Alberta Insurance question

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have "comprehensive" insurance (fire, theft, specified perils). I flipped my trailer while towing and damanged the sled. According to "specified perills" it is covered when on or towed by a vehicle.

An adjuster said maybe yes maybe no, they will asses each on a case by case basis...

Anyone know what this means? IE, if the towing vehicle is damaged? if it is driver error? if the sled comes off the trailer?.. etc etc.

any ideas???

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have "comprehensive" insurance (fire, theft, specified perils). I flipped my trailer while towing and damanged the sled. According to "specified perills" it is covered when on or towed by a vehicle.

An adjuster said maybe yes maybe no, they will asses each on a case by case basis...

Anyone know what this means? IE, if the towing vehicle is damaged? if it is driver error? if the sled comes off the trailer?.. etc etc.

any ideas???

My insurance company say's if I get into a wreck they cover trailer but not cargo , when i haul my buddies iron i tell them that there is no insurance , I happy with my insurance company they seem to look after me , mind you I'm fairly low maintance , looking to hear what others say , make sure you ask don't assume

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

any ideas???

I will be watching closely. Keep us updated please. My adjustor told me that any damage occured to vehicles being towed the claim is with the primary vehicle. Hope this helps/

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have just "comprehensive insurance" and was told by my insurance agent that the trailer and contents are fully insured as long as the trailer is attached to my vehicle...so i would think you should be covered.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I was told by my agent that every motorized vehicle need its own policy with Collision in order to be covered for collision while being towed. This also goes for any uninsured motorized vehicles you may have in your shop at the time of a fire. Shop and contents are covered but not the toys :(

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have just "comprehensive insurance" and was told by my insurance agent that the trailer and contents are fully insured as long as the trailer is attached to my vehicle...so i would think you should be covered.

Well that is what I was led to believe, but an adjuster told my broker that they have to evaluate the incident.. when asked, the adjuster wouldn't disclose what this meant. This makes me nervous as it seems like a open ended excuse to deny coverage.

I want to make sure I don't leave out any details that will ensure coverage...

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Well that is what I was led to believe, but an adjuster told my broker that they have to evaluate the incident.. when asked, the adjuster wouldn't disclose what this meant. This makes me nervous as it seems like a open ended excuse to deny coverage.

I want to make sure I don't leave out any details that will ensure coverage...

Definitely keep us posted on the outcome. I'm curious.

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
too bad insurance companies are just that...companies. they are in it to make money, if they can at all find a way out of a policy claim they will

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am insured with Primmum Ins. and they told me that if I was pulling a trailer and the machines were damaged as a result and had no collision the machines were covered. Which insurance company are you with??

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am insured with Primmum Ins. and they told me that if I was pulling a trailer and the machines were damaged as a result and had no collision the machines were covered. Which insurance company are you with??
Even if your truck does not have Collision coverage ?

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even if your truck does not have Collision coverage ?

I have collision on my truck. I am looking for the info as it was on my policy I will get back to you witht he wording, one day I read and called them and said I was covered in a situation like you have. Give me approx. 1 hour to find it.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have collision on my truck. I am looking for the info as it was on my policy I will get back to you witht he wording, one day I read and called them and said I was covered in a situation like you have. Give me approx. 1 hour to find it.
Specified Perils which I have.
It states Covers the automobile against loss or damaged caused by certain specific perils. They are fire, theft, lighting, windstorm, hail, earthquake, explosion, riot, falling aircraft, rising water, or an accident to a vehichle or boat on which the automobile is being transported ex: trailer.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with Phoenix Group and they tell me to pound sand. Bastages :rant:
I believe that Phoenix is a broker, is that correct. I checked the website, looks as they are a broker. Do you know what the insurance company is, as Phoenix has companies through out Alberta.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Specified Perils which I have.
It states Covers the automobile against loss or damaged caused by certain specific perils. They are fire, theft, lighting, windstorm, hail, earthquake, explosion, riot, falling aircraft, rising water, or an accident to a vehichle or boat on which the automobile is being transported ex: trailer.
I think I should go in to Cooperators and ask the question..

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The thing I learned in my case was that as long as the trailer was attatched to the vehicle it was covered. If the trailer became detatched I was hoopped. so it all comes down to the word game

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now we are getting somewhere.. I am insured through Aviva.

It's particular wording like that (my trailer remained attached, or the sled remained afixed to the trailer,.. etc etc..) these are details i'm after.

The wording in my policy reads like this as well "Specified Perils which I have.
It states Covers the automobile against loss or damaged caused by certain specific perils. They are fire, theft, lighting, windstorm, hail, earthquake, explosion, riot, falling aircraft, rising water, or an accident to a vehichle or boat on which the automobile is being transported "

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told by my agent that every motorized vehicle need its own policy with Collision in order to be covered for collision while being towed. This also goes for any uninsured motorized vehicles you may have in your shop at the time of a fire. Shop and contents are covered but not the toys :(

I was told the same thing, you need collision insurance on the sled to cover it if there's an accident when towing it. Agent is Statefarm.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Now we are getting somewhere.. I am insured through Aviva.

It's particular wording like that (my trailer remained attached, or the sled remained afixed to the trailer,.. etc etc..) these are details i'm after.

The wording in my policy reads like this as well "Specified Perils which I have.
It states Covers the automobile against loss or damaged caused by certain specific perils. They are fire, theft, lighting, windstorm, hail, earthquake, explosion, riot, falling aircraft, rising water, or an accident to a vehichle or boat on which the automobile is being transported "

Are they talking about "The Automobile" that is insured under this policy though?
I'm reading it like the specific insured automobile would be covered if it were to be in an accident while being transported ... Then again its almost 1:30 in the morning and The whiskey's been tasting mighty fine tonight :d

Top Bottom