Alberta's New Budget

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, the U.S. has been doing this forever...

The reason they keep going it because of them feeding the machine, and the confidence of investors is high.

There is a lot of confidence in Alberta, and I agree, sometimes you do have to shell out money to make money.

It's like a turbo... Naturally aspirated motors can only perform so much, but if you jam air and fuel down it's intake you get performance.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe they'll do a don't pay a cent event till 2050! Good thing these bankers can always just pull as much money as we ask for out of their azz! They have a never ending supply of that chit!

What would we ever do without these hero's to humanity?. Rhetorical question.

Last edited:

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You better look closely, the bulkley valley is a full NDP riding, federal and provincial. I'm not a ndp guy but the valley is a clear representation of those who work for a living and those who vote for a living. Actually last I heard Nathan Cullen is up for the leadership role of the federal ndp. Probably one of the only ndp ridings in the west.
hmm i think most of us in ne bc and alberta represent people who work for a living . not everybody can or wants to make a living in tourism, other than houston and smithers with the mills that are left what is going to on driving the economy. ndp = anti hunting, anti gun, come very strongly against backcountry access. they very enviro oriented , which is fine if someone else is paying the bills . look at rupert after skeena cellulose pulled out ,will never get those jobs back ..thanks to a little thing called the forestry practices code and a butt smear named Glen Clark who was our NDP premier that brought that bunch of bs . not all of us guys that "work for and vote for a living " want some half assed government sponsored way of making a living either .

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You better look closely, the bulkley valley is a full NDP riding, federal and provincial. I'm not a ndp guy but the valley is a clear representation of those who work for a living and those who vote for a living. Actually last I heard Nathan Cullen is up for the leadership role of the federal ndp. Probably one of the only ndp ridings in the west.
You mean a clear representation of a riding with high unemployment and a high percentage of native population. Frankly your statement of "work for a living and those who vote for a living" is laughable. I think if you could get the demographics of the vote in your riding it would be highly predictable.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To respond to both of you........ The area of bulkley stakine is mad up of a higher then average ratio of native population vs non native. Also because smithers is a hub for the north all the government offices are out of here, forest, mines, etc plus school district Zoning all of witch typically and I use that term in a general terms not trying to paint all with the same brush, but generally speaking those groups do vote ndp. Just because oil and gas isn't here doesn't mean unemployment is high. There is a multitude of industry but if you look at the voting region stretching from Bella coola to the Yukon border it is vast and so is the demographics. So many union jobs and government workers. Take in to account it is the largest riding with the fewest population and yes there is a large amount that don't want or have to work because the right party gets in. If you have been to Rupert or kitimate or terrace in the last 3 years you wouldn't even know mills existed in those towns as markets there are booming, yes all in hope of pipelines bit without their access it's worthless. Trust me I've grown up here and know what it's all about seeing industries die and thrive combined with nearly 15 years oil and gas experience. As far as hard rock mining goes smithers is pretty much the nisku of the drilling industry. To call it a tourism based economy is so far blind sighted however like any sustainable economy it is diversified and hunting and fishing to play a part. Talk to any realtor and they will tell you it's the most expensive market north of Vancouver with the exception of fsj per capita. I'm not defending ndp actions only your comments towards not having a ndp representative. It's a major struggle here between natural resource harvesting and government allowance along with native intersection.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one is giving me a cheque for not working, I am in the same boat as many here on s&m but spending my day complaining about a ndp government isn't going to do my family any good. What ever happened to when the going gets tough the tough get going?

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
really talked to a realtor from prince rupert about 2 weeks ago and had not sold a shack in 6 six months, that place is hurting . smithers the nisku of mining ? ,that there is some funny chit.. .native population will vote for for who ever promises them the most as will we all . not sure kitamat ever had a mill ?? maybe . the only thing holding pr from drifting off into the ocean is the commercial fishermen and the coal /grain terminal. where do you think that is coming from ?

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U do mean fortunately right....

Our very demographic (S&M board members) in very general terms work hard to play hard. Long and short you create your own "luck". This being said there are circumstances beyond our control the price of oil, mining etc. If a local govt wants to increase GDP, why not make it more appealing for manufacturing, technology ...more diversified type industries to set up shop here.
In my own little world as a drywall contractor I do a little bit of everything insurance work, new homes, commercial developments, private renos..etc. Not all my eggs are in one basket so to speak. I do see slowdowns in certain areas from time to time, fortunately so far have never been completely dead in the water....The scary part is when everything grinds to a halt due to dips in resource prices, overspending, increased taxes, increased social programs, it could happen....
If we see more diversification one may not be a rig hand but still gainfully employed in mfg, technology, construction etc...
In fact even western grow op technology is world renowned, could be one of the republic of western Canada's biggest exports..
A platform for separation, maybe..
Oh and stop with the useless crap, 30' tall baseball bat (118ave & 97st) , chromey balls (Whitmud freeway,, still don't know exactly what they're supposed to be/do..)

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To respond to both of you........ The area of bulkley stakine is mad up of a higher then average ratio of native population vs non native. Also because smithers is a hub for the north all the government offices are out of here, forest, mines, etc plus school district Zoning all of witch typically and I use that term in a general terms not trying to paint all with the same brush, but generally speaking those groups do vote ndp. Just because oil and gas isn't here doesn't mean unemployment is high. There is a multitude of industry but if you look at the voting region stretching from Bella coola to the Yukon border it is vast and so is the demographics. So many union jobs and government workers. Take in to account it is the largest riding with the fewest population and yes there is a large amount that don't want or have to work because the right party gets in. If you have been to Rupert or kitimate or terrace in the last 3 years you wouldn't even know mills existed in those towns as markets there are booming, yes all in hope of pipelines bit without their access it's worthless. Trust me I've grown up here and know what it's all about seeing industries die and thrive combined with nearly 15 years oil and gas experience. As far as hard rock mining goes smithers is pretty much the nisku of the drilling industry. To call it a tourism based economy is so far blind sighted however like any sustainable economy it is diversified and hunting and fishing to play a part. Talk to any realtor and they will tell you it's the most expensive market north of Vancouver with the exception of fsj per capita. I'm not defending ndp actions only your comments towards not having a ndp representative. It's a major struggle here between natural resource harvesting and government allowance along with native intersection.
I suggest your the one who should spread their wings a bit and get out and see the rest of the world. I have spend a fair amount of time in the Bulkley Valley, Kitimat, Terrace and Rupert area. Kitamat and Terrace are doing well, the rest ...............................

But you already made my point, a very high native population combined with a higher than average government work per capita and you have the recipe for continued NDP representation.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shell pulls out of the oil sands!!! Oh well who needs them. And this is how stupid Harper was he did not even take his full pension!!

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You really should do some research prior to making comments you no nothing about. For starters I'm not sure if you have heard of a little company called petronas??? But if you haven't they are the ones that own progess energy..... Well Prince Rupert is where they are building their lng terminal. Next on your list to research would be eurocan, that was the paper mill owned by west Fraser timber that was in kitimat. Should probably look up methanex too since your searching for kitimat.Next on your list would be to look up the golden triangle that represents about 90% of Canada's gold exploration and see where it lies and the companies involved and where their offices are located. See who the top diamond drilling companies in the country are and where the come from. Second thought stay in your little cocoon of Dawson Creek.
really talked to a realtor from prince rupert about 2 weeks ago and had not sold a shack in 6 six months, that place is hurting . smithers the nisku of mining ? ,that there is some funny chit.. .native population will vote for for who ever promises them the most as will we all . not sure kitamat ever had a mill ?? maybe . the only thing holding pr from drifting off into the ocean is the commercial fishermen and the coal /grain terminal. where do you think that is coming from ?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suggest your the one who should spread their wings a bit and get out and see the rest of the world. I have spend a fair amount of time in the Bulkley Valley, Kitimat, Terrace and Rupert area. Kitamat and Terrace are doing well, the rest ...............................

But you already made my point, a very high native population combined with a higher than average government work per capita and you have the recipe for continued NDP representation.

I'm glad you get to spend some time here it beautiful and hope you can come back for some sledding. Keeping in mind I live here and see it every day I do feel I can make the comments on what it is I see. Feel free to give me a ring next time your through and perhaps I can show you around so your views aren't so limited.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you get to spend some time here it beautiful and hope you can come back for some sledding. Keeping in mind I live here and see it every day I do feel I can make the comments on what it is I see. Feel free to give me a ring next time your through and perhaps I can show you around so your views aren't so limited.

While your at it why dont you take the time to explain why your region has the highest unemployment rate in BC? The thing is you may be seeing some positive signs in your area, but as a whole it is lagging compared to the rest of the province. But back to the original premise of this discussion, your riding has been prominent NDP for years and I maintain the reason for that is the high unemployment, high ratio of native population and high ratio of government workers. All typical demographics of NDP voters. Any growth in region has not come from NDP representation, rather it has come despite NDP representation. Simple fact, the VAST majority of growth in the Bulkley Valley has been from natural resources.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You really should do some research prior to making comments you no nothing about. For starters I'm not sure if you have heard of a little company called petronas??? But if you haven't they are the ones that own progess energy..... Well Prince Rupert is where they are building their lng terminal. Next on your list to research would be eurocan, that was the paper mill owned by west Fraser timber that was in kitimat. Should probably look up methanex too since your searching for kitimat.Next on your list would be to look up the golden triangle that represents about 90% of Canada's gold exploration and see where it lies and the companies involved and where their offices are located. See who the top diamond drilling companies in the country are and where the come from. Second thought stay in your little cocoon of Dawson Creek.
Just curious why you would be promoting Eurocan, that Pulpmill has been closed for more than 10 years, and Methanex, correct me if I am wrong, but did they not shut their doors in Kitimat around 2006-2007?

If you want to promote growth in the region Rio Tinto is by far the biggest economic driver in that area, as well as some LNG proposed plants, but nothing secured at this point, all in discussion phase but nothing fully approved.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When the NDP were in power in BC they brought in so many rules and regulations that 1/2 the mines were forced to shut down, and the forest practice code was so out to lunch it cost the forest industry millions. But if you where a welfare case life was good for awhile until our debt was so great that that had to be cut back. What a nightmare and I voted for them once...hope Alberta fairs better

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious why you would be promoting Eurocan, that Pulpmill has been closed for more than 10 years, and Methanex, correct me if I am wrong, but did they not shut their doors in Kitimat around 2006-2007?

If you want to promote growth in the region Rio Tinto is by far the biggest economic driver in that area, as well as some LNG proposed plants, but nothing secured at this point, all in discussion phase but nothing fully approved.

OMG is little SWATTY all FUBAR with his research! Maybe he should take his own advice and stay in his little cocoon. What joker

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mentioned it because the guy had said kitimat never had a mill, but in fact it did. are you saying it didn't? im not promoting anything.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup your all fawked,your government is going to send you all to the welfare line,might aswell just sell all your toys and pack your **** up and move out of that province,I hear Newfoundland is cheap livin with great government handouts,don't come to BC are liberal government here sucks to so might as well head east.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You answered it rightly so your self, high ratio of native population. Take a look at Hazelton, has a 97% unemployment rate with a 95% native population......MMMMMM wonder why........ Until it is forced for them to get a job, including welfare white men that live on the rez, and the hand outs keep coming there is no reason for them to work. You guys are trying to make a argument out of nothing. The original comment was made that the bulkley valley isn't NDP, but fact of the matter is that it is. Not saying I like it but it is the way it is. Is there some point your trying to make?
While your at it why dont you take the time to explain why your region has the highest unemployment rate in BC? The thing is you may be seeing some positive signs in your area, but as a whole it is lagging compared to the rest of the province. But back to the original premise of this discussion, your riding has been prominent NDP for years and I maintain the reason for that is the high unemployment, high ratio of native population and high ratio of government workers. All typical demographics of NDP voters. Any growth in region has not come from NDP representation, rather it has come despite NDP representation. Simple fact, the VAST majority of growth in the Bulkley Valley has been from natural resources.

Top Bottom