Another perspective on Avalanche Training

Zacs Avy Crew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Here is a different perspective on Avy Training. I know that all or most of you have heard of Meg's Blog some may even followed it. I am posting this on the main page because I really want everyone to read what she has to say about training.

We had a bit of a conundrum before our Red Deer class at CycleWorks, I was asked if we could have a couple of ladies that lost their spouses to Avalanches attend the AST1 course.

I believe that it went well and was able to message with one of the ladies shortly after. Please read her blog below and share with your riding friends. There are so many riders that believe they are ready for anything and well equipped. As in everything in life, there are "good, better and best" designations.

What risk level are you willing to accept? What risk level are you willing to have your family and friends accept?

Posted by Dawn.

https://newnormal.me/author/meggos1985/

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ugh. She's a good writer, and I understand the message, but I dislike reading the blog. Makes me feel even more selfish than I already do for being a mountain rider

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
One of the big reasons why I welcome my better half on my rides. She knows the terrain and she knows how we ride. If she is at home on a particular day, she doesn't worry. Chit can happen but I have to ride with her in mind. I wanna go home and enjoy the life we have. We are each a big part of each others lives and messing that up is something we are very careful about. No big ego here!

LDK

Reaction score
I love this sport , my wife knows I love this sport . She knows the dangers , and I pray she never goes though what happened to these ladies . I have friends that have lost friends , it hurts , it sucks I lost a brother in law to a plane crash , did I stop flying No . I can't and won't stop sledding because this is what I want to do, what I love to do

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love this sport , my wife knows I love this sport . She knows the dangers , and I pray she never goes though what happened to these ladies . I have friends that have lost friends , it hurts , it sucks I lost a brother in law to a plane crash , did I stop flying No . I can't and won't stop sledding because this is what I want to do, what I love to do

I'm super blessed to have gotten to know Meg over the past few months. It's not about NOT riding, or attributing Guilt to snowmobiling. It is about getting the education, the equipment, and the mind set to do absolutely everything in your power to make wise choices out there in the back country. Meg is an incredible woman. I'm super excited to teach her how to sled this season! She's a true bad ass, strong incredible woman! We're going to have so much fun. She is excited to get out there, and is doing everything in her power to start off sledding the right way. I absolutely Love her. She is absolutely not saying don't ride you are horrible people. She's saying.. HEY all you riders out there.. be smart and ride to survive. Being a widow sucks!

Last edited:

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm super blessed to have gotten to know Meg over the past few months. It's not about NOT riding, or attributing Guilt to snowmobiling. It is about getting the education, the equipment, and the mind set to do absolutely everything in your power to make wise choices out there in the back country. Meg is an incredible woman. I'm super excited to teach her how to sled this season! She's a true bad ass, strong incredible woman! We're going to have so much fun. She is excited to get out there, and is doing everything in her power to start off sledding the right way. I absolutely Love her. She is absolutely not saying don't ride you are horrible people. She's saying.. HEY all you riders out there.. be smart and ride to survive. Being a widow sucks!
Being by yourself sucks but she is right ride smart and come home. I lost a good friend years ago and he gave me some great advice enjoy your life because your here a very short time. I ride with my son and some great young men and it would break me up to lose anyone of them but the memory I have with them can never be replaced, my wife worrys every time we go up and I love her for this but she also knows that we love to do what we do. I have been asked this question why I say if you have never been up their its hard to explain but do ride safe it sucks when we here about someone getting hurt.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All so true. I have posted many times about backing away from the excitement of the moment and having a slow 360* look at where you are sitting....are you in a safe spot??? We lost friend and riding partner a few years ago...not a hillclimber at all. Hell he never did really climb anything that wasn't part of our route. I often see where some of us choose to play, and the thing I most often see; that I point out to the more eager guys in our groups, are terrain traps. Please ride with passion but never let your guard down. A great ride ends with EVERYONE coming home safe; and everyone in the group is responsible for everyone else. Never be afraid to callout a friend that makes a bad decision; I have done it; and had it back at me. All part of becoming a safe riding group.

Top Bottom