Another Avy in Golden - Feb 21/16

Chunk

Reaction score
Re: Another Avy in Golden today.

Unreal, so many poor decisions being made recently.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Truly hope that nobody was lost. The media is going to have a hay day with this...

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Better chance its skiers than sledders in that area? Praying everyone pulled through.

BigBuckHunter

Reaction score

Unreal, so many poor decisions being made recently.

It's not always poor decisions out there Chunk, sometimes bad things happen. If going to the mountains to do what we love, whether it be sledding or skiing, is a poor decision then I guess there's a lot of people making them every day. If you weren't there and saw someone make a poor decision that led to a tragedy then keep your comments to yourself.

Chunk

Reaction score

It's not always poor decisions out there Chunk, sometimes bad things happen. If going to the mountains to do what we love, whether it be sledding or skiing, is a poor decision then I guess there's a lot of people making them every day. If you weren't there and saw someone make a poor decision that led to a tragedy then keep your comments to yourself.
better get some education, 13 people caught in one slide, there were poor decisions made. 17 or whatever number there was caught in Renshaw and all anyone says is they know what they're doing. This crap keeps happening governments are going to start getting involved. Hard to argue with the general public that we know what we're when there are clearly way too many clueless people in the mountains.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It is poor decisions, or not knowing. If there was 13 people caught in a Avalanche that means 12 people were either on the slope at the same time, or in the danger area of a side, this means poor decision, or not even knowing, which still makes it a poor decision! 13 people got caught in a Avalanche! You don't need to be there to say they Fawked up. If you don't understand this there's a good chance of the next story we read about will be you and your buddies all caught in a side. And the out come might not be as good as the one in this story.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think people need to stop lumping 'poor decisions' and 'mistakes' into the same category.

As was mentioned- sometimes, even the best of decisions can have undesired consequences. Maybe instead of immediately pointing fingers at others while patting ourselves on the back for being oh so diligent, we could start by asking questions as to what happened so we can learn from and help prevent it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It is poor decisions, or not knowing. If there was 13 people caught in a Avalanche that means 12 people were either on the slope at the same time, or in the danger area of a side, this means poor decision, or not even knowing, which still makes it a poor decision! 13 people got caught in a Avalanche! You don't need to be there to say they Fawked up. If you don't understand this there's a good chance of the next story we read about will be you and your buddies all caught in a side. And the out come might not be as good as the one in this story.

I think people need to stop lumping 'poor decisions' and 'mistakes' into the same category.

As was mentioned- sometimes, even the best of decisions can have undesired consequences. Maybe instead of immediately pointing fingers at others while patting ourselves on the back for being oh so diligent, we could start by asking questions as to what happened so we can learn from and help prevent it.
You both are right

Bad decisions or mistakes happened no doubt

I'm not sure how or what we can do to get it into some peoples thick skulls, but I sure hope people start to think, rather than ooooooo squirrel to a open no track loaded hill

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No one is patting anyone's back. Poor decisions and mistakes are in the same category with not knowing. Here we go again with the "even the best decisions can have undesired consequences" you're confusing this with risk. The question was asked. "What happened out by Golden?"13 people were involved in a slide. This means they Fawked up. If you want specific details on who did what when that's up to you. I Honestly don't see why you need to know these little details, 13 people were on a slope or in the danger zone of a slide when it was triggered. If you want to learn from this and prevent it. Get the know how to travel terrain properly and don't have 13 people on a slope or exposed at the same time.

Last edited:

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

As long as people are free to make decisions, and do things in uncontrolled environments, bad things will happen to some. If not being killed in a slide, they could be impaled from a tree branch.

Sometimes, bad things happen. When 13 people die in a bus crash, do we blame 12 of those people for ****ing up? When two vehicles collide on the highway, do we rush to blame everyone involved?

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

As long as people are free to make decisions, and do things in uncontrolled environments, bad things will happen to some. If not being killed in a slide, they could be impaled from a tree branch.

Sometimes, bad things happen. When 13 people die in a bus crash, do we blame 12 of those people for ****ing up? When two vehicles collide on the highway, do we rush to blame everyone involved?
If you had 12 people in your back pack, and got in a Avalanche. That would be the same as you described with the bus. If you have 13 busses all crash into each other in a pile up. That's the same thing as 13 people involved in one slide all at fault.
Two cars colliding on the highway is what we call the human factor. But you can't compare this to Avalanches. You can choose who you ride with in the mountains, you can't on the highway. You can get out of danger when traveling terrain if others show up are around you. You can't do this on the highway. Your stuck in your lane when others are coming.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Man some of you guys are full of yourselves, so easy to arm chair it and always be right. Lots of different circumstances can lead to a terrible result.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Man some of you guys are full of yourselves, so easy to arm chair it and always be right. Lots of different circumstances can lead to a terrible result.
No one here is full of them selves, and you don't know what we have been through, seen, or overcome. But I can ensure you that if I ever end up on the news in a slide, I will be the only one that would be envolved, dead, or injured in it.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Getting awfully tired of this "chit happens" attitude. If 13 people get caught in one avalanche in the back country....it's pretty safe to assume somebody fawked up, plain and simple. :doh:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another Avy in Golden today.

OMG!!
Barker ?
Others have been through and seen ,and are still overcoming resent incidents?
To say you would be the only one involved is just completely dumb .
Someone is going to be retrieving your ass and hopefully alive so they are at risk are they not??
Lighten up a bit .
Cheers

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

OMG!!
Barker ?
Others have been through and seen ,and are still overcoming resent incidents?
To say you would be the only one involved is just completely dumb .
Someone is going to be retrieving your ass and hopefully alive so they are at risk are they not??
Lighten up a bit .
Cheers[/QUOTE
OMG!! Pffffff
Fawk bud. People pulling my Sorryass out aren't involve in the slide! This is what I'm saying. 7 people going to the hospital means 7 of them were in the Avalanche! This is a no no!

Is this a complete waste of everyone's time? Does anyone get any thing from these posts? What credentials does one need?
is the only way to be teaching the courses?
Honestly? My forehead is getting sore from pounding it agonist this wall.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Two cars colliding on the highway is what we call the human factor. But you can't compare this to Avalanches. You can choose who you ride with in the mountains, you can't on the highway. You can get out of danger when traveling terrain if others show up are around you. You can't do this on the highway. Your stuck in your lane when others are coming.

Really? You can choose who is riding in the same area as you? When we unloaded to go riding yesturday, the parking lot was full of strangers. The area we ride, was full of strangers.
Unless your riding in a closed area, you have little control of who is riding around you.... much like you have little choice who you share the road with.

Top Bottom