Amsoil vs Rotella diesel oil

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Price that's about it amsoil you can run way longer but you have to change your filter wasn't really into it shell is great oil

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the amsoil (use it in everything except my cummims) but can't justify the price changing the oil every 6-7000 km only 2012 ram based on changing when evic says to
been running the shell rottela 0w40 for winter oil seems like a good oil and it comes on sale for about 33.00 for a 5 liter jug

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chevron 100% synthetic 5/40 for me. ( duramax)
Ran the shell for quite afew years but they have taken a few good additives out and switched the base oil a couple years back so not as good as it was.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the amsoil (use it in everything except my cummims) but can't justify the price changing the oil every 6-7000 km only 2012 ram based on changing when evic says to
been running the shell rottela 0w40 for winter oil seems like a good oil and it comes on sale for about 33.00 for a 5 liter jug

If you ever get down to the states the rotella is $19.95 a jug

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We use 5w40 Total synthetic, on all the diesels we service, unless the customer requests otherwise... Good stable reliable oil, priced better than most synthetics.... We've used it over 5 years in our shops now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cummins610

Reaction score
I would run whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, all oils mentioned here are top quality. I run Valvoline Premium Blue 5w40, $28.50 for 3.78L

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run whatever 5W-40syn I get for free at the time, either DELO 400LE or Shell Rot T6, and I do my oil changes per 150hrs-200hrs, I also send in an oil sample at 150hrs before I change oil.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ROTELLA t-6 is also Jaso-MA rated which means it's wet clutch safe !!

noubie

Reaction score
Both of them are fine oils.The Amsoil may be a bit more costly.I notice in my bike,it will shift easyier and quieter with the Amsoil.I just read somewhere the canadian tire oil is made by shell,and it falls right under the rotela in a list of quality oils.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Be careful what you read.... Canadian tire oil may be blended by shell, but in no way will it be the same as a shell branded oil.... Petro- Can and Esso oils/fuels the same..... Other no name oils blended by the big oil companies will never be the Same or near as good as the oil companies own oils or fuels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be careful what you read.... Canadian tire oil may be blended by shell, but in no way will it be the same as a shell branded oil.... Petro- Can and Esso oils/fuels the same..... Other no name oils blended by the big oil companies will never be the Same or near as good as the oil companies own oils or fuels

Sorry, I think that is not totally accurate.....Caterpillar & John Deere are known to have the BEST quality oil for diesel engines but neither owns a refinery.....

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the other oil but i ran rotela in my diesel when i had it. Great oil as far as im concerned. Truck ran smoother with it and way easier to start in the winter months to the point i never had to plug it in. I had a shop do some work on it and required most of the oil to be replaced should have been a full oil change but!! After they did that it became hard to start and had to start plugging it back in. Started swapping parts to get it back to the way it used to run. After no success i did a oil change and instantly it was back to the way it was. Obviously the shop did not replace the oil with rotella like i asked.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never base my oil choice on price. I base it on the quality, it's the life blood of the motor why cheap out! Amsoil is my choice, Shell is good oil though!

Remember Amsoil has different levels, which are different price points...if the OP is concerned about price. For example the new OE 10W30 CJ-4 is about half the cost of the Premium 5W40 CJ-4.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be careful what you read.... Canadian tire oil may be blended by shell, but in no way will it be the same as a shell branded oil.... Petro- Can and Esso oils/fuels the same..... Other no name oils blended by the big oil companies will never be the Same or near as good as the oil companies own oils or fuelsSent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Your correct I went to a 5 hr oil seminar on oils and walmart and others put out bids to see who then can blend there oil the cheapest and the scale for base oil is 1 to 5 and 5 being the best walmart oils are a 2 on the scale they use ****ty base oils to blend there mix as for Coop uses a base oil of 4 way better but in the long run the more expensive the oil is the better the product and the difference between the oil companies is the detergent the use in there mix all the base oil are shipped from one company in the states so all the companies use the same base oils just some cheap out on the scale and go low grade to keep cost down

Last edited:
Top Bottom