Another Avy in Golden - Feb 21/16

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Another Avy in Golden today.

No one here is full of them selves, and you don't know what we have been through, seen, or overcome. But I can ensure you that if I ever end up on the news in a slide, I will be the only one that would be envolved, dead, or injured in it.

Thats quite a statement. It's pretty obvious your running purely on emotion at this point, because what you just said doesn't make any sense and only one way to prove one way or another.

Good luck.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If it's 5, 15, or 100.. I would think you better hear the entire story before shooting of you mouth.. Pretty disrespectful if you ask me..

like saying a guys a retard for flying with a airline after a crash.. Yes it could of taken a different flight but that's not a acceptable reason to slam him..

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Really? You can choose who is riding in the same area as you? When we unloaded to go riding yesturday, the parking lot was full of strangers. The area we ride, was full of strangers.
Unless your riding in a closed area, you have little control of who is riding around you.... much like you have little choice who you share the road with.

You can choose to leave the area and ride somewhere else. You can choose to leave the highway too I suppose, but the result may be less than optimum.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

WOW.....what the hell is happening to our community?

We bitch when fingers are pointed at us..... yet we are so quick to point fingers at others...including ourselves.

The only good that can come out of any of this is that it is an opportunity to learn and to teach others how to not make the same mistakes.....this thread could have gone the way of educating others and now its a complete waste of time to read and frankly embarrassing......

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You can choose to leave the area and ride somewhere else. You can choose to leave the highway too I suppose, but the result may be less than optimum.

Just yesturday, we thought we were all alone in an area. Nearly got run into by some others who likely thought the same.

Maybe thats what we get for chooseing to ride in the trees to avoid the open, avalanchy slops :rolleyes:

I just love all the heroes. Their never the ones that cause problems, it's always someone else.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

WOW.....what the hell is happening to our community?

We bitch when fingers are pointed at us..... yet we are so quick to point fingers at others...including ourselves.

The only good that can come out of any of this is that it is an opportunity to learn and to teach others how to not make the same mistakes.....this thread could have gone the way of educating others and now its a complete waste of time to read and frankly embarrassing......
Thank you for this post Curtis, I am embarrassed of they way I have reacted in this thread. I was running off emotions as stated. I'm just tried of reading all these incidents that are preventable. I'll stick to my education and practice.
Thanks for what you are doing for the sport.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Instead of focusing so much on the negative, I think people should look at the positive. Yes, it is very sad when something like this happens. But does it REALLY seem to happen that often?

I'd be interested to know of all the people who enjoy the back country in the winter- including both motorized and non, just how many people DON'T get hurt or killed.

It's not all doom and gloom out their boys and girls, as much as it may seem like it. Sure, you MIGHT live a little longer if you don;t take the odd chance, or live a little on the edge... but many would argue that would be a waste of life.

For me, that's what makes some of these cases so sad. It's not the guys who get wiped out dooing the dreaded 'hi marking', but the poor people who get wiped off the trail on the way back to the truck. I would much rather go having the time of my life, if even for a minute, then simply a case of bad luck, following all the rules.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think I may be going at this all the wrong way. The people that want to learn will go and learn. The people that don't, won't. Some people it takes something bad to happen before they may realize they want to learn. I guess I'm just going to have to bring myself to this. And some will just want to.
Trying to argue with people on a site, about what to do and what not to do, Obviously isn't going to work. Everyone just gets all mad and defensive.
Im sorry for arguing or trying to tell people there wrong or right. I personally want to be the most educated I can be. And I would like to pass that to others. But I think the people that want that will come forward to learn. Sorry to all for even Engaging in these threads.

BigBuckHunter

Reaction score

Instead of focusing so much on the negative, I think people should look at the positive. Yes, it is very sad when something like this happens. But does it REALLY seem to happen that often?

I'd be interested to know of all the people who enjoy the back country in the winter- including both motorized and non, just how many people DON'T get hurt or killed.

It's not all doom and gloom out their boys and girls, as much as it may seem like it. Sure, you MIGHT live a little longer if you don;t take the odd chance, or live a little on the edge... but many would argue that would be a waste of life.

For me, that's what makes some of these cases so sad. It's not the guys who get wiped out dooing the dreaded 'hi marking', but the poor people who get wiped off the trail on the way back to the truck. I would much rather go having the time of my life, if even for a minute, then simply a case of bad luck, following all the rules.

Quick stats obtained from Robson valley SAR rep a couple weeks ago (Includes Jan 29th renshaw slide): 7 deaths, approx 82000 riders in last 8 years in the managed areas of Robson valley SAR.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks Curtis, was the reason why I posted the link.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Quick stats obtained from Robson valley SAR rep a couple weeks ago (Includes Jan 29th renshaw slide): 7 deaths, approx 82000 riders in last 8 years in the managed areas of Robson valley SAR.

So, of roughly just over 8000 per year that enjoy the back country, not quite 1 died. I wished all odds were that favorable.

cedarpoint

Reaction score

you know guys it dosnt mean just because your educated that you wont get in a slide there is always the unknowen in the back country things can happen and will its part of life you can die driving down the highway or you can sit in the house and do nothing

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wondering what happened and assuming what happened are two different things. It would be interesting to know more details on what happened for sure. We don't know if proper precautions were taken or anything. I would assume if the skiers were with a guide, the guide would have had proper training and knowledge of the area. Something happened and we will never know unless details come out. i agree with Depsnolvr we shouldn't argue with eachother over this. We also shouldn't jump to conclusions on what happened as we don't like it when the public and media do it to snowmobilers.

Top Bottom