An Interesting Site…

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will this technical marvel vindicate the “Drake Equation” ?

The Drake Equation

How many alien societies exist, and are detectable? This famous formula gives us an idea. The Drake Equation, which was the agenda for a meeting of experts held in West Virginia in 1961, estimates N, the number of transmitting societies in the Milky Way galaxy. The terms are defined as follows:

N : The number of civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy whose electromagnetic emissions are detectable.
R* : The rate of formation of stars suitable for the development of intelligent life (number per year).
fp : The fraction of those stars with planetary systems.
ne : The number of planets, per solar system, with an environment suitable for life.
fl : The fraction of suitable planets on which life actually appears.
fi : The fraction of life bearing planets on which intelligent life emerges.
fc : The fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that produces detectable signs of their existence.
L : The average length of time such civilizations produce such signs (years).

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
…for interests sake,,,,here is a list of astronomy apps…
Just add a good set of binoculars, and your good to go,,,
If the binoculars are on the larger side a good tripod and mount particularly for bins with higher magnifications say 12x +
Personally I use Stellarium however there are several intuitive free ones as well…
https://www.space.com/stellarium-mobile-plus-review

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately JWST isn't looking for life on other bodies, it's looking for the origins of the universe. James Webb can't see most of the visible light spectrum, just some orange and red wavelengths, its mostly focused on the near infrared spectrum and looking at distance stars that occurred at around 100 million years after the big bang.

The magnification though is truly impressive, take a 5 watt nightlight and place it on the moon, now try to observe that from earth, JWST is looking for objects up to 20 times fainter than that.

Here's a cool video on it:

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That guy has cool videos, (nuke sub) dumbs it down the way I like it. The use of the Lagrange point to spot that telescope got me down that rabbit hole.

Very interesting stuff, I forgot about Lagrange points. They make space easier, the sun shade is interesting.
The first part hurt my brain a bit :) I'll watch it again, the graphics are good.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That guy has cool videos, (nuke sub) dumbs it down the way I like it. The use of the Lagrange point to spot that telescope got me down that rabbit hole.

Very interesting stuff, I forgot about Lagrange points. They make space easier, the sun shade is interesting.
The first part hurt my brain a bit :) I'll watch it again, the graphics are good.

He's definitely got a lot of good info on his YouTube channel.

The tech on the JWST is pretty cool, definitely revolutionary because the camera components are cooled to within 50 degrees of absolute zero to keep the camera itself from emitting infrared radiation that would interfere with the image.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard they could see/detect the heat from a bumble bee on the moon

They say it's the most complicated thing man has done...but it's understandable sort of

Medical science is unfathomable to me, like cells and stuff ? :)

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will this technical marvel vindicate the “Drake Equation” ?

The Drake Equation

How many alien societies exist, and are detectable? This famous formula gives us an idea. The Drake Equation, which was the agenda for a meeting of experts held in West Virginia in 1961, estimates N, the number of transmitting societies in the Milky Way galaxy. The terms are defined as follows:

N : The number of civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy whose electromagnetic emissions are detectable.
R* : The rate of formation of stars suitable for the development of intelligent life (number per year).
fp : The fraction of those stars with planetary systems.
ne : The number of planets, per solar system, with an environment suitable for life.
fl : The fraction of suitable planets on which life actually appears.
fi : The fraction of life bearing planets on which intelligent life emerges.
fc : The fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that produces detectable signs of their existence.
L : The average length of time such civilizations produce such signs (years).

So what is the current best estimation of N?

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as “detectable electromagnetic emissions“ just us so far,, We’ve only been looking for +-80yrs ,,,just a blip in the timescale of things,,,
So,,, fc and L may be more difficult to quantify,,,here’s why…
Personally I think most civilizations have a “100-200 year spurt” then AI rapidly becomes the “dominant species” ,,,, All they really need to do is drop a few “tidbits“ of technology upon a developing species (The criteria,,, first radio signals) and we through study & reverse engineering have unwittingly incubated AI,,,
In essence we build the “body” they transmit the information (consciousness),,,
I’m sure given the advancement differential AI forms of communication are camouflaged within ambient “background noise“ and therefore undetectable to fledgling civilizations,,,,
Here’s another observation, Any AI would only require raw materials and not be beholden to the “ habitable zone”… As much as I appreciate Asimov and his ”laws of robotics” these may likely not be a universal norm,,,
My 2 Zlotych,,,

Last edited:
Top Bottom