And Yet ANOTHER Deck Question

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I’m the proud new owner of an 8 foot Marathon aluminum deck. I helped a buddy mount it into the box of my truck. We used 1/2” bolts with steel plates on the bottom and mounted it to the bed of the truck. Is this sufficient? Not gonna lie. I’m very leery. That’s a lot of weight for 4 little bolts mounted to a tin box isn’t it?

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you put plates on the bottom and at least some of the plate covering some reinforced areas, it isnt going to pull through. 1/2" bolts are fine.

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. So I bought the deck from a buddy an hour and a half away so just to get it home, I just used what he had. No plates on top and roughly 1”x2” threaded steel plates on the bottom. I plan on swapping them out with 3”x3” plates on top and bottom. As far as turnbuckles go, I would like to use both like mentioned. My questions with those are 1. The legs on the back of the deck are kinda blocking the tie-downs in the truck and 2. Should there be a pre-manufactured spot on the deck where they fasten to?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Instead of turnbuckles I would use heavy duty ratchet straps. Good ones and not ones from Canadian tire. Less chance of coming loose and probably tougher

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I plan on swapping them out with 3”x3” plates on top and bottom.

Personally, I would use a larger plate than that. Somewhere in the 6x6 or 8x8 size. With the chitty boxes these days it is good to have the weight spread out as much as possible. As mentioned in the instructions posted by sc800, I wouldn't use plywood. I would use steel or aluminum.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would use a larger plate than that. Somewhere in the 6x6 or 8x8 size. With the chitty boxes these days it is good to have the weight spread out as much as possible. As mentioned in the instructions posted by sc800, I wouldn't use plywood. I would use steel or aluminum.
Not saying bigger isn't better, but no way are you pulling a 3x3 plate through the box. Plus, good luck finding a spot directly under the legs with the room for an 8x8 to fit.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Not saying bigger isn't better, but no way are you pulling a 3x3 plate through the box. Plus, good luck finding a spot directly under the legs with the room for an 8x8 to fit.

Chit happens and you know what these boxes are made of these days. I wouldn't be putting in a 3x3 plate but whatever turns your crank, get at it!

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Legs of my deck are bolted to pressure treated 2x6, cut to the width of the box to stop any sliding. 4 turnbuckles and 2 big Kennedyne straps one front one rear. Never had a problem. Bolting thru the box floor has always seemed redundant to me. It’s just 18g mild steel, plates or not, it will still stress crack. If you wanted it really crazy strong you would need a bracket like a 5wheel hitch that goes to the frame.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^ my buddies deck had small feet and about 3x3 plates.

One trip the deck bent the box down with 3/4 deep inch dimples on both sides of the back under that set up. That made all the turn buckles loose. It was still bolted but the box was now compromised, bent, and jello.

Now it has a plate across the whole width on the top. Best to both support and fasten to the frame.

Box is just sheet metal! Buddies truck had a 6 1/2 foot box, 7 foot deck, it had a 155 and 146 on it.

Think about how much force cantilevers back on the bumps, especially if you have a short box, long deck, and longer sled! Or aluminum box!

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Legs of my deck are bolted to pressure treated 2x6, cut to the width of the box to stop any sliding. 4 turnbuckles and 2 big Kennedyne straps one front one rear. Never had a problem. Bolting thru the box floor has always seemed redundant to me. It’s just 18g mild steel, plates or not, it will still stress crack. If you wanted it really crazy strong you would need a bracket like a 5wheel hitch that goes to the frame.

Main purpose of bolting is that insurance usually only cover items that are part permanent of the vehicle. That is accomplished by bolting. Just Turnbuckle or straps, insurance may reject paying you out for your deck if you trash your truck.

Ps. I also think you need to have collision on your sled to cover it if you total the whole works. Sled is covered under its own policy.

Last edited:

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Main purpose of bolting is that insurance usually only cover items that are part permanent of the vehicle. That is accomplished by bolting. Just Turnbuckle or straps, insurance may reject paying you out for your deck if you trash your truck.

Ps. I also think you need to have collision on your sled to cover it if you total the whole works. Sled is covered under its own policy.

I deal with insurance regularly, and have never heard of that happening, other than “happened to my buddy’s buddy” kind of thing on forums. They cover slip tanks, tonneau covers, light bars, toppers, tool boxes, etc all the time. If it’s sold as a truck accessory I can’t see it being an issue. I think The sled would definitely be considered cargo tho.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
A sled deck is a pricy accessory, my broker asked me to bring in receipt for the deck and it was added to the policy. Easier to ask than just assume, then when there is an incident you know your covered.
I was told the same thing. Make sure it's noted on your policy!

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Instead of turnbuckles I would use heavy duty ratchet straps. Good ones and not ones from Canadian tire. Less chance of coming loose and probably tougher

Like he said

I use bolts and plates and one huge strap at the front deck never moved

Top Bottom