Alberta to implement helmet law for atv

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you ride in a CanAm SxS, you need a helmet to prevent hearing damage from the gear whine. That's enough reason besides the obvious safety concerns.

My xmr is way louder than the regular maverick with its lower gearing

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When my kids were young we would go to the local ice rink. I would make them wear a helmet. The school would take them to the local ski hill and they had to wear a helmet, it wasn't mandatory but i made them. On their bicycles they wore there helmet or no riding the bike, i also wore my helmet. I've personally seen where other kids are involved in the same activities and no helmet's. The parent's are clueless. Kids with no helmets was more the norm and if your kid had a helmet he or she was a minority. Actually was asked once if my kid had an injury to the head because they had a helmet on. LOL
Today my kids are adults now in there mid 20's and today they wear their helmet's when ever they are involved in a risky head injury sport. We all lead or fallow by example, people tend to make excuses for there action's but a serious head injury happen's only once. After that try to come up with an excuse for not wearing it.
I do believe common sense needs applies to when you need to wear it.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think this helmet law should apply to hikers in the bush on quad trails, u never know when some Mario Andretti is coming down the trail at 60-70 mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think this helmet law should apply to hikers in the bush on quad trails, u never know when some Mario Andretti is coming down the trail at 60-70 mph

You ride your quad on lots of hiking trails?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No maybe read again, on quad trails, although you may see hikers and horsey people too, And i may or may not be wearing hemet also.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No maybe read again, on quad trails, although you may see hikers and horsey people too, And i may or may not be wearing hemet also.

Horse riders absolutely should be wearing a helmet and they will be the last ones to ever do it. I never have and probably never would, even though the beasts could toss you into the rocks at 30mph on a whim.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Likely should, but I'm in the camp that you do what ya need to do, i sure don't need the government to tell me what to do. Your choice, you live with it is how i feel

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throughout this whole post i keep seeing comments "the government is not going to tell me what to do". Give your head a shake and look around the government tells you what to do and spend on every turn around. Maby pick a better fight than one that will ultimately save lives. You don't want the gov telling you what you can and cannot do then its time to live off the grid and live off the land.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throughout this whole post i keep seeing comments "the government is not going to tell me what to do". Give your head a shake and look around the government tells you what to do and spend on every turn around. Maby pick a better fight than one that will ultimately save lives. You don't want the gov telling you what you can and cannot do then its time to live off the grid and live off the land.

if you are not smart enough to wear a helmet without having the government ordering you to maybe move to Russia were you won't have to make any of your own decisions. I can definitely make my own decisions as to my personal safety thank you very much.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the government (OH&S) is already involved. It it law to wear a helmet while riding a ohv at work. I haven't been fined but I do have the reg's.
Now if their are people around, I wear my lid loading and unloading.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Actually i'm not sure if the helmet thing is really about saving lives, in some cases that maybe the case. But in reality when your dead your dead...
Its more about brain injury.
Not wearing a helmet increases your chance of brain injury substantially in power sports and yes other sports and that is the game changer. Not just for the individual that might now lose their job, house and possibly partner and family. Including friends and other relationships they might have. Yes in many brain injury cases this actually happen's, cause not many people want or can deal with the aftermath.
But its the cost to society that they impose afterwards, especially when they are young. In other words, if the dude or dudette can't tie their shoe's or eat without a bib....someone will have to do it and that in most cases ends up on government support system's that is sponsored by tax payer's till that dude or dudette moves on from this world.
So yes, we need to get after those that won't wear the gear.
BTW, getting back to the "saving lives", when your dead, you don't cost or impose a cost on anyone. So dead is better for the tax payers.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kow and I were out for a ride to testing my CSA/ OSA Lincoln hard-hat beany, They sat they are just a tuff as a Mel-Mack wooden Salad Bowl !

I have one on order for Kow since she likes going for quad rides and we need to look after her horns.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find this perfect in the sxs

those look cool and all but they leave alot exposed esp the back of your neck area and your face is also exposed.

the thing about crashing is you usually dont just get knocked on the top of the head.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bestest pumpkin bucket from 10.000 BC.

Cave-man took on dragons & sword wheeling gladiators with this model.
Funny_Helmet__4.jpg

That's what I told !

Top Bottom