Alex ratio change from 3.73 to 4:10

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Axle ratio change from 3.73 to 4:10

Has anyone changed their axle ratio on their 4X4 to help with towing ? I currently have a F250 with a 5.4 L and axle ratio of 3.73 and I am curious if changing to 4:10 or lower will help or is it a waste of $. Anyone recommend a good shop ( in the Edmonton area) to get a quote and get this work done at ? Thanks

:cool:

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Axle ratio change from 3.73 to 4:10

this ratio change does help with towing, but your rpm's of the motor also go up, so not sure how much that would effect your mileage ?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
has anyone changed their axle ratio on their 4x4 to help with towing ? I currently have a f250 with a 5.4 l and axle ratio of 3.73 and i am curious if changing to 4:10 or lower will help or is it a waste of $. Anyone recommend a good shop ( in the edmonton area) to get a quote and get this work done at ? Thanks

:cool:

that will affect your gas mileage for sure.... There will be at least a 15% increase in engine rpm/speed..... Eg. I you were dooing 2000 rpm at 100kph, you will be dooing 2400rpm afterwards..... Pulling capabilities will be better, but its not cheap to change both diffs and also correct the speedometer......... I would personally look to improving what you have, via exhaust, air intake, performance chip etc.... Cheaper and will help with gas mileage to boot!!! Pm me if you want to talk about any of this.... We have gone both ways for customers, but the most satifsified are the bolt on additions, rather than gear changes.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that will affect your gas mileage for sure.... There will be at least a 15% increase in engine rpm/speed..... Eg. I you were dooing 2000 rpm at 100kph, you will be dooing 2400rpm afterwards..... Pulling capabilities will be better, but its not cheap to change both diffs and also correct the speedometer......... I would personally look to improving what you have, via exhaust, air intake, performance chip etc.... Cheaper and will help with gas mileage to boot!!! Pm me if you want to talk about any of this.... We have gone both ways for customers, but the most satifsified are the bolt on additions, rather than gear changes.

What Summitric said! I looked at it with my last truck (2500 chev w/454 and 3.73 gears) and for the $$ it wasn't worth it. I'm betting with the 5.4 towing your mileage is the pits anyways so doing mods will help boost mpg as well.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Save your money its not worth putting in gears.Do some aftermarket mods will be your best bang for your buck.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my opinion it's not worth the money for that change from 3:73 to 4:10.I did it for a another tech at our shop.He got a really good deal on a trade-in and had me change the gear set.It only made approx 300rpm difference and only brought him up from 1700 @ 100kmh to 2000rpm.Still downshifts at every hill pulling only 4500lbs trailer.His was only a 2wd and he only uses it to pull the trailer.His fuel mileage never changed when pulling the trailer from one gear set to the other.Truck accelerates from a stop slightly better but still frustrates him in the hills.
I did the change from 3:73 to 4:30 in my F350 v10 and now I pull down the highway turning 2400rpm @ 100kmh.Only downshifts on grades above 4%.Fuel mileage empty suffered greatly but is actually better pulling due to the fact it no longer downshifts on most hills.I have completed a bunch of mods including a Volant cold air intake,larger throttle body,programer and Banks exhaust.I completed all these before the gear change and my mileage never really change for the better.The Ford Triton engines do not really get better mileage with mods,they just like fuel too much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom