Another blown diamond drive!!!

M1K

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else is having DD problems. This is my second one in 1080 miles! And no I don't jam it in reverse on a hill to get stopped next to my stuck buddies!:realmad:
Sled is mostly stock with just some fine tuning here & there.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed that it appear to be a common problem that the Diamond Drive can't handle the power. Another member on this site has posted that Diamond Drive makes a stronger drive than stock to handle higher HP machines (up to 350 HP). Check out member "glengine" I think he works at Specialty Sleds. He can direct you if your machine is off warranty or else crank on AC for the upgrade.

emether1

Reaction score
I have a 07 M8/162 that is piped and a few other trinkets. I have over 4500 km on it with out a bit of trouble on the DD.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i've learned that the '09 cats are going to be in the same chasis but will not have the reverse version of the DD... The patent ran out on doo's electronic reverse, so the M's next year will have electronic reverse with a normal DD.. The DD that we can get are good, we had one that had a problem that had been installed on a turbo'd M1000 and they warrantied it!!! They also said that when they got it back and tore it apart it was missing one bearing, somehow missed in origina; assembly process.. And it still took 2 months of turbo abuse.. Now i think thats pretty good...

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah the yshould be the same.. Thats said you'll have to look on the front of the case behind the sec clutch, because they may very well have different gear ratio's.. The bug difference is between the non-reverse d/d and the rverse d/d, different size ..

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have an 09 M1000 162 with just over 500k on it. I am sitting in the hotel in Golden because the DD blew this am. I had the DD serviced last week at Argyl. They said the flushed and refilled the drive and all looked good. Up until that point I had no issues with it. It had 412k. When we rode silent on Fri I could smell "gearoil" on the trail. I didn't think to much of it as it went away when we where playing. On Sat I was pushing pretty hard don the trail and when I drove in the trailer I could really smell it. So this am we headed back up to Quartz and I made it to km 5. and that was it. There was a heavy oil smell and in about 50m I was done. I heard that maybe the dealer had out to much oil in the DD? Could this be the cause of the problem? Or is there something else that caused it?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have an 09 M1000 162 with just over 500k on it. I am sitting in the hotel in Golden because the DD blew this am. I had the DD serviced last week at Argyl. They said the flushed and refilled the drive and all looked good. Up until that point I had no issues with it. It had 412k. When we rode silent on Fri I could smell "gearoil" on the trail. I didn't think to much of it as it went away when we where playing. On Sat I was pushing pretty hard don the trail and when I drove in the trailer I could really smell it. So this am we headed back up to Quartz and I made it to km 5. and that was it. There was a heavy oil smell and in about 50m I was done. I heard that maybe the dealer had out to much oil in the DD? Could this be the cause of the problem? Or is there something else that caused it?

vent got plugged case pressured up an blew oil out the weakest link.Been there done that.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those servo driven reverse DD's had more issues than the others. BD Light DD uses better, stronger gears but no reverse. Watch for leaks, make sure oil capacity is perfect and change periodically through the season. Make sure your secondary is not floating on the DD = premature failure.

Agree with Pipes...vent was plugged. Must make sure that vent is open!

I also stopped using the Cat or BD gearcase oil and went to the Amsoil 2000 synthetic chaincase oil. My DD now runs quieter and smoother than before. Have changed out the seals and bearings once since 2006 only as preventative maintenance.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How would you know to make sure the vent is open? Where to look and what to look for would be helpful.

Thanks'

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thevent is actually inside the end of the shaft.. The notch but in the bolt is for the vent.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two aftrermarket deflection adjusters. Cutler one is my favourite right now. It has a notch cut along the bolt. I cut it a little longer and deeper to make SURE the vent is open. Also have a Fett Brothers adjuster that the bolt has a hole drilled through it end to end for the vent. Look at the DD shaft on occasion and make sure the hole through it is clear of grease and build up.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been reading about these DD crapping out. Kinda concerns me. But, my question is, what is the average cost of repairing them? Are all the break downs the same common problem or are they all different? Just courious!!!! Thanks:confused:

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They called me yesterday and said that the planetary gear is done. They haven't seen this happen before . I asked them if covered under warranty. They are waiting to hear from Cat. I sure hope so!!!!

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OUCH !!!! 1900 is crazy. Sledding it getting to costly, just like golf, LOL.:(

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blew my dd to bits, $1900 for brand new one on my 07 m800. Warrenty did covered it. :d

Whaaaat.....$1900.....someone is feeding you a story. You can get a Diamond Drive Lite from Black Diamond, with the hardened gears, tested to 350 HP, 11 pound weight saving, higher oil capacity for $650us and put in yourself in about an hour.

Am I missing something.

Good thing for warranty.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whaaaat.....$1900.....someone is feeding you a story. You can get a Diamond Drive Lite from Black Diamond, with the hardened gears, tested to 350 HP, 11 pound weight saving, higher oil capacity for $650us and put in yourself in about an hour.

Am I missing something.

Good thing for warranty.

OEM vs after market. OEM always more money

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a complete diamond drive with driveshaft from an 08 M8 w/ 240 miles on it PM me if interested.

Top Bottom