Analog Beacon

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust one personally... Better to stick with the new technology just to be sure.. Especially when its your life or someone else's on the line

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes they do. Some of the new beacons can't pick up an analog frequency either.

sent from a phone

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have heard, at an avalanche seminar, that the frequency drifts on the older beacons (transceivers). They didn't even recommend keeping them for a spare nor for practising with. Sometimes they make you second guess the new beacon and your confidence level may go down on how to use the new one.

I have also heard via the same source that the covering on the antenna shrinks with age and cracks making them not reliable.

Take if for what it's worth as it is your nightmare if chit happens.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what i heard is the analog beacons are harder to find the exact location when there is more than one beacon buried.they try to receive a signal from both and you could end up looking for a person half way between the buried people(beacons),but as far as i know they don't loose there reliability.with this topic i'm looking for a spare beacon for newbies to use,have 2 people that want to try the mountains so i figured i'd look for a used beacon as a spare,if they like the mountains then they can go buy one,so if anybody has a beacon they want to sell let me know.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard theat the antenna only lasts 5 or so years. The vibration is hard on them. This was from the fellow that sold me my new beacon. Better to be safe than sorry.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We've got the whole she-bang here......you'd best talk or listen to an avalanche expert that isn't into selling beacons to get an unbiased opinion.

I know what I would doo or what I did but it is your decision.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the newest model from orthovox. When I went to buy a beacon the salesman spent about an hour explaining how they work and showed me how they all work. And after seeing how much better the new ones are over the old ones its well worth the extra $80.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've got the whole she-bang here......you'd best talk or listen to an avalanche expert that isn't into selling beacons to get an unbiased opinion.

I know what I would doo or what I did but it is your decision.

i've pretty much heard it all, you can only believe half what a salesman will tell you. the new beacons are new, you don't think a three antenna unit will not drift , just wait a year or two. test your analog unit with other beacons, when and if there is a problem change it out. you'll hear all kinds of scare tactics, to sell ya some new stuff. if you want to upgrade go ahead otherwise the analog units work well. you may need to practice more to get used to it.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've pretty much heard it all, you can only believe half what a salesman will tell you. the new beacons are new, you don't think a three antenna unit will not drift , just wait a year or two. test your analog unit with other beacons, when and if there is a problem change it out. you'll hear all kinds of scare tactics, to sell ya some new stuff. if you want to upgrade go ahead otherwise the analog units work well. you may need to practice more to get used to it.
I'm sure you're right but as a first time sledder I was convinced the new smart antenna technology and LCD display would be the easiest and most helpful to learn on. And I'm looking forward to practicing beacon searches so that I'll have confidence in using it.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they look like they should be, pracrice is key, practice some more as you will be to late when the shheeet hits the fan, looks like the slopes are extreme avi danger and you may get the chance to use the beacon, ya takin avi training?

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was shocked how weak some of the digital beacons were. When I took my training with zacs we did a beacon strength test. The peips went the farthest. Just for your information

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an old pieps(10-15yrs) that has always worked well, just not as easy as the newer stuff. More practice required for sure. I also have a bca tracker which was great, easy to use, almost fool proof. It shat the bed and apparently cannot be fixed, dammit

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't get me wrong i want a new beacon, as they are easier to use especially in multi burials, but the analos still work and with practice work well. practice is key.

Top Bottom