Annoying and $$ GM Tranny line leaks...

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Did some research and it looks like this is an ongoing problem with the Allison Tranny 2002 - 2009. GM did a chitty job of making the flex piece between the transmission and the tranny rad.

There are lots of fixes...replacing the same parts, buying third party total replacements and replacing the hoses.

Anyone find something that works and is a DIY? Not paying to have this done...not under warranty!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Not sure if these are similar to the tranny cooler lines on my 94 gas job,but the guy that did mine got hoses built at a hydraulic shop.Said the replacement ones never last(which I know to be true because I've had them done a few times and they start seaping almost immediately)A little more expensive but I'm hoping they last.I can hook you up if you're interested.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just check underneath if the hoses have this style connectors they are the bad ones

Attachments

• tranny line fix 2009 d-max.jpg
    tranny line fix 2009 d-max.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 45

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
just check underneath if the hoses have this style connectors they are the bad ones

Yes sir...I've those "bad" ones...two are leaking...it pretty much happened overnight.

What does everyone think about these, gents giving them the thumbs up on "thedieselplace.com" ... basically 180 bucks and the problem goes away:

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
Not sure if these are similar to the tranny cooler lines on my 94 gas job,but the guy that did mine got hoses built at a hydraulic shop.Said the replacement ones never last(which I know to be true because I've had them done a few times and they start seaping almost immediately)A little more expensive but I'm hoping they last.I can hook you up if you're interested.

Sure please...one of the fixes it to take the existing tubing to a Hydraulic Shop and have ends put on them so as to attach new hoses.

IMGP5117.jpg

Last edited:

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of aftermarket fixes out there. I searched the Diesel Place as well and found a couple of solutions. I just printed them off and took them into my dealer (Southgate). They had a hydraulic hose shop make up hoses and replaced the stock ones.

Not cheap but hopefully a permanent fix. I had the GM hoses replaced under warrenty 14 months ago and 2 of three were leaking again (only 12 month warrenty).

If you want I can snap a few pics of the hoses they installed.

l8r Shawn

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
There are a couple of aftermarket fixes out there. I searched the Diesel Place as well and found a couple of solutions. I just printed them off and took them into my dealer (Southgate). They had a hydraulic hose shop make up hoses and replaced the stock ones.

Not cheap but hopefully a permanent fix. I had the GM hoses replaced under warrenty 14 months ago and 2 of three were leaking again (only 12 month warrenty).

If you want I can snap a few pics of the hoses they installed.

l8r Shawn

That'd be great...thanks Shawn.

I thought they were not under warranty? My truck is an 07 LBZ...three years approaching in July!!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
let it burn, you won't have to fix it again and your problems will be over instead of ongoing. lots of trany problems, burn it and collect the insurance. unless you like a little s+m and have deep pockets. isn't that why gms come with a goodwrench.

just a suggestion? :d:beer:

Last edited:

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
let it burn, you won't have to fix it again and your problems will be over instead of ongoing. lots of trany problems, burn it and collect the insurance. unless you like a little s+m and have deep pockets. isn't that why gms come with a goodwrench.

just a suggestion? :d:beer:

I'll add your suggestion to my list of possible options to my issue :headscratch3:

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That'd be great...thanks Shawn.

I thought they were not under warranty? My truck is an 07 LBZ...three years approaching in July!!!

They are covered under bumper to bumper 3yrs or 60,000kms not power train. If your still under warrenty then might as well get a free set...make GM feel the pain. It's stupid that they have not come up with a good fix. The replacement hoses will eventually leak and you'll be in the same boat I was.

I've got the same truck '07 LBZ Classic. This is the only issue I've had in 72,000kms. A buddy has an '06 3500 with over 180,000kms with nothing but oil changes.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
They are covered under bumper to bumper 3yrs or 60,000kms not power train. If your still under warrenty then might as well get a free set...make GM feel the pain. It's stupid that they have not come up with a good fix. The replacement hoses will eventually leak and you'll be in the same boat I was.

I've got the same truck '07 LBZ Classic. This is the only issue I've had in 72,000kms. A buddy has an '06 3500 with over 180,000kms with nothing but oil changes.

Thanks Shawn...not too sure if I'll bother...I'd rather fix the problem then hide the symptom...pain in the azz to take it in if they are just going to leak again!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your going to fix it fix it right nothing like being broke down and you having to pay the tow bill to the shop. i feel your pain, every vehicle breaks down, some more than others.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We've replaced many a cooler line with aftermarket lines or lines made up by hydraulic shops....... Eitherway works great.

My thought is if its warranty, then get it done under warranty. The dealer assured us that the last few we've replaced using the factory parts has been upgraded somewhat-- maybe better crimps, I don't know...... ?????

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've replaced many a cooler line with aftermarket lines or lines made up by hydraulic shops....... Eitherway works great.

My thought is if its warranty, then get it done under warranty. The dealer assured us that the last few we've replaced using the factory parts has been upgraded somewhat-- maybe better crimps, I don't know...... ?????

I agree, just on basic principle...make them feel the pain for thier crappy parts! But it is a pita to keep taking the truck in.

I got that story too - this crap don't stink like the last crap?? Turns out it did!

RETODD, maybe you can convince a dealer to install aftermarket parts instead of thier crap and just pay the diff? I've heard "internet claims" some dealers in the states are doing this.

good luck,

Shawn

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are new updated lines and if you know the right people they will goodwill warrenty them up to 100,000,but please dont come into the dealerships acting like jerks!!it's not are fault its the engineers that cant grasp the concept that in canada there is upto a 60 degree temp variance and must have forgotten that the aluminum and rubber expand and contract at different rates:beer:

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
there are new updated lines and if you know the right people they will goodwill warrenty them up to 100,000,but please dont come into the dealerships acting like jerks!!it's not are fault its the engineers that cant grasp the concept that in canada there is upto a 60 degree temp variance and must have forgotten that the aluminum and rubber expand and contract at different rates:beer:

Agree my friend...my best entrance into a situation like this at the dealership is not a demanding one. I'm just a owner ... who just wants it fixed ... not trying to screw anyone. That being said it is the attitude at the other end that will ultimately dictates the way it plays out....I've always had zero negative to say about the place I go...hope that continues. :)

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's not just a Canada deal. those old lines were flawed from the get go. it's been a huge issue Hopefully the new ones are fixed, but I made my own set of lines when they first started leaking and no more problems.

Also if you aren't under warrenty and need to save on cash, they aren't that hard to change out.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's those pics I promised. I got a little distracted yesterday by some sled parts that showed up!

Attachments

• IMGP0122.jpg
    IMGP0122.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 42

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i agree, just on basic principle...make them feel the pain for thier crappy parts! But it is a pita to keep taking the truck in.

I got that story too - this crap don't stink like the last crap?? Turns out it did!

Retodd, maybe you can convince a dealer to install aftermarket parts instead of thier crap and just pay the diff? i've heard "internet claims" some dealers in the states are doing this.
good luck,

shawn

i've had talks with the parts managers at several of the gm dealers we get parts from, and they said it seems to mostly be western canada that really has this problem. Because of the extreme temperature variations we have. One of the managers quoted me that arizona, usa, has only replaced a handful of hoses under warranty. Now that being said, western canada is a very small percentage of north america, so in the big picture, what we suffer with out here, doesn't really factor in to gm's eyes as a problem. Like several have said, expansion/contraction of braided rubber pressure hose and aluminum tubing and crimps is what the failure is. They said the newer assemblies have different hose composition and also the crimps clamps are slightly thicker guage, and are supposed to be somewhat better. Time will tell.

Just sayin'

Top Bottom