angle of attack

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
Alright gents.

It has been mentioned a few times in some thread, but im going to start the process of building another sled, a 97 polaris, got a new tunnel from Van am berg on the way. i am going to drop and roll chain case, set up will be a 144 or 151 for track, power plant yet to be decided, might be a beefed up 8 or 700. Soooooo question is. What is a good angle of attack? please post picks and advice.

CHEERS!

and please no chit fest about this topic, it is a serious post:beer:

Last edited:

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright gents.

It has been mentioned a few times in some thread, but im going to start the process of building another sled, a 97 polaris, got a new tunnel from Van am berg on the way. i am going to drop and roll chain case, set up will be a 144 or 151 for track, power plant yet to be decided, might be a beefed up 8 or 700. Soooooo question is. What is a good angle of attack? please post picks and advice.

CHEERS!

and please no chit fest about this topic, it is a serious post:beer:

As you will soon find out there is alot of clowns on this site who think a wedge is good for nothing. On my wedge if I remember correctly my attack angle is 6 degrees. Ill post pics soon. Long Live The Wedge.

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
I would have thought to have more input regardless of the build (wedge/edge etc). Seems like a lot of peoples building their own rides, or seem to know enuf about building to offer an opinion

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright gents.

CHEERS!

Angle of attack will be based on your drop and roll and skid location. There is no "right" answer to this. Most newer sleds are around 20 degrees. I'm running 12 on one sled and about 12.5 on the other (will post pics after the weekend once the new track is on). If you go with a 144 skid in a 151" track your angle of attack will be better and it will be even better with a drop and roll as well, but depending on the height of your skis and bellypan, a really low angle of attack may hurt you.

If you have an attack angle of 10 degrees but with that angle your skis and bellypan are pushing further into the snow (plowing) then your low angle hurts you, so you have to raise the front suspension and bellypan, which will typically increase your attack angle. Also, a low angle will allow the running boards to hang up a little more if they are closer to the snow. There is a balance and will be a compromise to having a good approach angle and still maintaining good clearance and suspension travel.

When setting up the sled, you will have to find the right balance for the attack angle, you can't just pick an angle and build to that, since there are other parameters that it will affect. here's a sled with a great approach angle... too bad it wouldn't do so well in the deep powder. [media]http://www.nsdra.org/images/IMG_0725.jpg[/media]

Top Bottom