All wheel drive car for winter?

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a used car (2010-2013) as a spare vehicle in a house with trucks only. Which would you pick, Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T nice car but only makes 211hp, infinity G37X dated design back to 2009, but looks reliable and 3.7 motor is strong, Taurus SHO, tank of a car but over 435hp with a hand held tuner, Chrysler 300 Hemi Awd, thinking the 5.7 w Awd would be a blast. Can source any of those for low to mid 20's.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would definitely stay European. Wife has an AWD Subaru Legacy GT, and it is amazing. You can break trail in the hammer lane while all the F350s and Escalades struggle in the slow lane. It definitely doesn't have the power you are looking for being a 2.5L turbo, but it is a lot of fun to drive. 250hp and only 3200 pounds, it gets around pretty good.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Val has had a Hyandai , Dodge Jouney and now Nissan Murano.

The Nissan is only 8 months old but been the best on the hiway. And great in ice and snow.

Journey was the worst

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good winter tires with studs can make the vehicle too. If it is mainly for winter get some.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
With regards to winter/studded tires, do a double check and make sure that winter/studded are available in the size/sizes that are on the vehicle. Our Genesis GT Coupe (375 hp, rear wheel drive) has staggered, low profile tires and they do not come in studded. With the 8 speed tranny and paddle shifters, this is a more than fun car.

Winter driving has not been a problem but according to the salesmen, rear wheel drive is a pita in the winter (they want to push the SUV's with all wheel drive). Hell, that's all we used to have and we didn't have a problem.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife has a Genisis AWD, can't wait to see what it's like in the snow.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
90% of the 'AWD' systems out there are front wheel drive with a little help from the rear after you've already spun out. This leaves you with 4 choices: 1. Anything from Subaru. 2. Audi Quattro vehicles 3. Acura's SH-AWD 4. Mitsubishi Evo AWD. I have owned two Impreza WRX 5-speeds with dedicated winter tires and it will destroy anything on ice or snow short of a full-on race car. On glare ice highways at 70mph you can crank the wheel hard either direction and think to yourself 'Kinda of fun, not as scary as I thought it would be staring at the ditch', then straighten out the car and carry on with no drama. (drinking a coffee the whole time)

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep WRX all the way, Or an STI even better. Turn up the boost a bit,, she will move.

My Brother has 2 of them, built. Sick car.

Last edited:

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wrx would be a neat car but I'm a bit old for that my kids would think I'm "the fast and the fiftyish"

never knew the genesis could be had Awd, also read good reviews about Accura Awd cars.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you might want to pick a car like the audi a4 on the car and driver site they usually will go back to versions 5yrs back and then rate it in its class and give you other alternatives

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to agree with the Subaru guys but Infiniti is very good too. We just got our second QX80 but have also driven some of the cars and they're designed well and have great technology

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wrx would be a neat car but I'm a bit old for that my kids would think I'm "the fast and the fiftyish"

never knew the genesis could be had Awd, also read good reviews about Accura Awd cars.
3.8 goes like stink, like riding on a cloud, sedan handles like a sports car, all the features us 50'ish guys like.

I like the subaru's but that would lead to way too much fun as those younger ones mention.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A Legacy could be a good choice as they are aimed toward the family crowd and are mid-sized, more conservative looking. A lot of other's technology is expensive to repair and has tons of electronics. Subaru has basically used the same drivetrain for the last 25 years and its dead simple and easy to work on, if you are looking for a used vehicle.

Last edited:

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a little biased toward Subaru as well, the Legacy GT has basically same drivetrain as the WRX but without the boy racer styling

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've driven 4WD trucks for ever, I had a Subaru for the last couple years and it is the absolute best winter vehicle hat I've ever had, and a blast to drive!! (It was a STI)

Braaaaapppp!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
90% of the 'AWD' systems out there are front wheel drive with a little help from the rear after you've already spun out. This leaves you with 4 choices: 1. Anything from Subaru. 2. Audi Quattro vehicles 3. Acura's SH-AWD 4. Mitsubishi Evo AWD. I have owned two Impreza WRX 5-speeds with dedicated winter tires and it will destroy anything on ice or snow short of a full-on race car. On glare ice highways at 70mph you can crank the wheel hard either direction and think to yourself 'Kinda of fun, not as scary as I thought it would be staring at the ditch', then straighten out the car and carry on with no drama. (drinking a coffee the whole time)

Don't forget Volvo. If I am not mistaken, I think the Ford Edge now uses similar AWD tech to the Volvo. Wifes Volvo XC60 with winter tires actually makes winter driving fun. Numerous trips top the mountains skiing has qualified it's winter prowess. We looked at the Subaru products as well. Was a tough decision. Subaru worked hard trying to convince us not go the Volvo route. It is their biggest competition in the AWD world. Either would be an excellent choice. We just found the Volvo to be a slightly nicer car all around. Subarua for all out performance, Volvo for performance with a little luxury.

Watch the Audi products....anyone we know that had an Audi ended up getting rid of it, saying the cars were getting problem prone.

Last edited:

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most awd vehicles now all operate the same way, awd is achieved via a viscus coupling. power split front to rear is usually around 90\10 till power is required else were, even subaru operates via a coupling. ford used to use a volvo awd system in the taurus x and freestyle and thank christ they stopped it was horrible.

Awd system monitors the road so closely that you would never know its working, the systems can predict wheel slip and adjust as needed. when you say by the time it locks your already fawked that would be like a t-case style awd that requires a t-case to lock up.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't own an Audi personally. WRX, STI or Evo would be my choices but the Legacy looks great and much more mature.

Top Bottom