Alberta Employers looking to temp-lay off employes due to Pandemic

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
if they are giving 75% to businesses that can show a 30% decrease in business of a benchmark month. Not sure how this is going to work as most alberta business have lost 30% in business over the last 1 1/2 years. Then if you havent it will take a few months to show this hit. And for businesses like mine for instance that i had 2 employees and they did a lot of the field work, now i laid one off and am doing more of that field work myself so keep the company afloat then working at office in the evening and weekends to make sure the work i did do is flowing. So it would take a while before i see a loss.

I can speak for the majority of businesses the owners, we cannot wait to see if we qualify and then have to wait for 3 more weeks to receive any assistance, that is much too late, we all ready let our employees go and we don't have any money left to rehire them and give them 25% of nothing. For the business that are hanging on they should of increased all from 10% subsidy to 30% immediately and then offered a program for the remainder to go up to 70% based on losses. We wont even see the first round of returns to our march 15 remittances until april 15. Some one needs to get there head out there ass here. Small shops wont survive this and need help now. When you write all the cheques for foreign help you send them immediately , now wake up and get your butt in gear.

aint gonna happen... Sockboy and his govt are oblivious to "real" canadians..... Period!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone smart know to get that business loan since taxes for 2019 haven't been filed is there anyway to go back and pay yourself $50k in payroll to qualify and do it legally? Might as well take free money if there's a way since everyone else will be.....

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone smart know to get that business loan since taxes for 2019 haven't been filed is there anyway to go back and pay yourself $50k in payroll to qualify and do it legally? Might as well take free money if there's a way since everyone else will be.....
Justin said “ there will be serious trouble for people caught abusing this” lol

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Justin said “ there will be serious trouble for people caught abusing this” lol

Fawk the idiot.

Seriously though I wouldn't risk it if it's not 100% legit, but if there is a way to do it that is legal i'm all for it. I just don't know if there is a way to try and go back without having given yourself a T4 or remitted any source deductions in the previous year. At the very least going to call an accountant monday and ask.

It's BS that's a requirement. It fawks over so many legitimate businesses who need it as much as ones with that amount of payroll.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The other requirement on the 40K fund to help pay for operating costs that Cant be differed, such as rent or operating costs. So for a restaurant of hair salon or something like that, then every business will be heavy in debt.

• A $40,000 interest-free, government‑guaranteed loan to help pay for operating costs that can't be deferred as a result of COVID‑19.
  • $10,000 (25%) of the $40,000 loan is eligible for complete forgiveness if $30,000 is fully repaid on or before De‍cember 31, 20‍22.
  • If the loan cannot be repaid by De‍cember 31, 20‍22, it can be converted into a 3‑year term loan at an interest rate of 5%.

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same here regarding the 10%. Ran the payroll , and will have saved $438.
That should save the business .
Hopefully the 75% will allow for the retention of the current employees .
Crazy times .

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
An example is on the canada goverment website of the wage relief, what business has the money to stay closed and pay there staff, this is just a cop out from the goverment to pay EI. Feel bad for these busineses.

[h=2]How businesses will benefit from the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy[/h]
Bruno and Tisha run a floral shop in Burnaby, British Columbia. They have four full‑time employees, each earning $800 per week, and 6 part-time employees, each earning $400 per week, for a total weekly payroll of $5,600. Bruno and Tisha have closed their shop and are only fulfilling online orders during this challenging period. They are keeping all of their employees on the payroll, paying them their full regular wages, despite their revenues being down by 30 per cent. Bruno and Tisha would be eligible for a weekly wage subsidy of $4,200 ($600 for each of their full-time employees and $300 for each of their part-time employees).

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An example is on the canada goverment website of the wage relief, what business has the money to stay closed and pay there staff, this is just a cop out from the goverment to pay EI. Feel bad for these busineses.

How businesses will benefit from the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy

Bruno and Tisha run a floral shop in Burnaby, British Columbia. They have four full‑time employees, each earning $800 per week, and 6 part-time employees, each earning $400 per week, for a total weekly payroll of $5,600. Bruno and Tisha have closed their shop and are only fulfilling online orders during this challenging period. They are keeping all of their employees on the payroll, paying them their full regular wages, despite their revenues being down by 30 per cent. Bruno and Tisha would be eligible for a weekly wage subsidy of $4,200 ($600 for each of their full-time employees and $300 for each of their part-time employees).

The scary part is they could deny it later. I think in some cases they are banking on revenues not meeting the 30% and getting off not paying a dime.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since my business is mostly is residential monitoring of asbestos abatement due to insurance claims as Drywall, Ceilings, and flooring in pre 1986 houses mostly contains asbestos, we do this for Insurance Companies and Restoration Contractors. I have to thin out my staff now for a bit until this gets back to normal, or controlled where we can continue with abatements. Im giving temp layoffs to workers, however temporary layoff in Alberta is a maximum of 60 days. Then you have to terminate the worker with the required severance pay that you owe them based on the duration they worked for you. This is very tough to say that this will be over in 60 days. My thoughts are that the Alberta government needs to extend this to 120 days or offer an extension, currently there is no thought of this.
They extended the temp layoff period to 120 days today.

Top Bottom