Alberta Budget

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I'm laying in emergency having a heart attack I want the highest paid , best educated RN and doctor available looking after me.
But that's just me , I buy snap on tools instead of princess auto tools

Oh fawk me. I would rather have the best person there period, regardless if they're an RN or an LPN. Sure looks like a lot of people need to do some homework in the Nursing sector.

Anyways, we should get back to the OP...

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Oh wow..really? You do realize that LPN's now do damn near everything an RN does, right. And get half the amount.

That's the point................damn near everythng! There are good LPN's out there and the ones that can handle the professional aspect and the pressure seem to go and get that extra piece of paper. There must be a reason other than the higher wages.

What you are saying is like having a teacher's aide doing the job of the teacher. That doesn't cut it! What is the difference in wage between a first year apprentice and a journeyman? Education (I use that term a little loosely) makes a difference or at least it used to.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Highest paying part time job there is

Its only part time for the crappy ones who see it as a job, not a career . I believe with teachers at least the biggest problem is the union , not the teachers. If you are another who is naive and gullible enough to believe all teachers are worth the same, and contribute and have the same commitment to the kids future, you're a special kind of stupid.
In Alberta , and probably most places, when you think quality of employable people, especially men and the opportunities that exist, think about how many ambitious, responsible, conscientious men who are gonna be satisfied with a career that starts you at $50 k ish and usually max's at $75 k ish. Good luck, that's friggen retail wages, and you're entrusting the education and moulding of you're kids, but you'll pay the plumber to fix your toilet $80/ hr.
We have to give more value the education system , stop treating it like a day care.

mick

Reaction score
How do you figure out the hourly wage of a teacher? When I was teaching it wasn't 9-3 like so many think it is. Gold plated benefits? You must be dreaming or making it up...........The waste in health care doesn't come from the RN's. You should be lucky you have the few remaining that you do rather than the numbers of LPN's that are flooding the system.

I guess I hit a sore note!

If the both of you ran for office with that platform, would you get elected?

On average, a beginning teacher, working full-time in Alberta with:
  • 4 years of university (Bachelor of Education or B.Ed. degree) earns approximately $58,500.
  • 5 years of university with a B.Ed. degree earns approximately $61,800.
  • 6 years of university with a B. Ed. degree earns approximately $65,400.
On average, an early career teacher, working full-time in Alberta with 10+ years of experience and:

• 4 years of university (B.Ed. degree) earns approximately $92,300.
  • 5 years of university with a B.Ed. degree earns approximately $95,600.
  • 6 years of university with a B. Ed. degree earns approximately $99,300.

mick

Reaction score
As for nurses.... an rn is worth the $$$, LPN... go back to school, the middle managers and boards need to be thinned with a chain saw

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for nurses.... an rn is worth the $$$, LPN... go back to school, the middle managers and boards need to be thinned with a chain saw
It's actually becoming tougher for RN's to find work as an LPN can do most of the same work for less money. The Gov't prefers to hire the LPN's.

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont it Just make you wonder ?........ ,how this government spends all our money foolishly and then raises our taxes to correct their mistakes, becomes a never ending circle,...... how many " recessions " do we have to go through before they can do it right ?, who put us back in the red ? and by how many Billions ?..... while there was prosperity ?..... Err.. yup ok, will just re elect them......, I think most people can run their household better then they "Govern" over us.

Last edited:

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LPN's are only restricted by a small handful of things that they can't do that RNs can. And it's less time in school (where they aren't making money) and easier to find a job. No point doing all that extra schooling if you can't find a job at the end. I believe in higher education but more people need to think about job demand when they go to university. I know tons of people who did 4-5 years on a subject before having to go back for something else when they found out there was no work.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife, an elementary school teacher, puts more time in to her job than most other people. A lot she does for no compensation, on her own time. Late nights and weekends marking, extra time with kids, dealing with parents (a full time job in itself), and a whole lot more. She is a GOOD teacher and her success with the children proves it. All this with a massive class size and no assistance. Now the AB gov is saying they will want more out of the teachers. How much more can they ask!!?? I see her burning out. How does that help the kids?

I would dare anyone to tray and do her job for a week. I would put big bets on how many critics of teachers would have an epic fail. IT has become one of the hardest and most thankless jobs out there. Anyone with kids in school should be ashamed if they think teachers are overpaid. They are not babysitters, they are trying to educate your children FFS!!

For a two year period we calculated all the time she put in and factored out her hourly rate based on her pay at the time. I can tell you that no one else on here would work for that hourly rate!! She has been teaching for a long time, but if you tinik she is making anywhere hear the above posted $90,000+ you need to fact check....not even close.....unless your an administrator. I suspect, like healthcare, the big bucks are not at the front line, they are in the administrative offices and ministerial level.

All that time off....usually spent planning how to best teach your kid, planning special programs, planning for extra carricular activities, doing report cards, 2 weeks of that so called summer break for cleaning the classroom at the end of the year, and prepping the classroom at the beginning of the year, endless meetings, community events....shall I go on.

How do you figure out the hourly wage of a teacher? When I was teaching it wasn't 9-3 like so many think it is. Gold plated benefits? You must be dreaming or making it up...........

^^^^^Nailed it. . My wife is a high school english and social teacher. Its not a part time job. Half a day reading and marking essays every Saturday , volunteering to drive and supervise kids on school trips and after school activities, after school tutoring for the kids that struggle but still want to get into post secondary. She never complains about helping the kids or what shes paid, loves her job. The wages of the teachers are not even close to the problem driving this obscene train wreck of the AB govt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its only part time for the crappy ones who see it as a job, not a career . I believe with teachers at least the biggest problem is the union , not the teachers. If you are another who is naive and gullible enough to believe all teachers are worth the same, and contribute and have the same commitment to the kids future, you're a special kind of stupid.
In Alberta , and probably most places, when you think quality of employable people, especially men and the opportunities that exist, think about how many ambitious, responsible, conscientious men who are gonna be satisfied with a career that starts you at $50 k ish and usually max's at $75 k ish. Good luck, that's friggen retail wages, and you're entrusting the education and moulding of you're kids, but you'll pay the plumber to fix your toilet $80/ hr.
We have to give more value the education system , stop treating it like a day care.

Can you explain the underlined statement please? Are you saying that $75,000/year can be made in retail? And that it isn't a good salary?
Holy ****, I think that is a tremendous wage. **** me some of you must make a **** load of money. I am starting to realize why some people have said this recession is a good thing. Some people need to give their head a shake.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you explain the underlined statement please? Are you saying that $75,000/year can be made in retail? And that it isn't a good salary?
Holy ****, I think that is a tremendous wage. **** me some of you must make a **** load of money. I am starting to realize why some people have said this recession is a good thing. Some people need to give their head a shake.

Ok so maybe a little above average retail, big deal, in Alberta for sure, if you're an ambitious and resourceful its awful easy to earn far more than that in a whole pile of places. And for a lot of jobs, the spring breakup can sorta be looked at same as summer break for teachers.
People think of teaching in a class as a cake walk, lets take your journeyman plumber, electrician, power engineer,instrument tech, mechanic, etc etc, and lets give them 30 apprentices to look after on the job site every day, and we'll see how productive they are and how long till frustration and burnout become a factor. And in an average grade 6 class the kids would probably be more mature than most of todays 30 apprentices.

cowboytb

Reaction score
How did this Alberta budget get on to teachers and nurses has anybody had to deal with difficult kids or been in a hospital and seen the dumb people in there for the stupid reason. Or deal with the parents of 30 kids? This budget is a joke don't cut there wages cut out some politicians y do we need so many what do there days consist off dinners meeting lunches all paid by our taxs goverments can't balance the books so they raise taxes. How many family's can't balance there check books what do they do? Rent goes up what do family's do? Gas goes up some more cost more to go to work what do they do? I know get another job or two jobs? We all want our kids to have more then we do so we tell them stay in school we need the teachers. When has anybody told there kids we need the polititions that's y we pay taxes so they can do what the people want (bullsh$$) they do what best for them not the people we need a Robin Hood steel from the rich give to the poor not steel from the poor give to the rich make them richer. There is no middle class just rich richer and poor this goverment has manged to triple the cost of living but wages has stayed flat and by this budget it just shows that they just want to hit the poor to fatten the wallets of the rich

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the debate about teachers and nurses is a mute point in my books, issue is not the front line staff, we made in through Ralph's tenure with out people dieing waiting for care and kids made it through school just fine. The problem is simple where did the gov generate a 7 billion dollar deficit when we effectively have the same oil price as 2004 when we had a 4 billion surplus. Prentice is not going to fix the problem by taxing the middle class and still spending like Redford. Don't forget where Prentice is from, grew up in a union household working in mines in Ontario.

Top Bottom