another what to get????

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if my yfz450 quad sells i am looking into getting a dirt bike.first off i dont want to spend more time on maintenance then riding, i dont plan on doing much for jumps and mx, although i might poke at the track from time to time, mostly trails and dunes a bit. I was either thinking a 250f or something equivalent, maybe i 144 or 150 ktm. i dont want a big bike, i rode a cr450f and didnt like it, just too much bike for me, and he had to constantly get the valves set. i am not a big guy 5'10" 170 pounds. rode a klx450 and it was alot better than the honda but still felt heavy and big.the wr250 i rode felt good, as was the yz250. any thoughts from some others that have more experience.

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if my yfz450 quad sells i am looking into getting a dirt bike.first off i dont want to spend more time on maintenance then riding, i dont plan on doing much for jumps and mx, although i might poke at the track from time to time, mostly trails and dunes a bit. I was either thinking a 250f or something equivalent, maybe i 144 or 150 ktm. i dont want a big bike, i rode a cr450f and didnt like it, just too much bike for me, and he had to constantly get the valves set. i am not a big guy 5'10" 170 pounds. rode a klx450 and it was alot better than the honda but still felt heavy and big.the wr250 i rode felt good, as was the yz250. any thoughts from some others that have more experience.

Well i just sold my old bike and is looking for a new one! IF you are going to be doing trail riding and going to the dunes you would denfintly want a 4 stroke. If u to get a 2 stroke u would have no bottom end. Example i was on my 4 stroke 125 and my friend was on his 2 stroke 125 (both yamaha's). Any way we went to this gravel pit and i went up the hill no problem in 2nd gear he had his pind in 3rd and was having trubles he didnt make it up. It bogged out and staled. Also with a 4 stroke you dont have to mix gas, and rebuild the motor. I am going to buy a 250 or 450 four stoke for sure.
I would recomenned a yamaha yz250f because you can take it to the track if u want. The wr is made for trails.

Hope this helps.
------------------------------------
yamaha tt-r125 (not no more)
polaris sports men 700 twin
honda xl 200
artic cat wild cat 700
artic cat pantera 580
artic cat courgar 440
artic catt bear cat 440 154"

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only downside to the four strokes seems to be the valves needing to be set on some bikes at alarmingly short intervals, my 450 quad has been great, but on the bikes to motors are not as detuned as the quads.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll probably definitley have less maintenance with a 2 stroke 125, or 144/150 KTM than a 250 four stroke. Not only less maintenance but usually cheaper to maintain and lighter in weight. KTM offers the XC model two strokes which are a bit more "bush ready".

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll probably definitley have less maintenance with a 2 stroke 125, or 144/150 KTM than a 250 four stroke. Not only less maintenance but usually cheaper to maintain and lighter in weight. KTM offers the XC model two strokes which are a bit more "bush ready".

Lady dirt how is a 2 stroke less maintenance then a 4 stroke. Can you explain i thought a 4 stroke is less maintenance then a 2.

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to buy a bike with the biggest fun factor, the most bang for your buck, thats light, easy to work on, cheap, a clutch that can be abused like crazy and still keep pullin, and a powerband that goes from bottom to holy he!! screamin top, you have ONE choice! and you already mentioned it

KTM 150sx. this bike is meant for racing against 250F's, but you can take this bike ANYWHERE! I have ridden this bike on the track and had a WILD amount of fun. I have taken this bike up MASSIVE hills of sand, and not had a problem reaching the top. This bike works great in tight trails, great in mud, great in deep sand.......

You talk of a fear of constantly checking valve clearances. You have already sold yourself on a 2-stroke. I also know people who are being strung through hell cause they have to bring in their 250F's every 4 rides to have their valves shimmed.

I have a 250 2-stroke. i also have a 144. i recomend the 144 over the 250 because this bike does it ALL.

a 2-stroke has less moving parts, less cost for replacement engine parts, less weight, AND MORE FUN!!!!!!!

........ just sayin:d

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lady dirt how is a 2 stroke less maintenance then a 4 stroke. Can you explain i thought a 4 stroke is less maintenance then a 2.

Sorry I should rephrase this. A 2 stroke definitley requires regular maintenance...but its easier and cheaper and more "do it yourself" then the 4 strokes.. thats all. I will never have to take my bike to a shop to have work done and pay a tech ridiculous amounts of cash to work on it..

My next bike will be a KTM 105 XC, which is the enduro version of the one I ride now, its more of a bush bike which I ride mostly so I think it will be better suited for my style/needs. I'm thinkin next season after this one I'll sell it and look for the XC.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
4 Stroke = Valve Adjustments / Oil & Filter Costs / More Expensive Rebuilds

2 Stroke = Lighter Bike / Oil Only / Less Expensive Rebuild (but more often)

The fun factor on a 2 Stroke is great and they are a lot more simple than the 4T as mentioned. You can get a couple seasons out of a 2 stroke depending how hard you ride it and how often. Rebuild kis are simple, and can be bought on eBay for 120-160 for the KTM and are easy to do yourself.You can also have fun on a 4 Stroke, but the valve issue would drive me nuts as well as having to buy a filter every other week along with the oil. Both has their plus and minus points but for me, 125-250cc then the 2 stroke is the way to go.

Either a KTM 144 or 250XCW if you ask my advice. (just bought a 250XCW and love it)

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son got a 144 KTM SX last fall and I have to agree that has to be the most fun bikes I have ever ridden in the past 37 years. I ride a KTM 300 XCW now, and I never thought there could be something more fun than the 300 until I rode the 144. It produces more horsepower than a 250F and is within 2 pounds on the torque. It does have some head shake and high speed, but we haven't set the suspension up fully yet, worse case, about 500 bucks for a steering damper. Check out the recommended maintenance schedules for the 250F, that will cut some of the crap about 4 strokes being cheaper to run. Motocross Action has an article called "Manifesto of a 2 stroke rider ", it pretty much explains the scam of the manufacturers going the 4 stroke route.
Yeah, a spark arrestor is a must ( keeps SRD from writing you up ), but if you want your eyes really opened up, let a 4 stroke idle on a dark night for about 5 minutes & see what the exhaust pipe does. Now imagine that pipe covered with dried skeg and you'll know why its not sparks from the pipe that cause fires.........

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys i was leaning toward the 144/150 ktm and i am pretty much sold on it, just gonna start looking for a good deal on one. as for the spark arrestors i completely agree with the above statement, i seen my friends rhino with a camp fire going strong burning on top of the skid plate last year.

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
alot of the KTM 4 strokes dont need valve adjustments for ever, on ktmtalk there are guys with a chitload of hours on their 4 strokes and have never had to adjust the valves. i still haven't had to touch mine and i probly have close to 70 hours or more (ruff guess) on the bike, my old honda on the other hand:mad: about every 7 hours! lol

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a 4 stroke, you will find that over time the valves will require less adjustment as the valves stretch.

I do mine and MoPotatoes twice a season.

Love the orange thumpers.

Cheers
Chris

mat

Reaction score
Regardless wich way you go 2 or 4 strokes, the bottom line is that dirt bikes cost money to run...it is not the rebuilt or valves ajustements, that you do it your self or not.. It is what wear off that is expensive...for example...break, tires,
fork. seals, broken plastics and levers, cables, wheels bearing
shifter, gloves, goggles lens, boots,etc. That is where your money... Like a famous rider, friend of mine would say : "you wanna play? you got to pay!"

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regardless wich way you go 2 or 4 strokes, the bottom line is that dirt bikes cost money to run...it is not the rebuilt or valves ajustements, that you do it your self or not.. It is what wear off that is expensive...for example...break, tires,
fork. seals, broken plastics and levers, cables, wheels bearing
shifter, gloves, goggles lens, boots,etc. That is where your money... Like a famous rider, friend of mine would say : "you wanna play? you got to pay!"

for sure on that, i just know some are more needy than others, just trying to find a more reliable one if i can, my yfz450 quad has been really good to me, looks like i might be keeping it, but i still want a bike too.

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all personal preference really, i prefer 4 stroke over 2 stroke other peeps 2 stroke over 4 stroke. anyways maybe test drive a few bikes ( maybe your buddies have bikes? lol) and see what you like best. i rode a buddy of mines 450 and now i want one. haha

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They both have their upsides/downsides.. but you definitley need a lot more money and time to repair/maintain a 4 stroke. Just sayin.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha there is no way of telling that.. it depends how much and how hard you ride your bike. 2 strokes are just a little easier and cheaper to maintain..they defintiely require just as much if not more maintenance. 4 strokers are definitely good for people who have a lot of knowledge and experience with bikes..and a big bank account..parts are more $$ more sure.But really, just check out some of the threads on here, you will quickly learn which bike is fit for you by reading what others say about their bikes.

Top Bottom