 1/2 mile away making a climb. As more people access the mountains etc they need to appreciate its not about them; its about sharing the area with other users and following the guide lines. Many years ago Yellowstone had a person at the trail head who asked you to start your sled before it was unloaded and checked it with a sound meter, if it was too loud it stayed on the truck or trailer. I won't be surprised to see sound meters at the trail head where you get your trail pass in the near future and I will fully support that initiative. JMO

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my first two snow machines in the late seventies and rode east of Edmonton and NE of Cold Lake. We rode in smaller groups of 6 or so and nobody cared. We rode in areas in government areas on cut lines and closer in on unofficial snowmobile trails east of Edmonton where the farmers didn't restrict access as long as you closed the gate.
People in communities started to take notice when larger numbers of sledders started showing up and they didn't respect the farmers rights of restricting access to hay fields etc and pretty much rode where they wanted.
Later on people started modding sleds and bikes because it was cool to do so but that didn't impress the local communities when riders came by at all hours of the night waking everyone up and the result was restricted access.
We still ride out west on cut lines etc. without too much problems but I can see where there is a growing resistance by multi users to share quiet and peaceful walking and skiing areas with sledders on their piped machines.
This year I bought a new 850 Summit X and it will remain with a stock muffler for two reasons: I don't like the noise myself and I don't appreciate hearing another sledder more than 1/2 mile away making a climb. As more people access the mountains etc they need to appreciate its not about them; its about sharing the area with other users and following the guide lines. Many years ago Yellowstone had a person at the trail head who asked you to start your sled before it was unloaded and checked it with a sound meter, if it was too loud it stayed on the truck or trailer. I won't be surprised to see sound meters at the trail head where you get your trail pass in the near future and I will fully support that initiative. JMO

Good post, the farmer thing you posted is one of the things that got out of hand back in the early 70's. Sledders between drinking and ripping up the farmer's field's and not closing a gate and his animals getting out really set a foundation for the future on how sledders are looked at today. Back in the 50's and 60's many of the traveling public thought that anyone on a motorcycle was a BIKER gang member..as in Hell Angels. We know that isn't true but it didn't matter, the image was set.
Today our image is set with the public. The thing is, alot of the issues with sledders are still on going...like F'n drinking while riding.

Top Bottom