Alberta Budget

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427596568.327507.jpg

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He is far of right, so if you are new to alberta and or left of center I'm sure you wouldn't understand the underlying solution, spending per capita above every other province but Ontario. Ralph balanced the books with $11 oil and had a 4 billion surplus on $45 oil. Currently we are 7 billion in annual debt on $50 oil. There's a lot of fat somewhere that needs to be trimmed. I think Ezra nailed it.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You mean 23 years back when smokes were 3 bucks a pack, beer was 8 bucks a case, and a new loaded diesel truck was 23000

There is a thing called inflation. Thing is it's not 100% prentice's fault he walked in on it. Either way we will pay... cut back on teachers.. oh yeah we learned from that... how about nurses... uhh nope..Where does one trim fat, with good results? (honest question.)

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You mean 23 years back when smokes were 3 bucks a pack, beer was 8 bucks a case, and a new loaded diesel truck was 23000

There is a thing called inflation. Thing is it's not 100% prentice's fault he walked in on it. Either way we will pay... cut back on teachers.. oh yeah we learned from that... how about nurses... uhh nope..Where does one trim fat, with good results? (honest question.)

how about tax free salaries for slim ball politicians. :confused:

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Instead of just spouting off why not do some homework, in 1993 22 years ago when Ralph took office Alberta had 23 billion in debt which was paid off in 2004 when we had a 4 billion surplus on $31 to $46 oil in inflationary terms $100 in 2004 is the same as $124 in 2015, which would equate to $39 to $57 oil, with a 7 billion deficit. in 1993 $100 is now $163. And the beer and smokes you referenced have had significant prices increase not because of inflation is due to taxes, taxes that are being pissed away, revenue Ralph never had to put to general revenues.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you didn't answer my question... What exactly would you do to reduce the debt...or let's just say deficit for now...without fear of getting shot?

Instead of just spouting off why not do some homework, in 1993 22 years ago when Ralph took office Alberta had 23 billion in debt which was paid off in 2004 when we had a 4 billion surplus on $31 to $46 oil in inflationary terms $100 in 2004 is the same as $124 in 2015, which would equate to $39 to $57 oil, with a 7 billion deficit. in 1993 $100 is now $163. And the beer and smokes you referenced have had significant prices increase not because of inflation is due to taxes, taxes that are being pissed away, revenue Ralph never had to put to general revenues.

mick

Reaction score
easy to fix... 20% roll back in all government departments including wages...... Premier and all elected officials get no paycheck unless budget is balanced

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
easy to fix... 20% roll back in all government departments including wages...... Premier and all elected officials get no paycheck unless budget is balanced

and how will that roll with health and education? Teachers and nurses (RN's) are mostly all government employees. Easy to say but you didn't look very far ahead.

mick

Reaction score
and how will that roll with health and education? Teachers and nurses (RN's) are mostly all government employees. Easy to say but you didn't look very far ahead.

Does a teacher really deserve 50 bucks an hour plus gold plated benefits? The head of the UoC is paid 500k ish. The waste in health care is an embarrassment......yes cut them all, 7 billion shortfall in a province of 4 million has to come from somewhere, we do not need a 64+ billion cloud hanging over us like BC does or the out of control taxes either. We do not have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem

Last edited:

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does a teacher really deserve 50 bucks an hour plus gold plated benefits? The head of the UoC is paid 500k ish. The waste in health care is an embarrassment......yes cut them all, 7 billion shortfall in a province of 4 million has to come from somewhere, we do not need a 64+ billion cloud hanging over us like BC does or the out of control taxes either. We do not have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem

Not sure if your average teacher is making 50 an hour, I checked the salaries for teachers in canada. They ain't getting rich by any means

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

How do you figure out the hourly wage of a teacher? When I was teaching it wasn't 9-3 like so many think it is. Gold plated benefits? You must be dreaming or making it up...........The waste in health care doesn't come from the RN's. You should be lucky you have the few remaining that you do rather than the numbers of LPN's that are flooding the system.

I agree, teachers and RN's are over paid.

I guess I hit a sore note!

If the both of you ran for office with that platform, would you get elected?

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you figure out the hourly wage of a teacher? When I was teaching it wasn't 9-3 like so many think it is. Gold plated benefits? You must be dreaming or making it up...........The waste in health care doesn't come from the RN's. You should be lucky you have the few remaining that you do rather than the numbers of LPN's that are flooding the system.

Oh wow..really? You do realize that LPN's now do damn near everything an RN does, right. And get half the amount.

chris79

Reaction score
How do you figure out the hourly wage of a teacher? When I was teaching it wasn't 9-3 like so many think it is. Gold plated benefits? You must be dreaming or making it up...........

^^^^^Nailed it. . My wife is a high school english and social teacher. Its not a part time job. Half a day reading and marking essays every Saturday , volunteering to drive and supervise kids on school trips and after school activities, after school tutoring for the kids that struggle but still want to get into post secondary. She never complains about helping the kids or what shes paid, loves her job. The wages of the teachers are not even close to the problem driving this obscene train wreck of the AB govt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh wow..really? You do realize that LPN's now do damn near everything an RN does, right. And get half the amount.

When I'm laying in emergency having a heart attack I want the highest paid , best educated RN and doctor available looking after me.
But that's just me , I buy snap on tools instead of princess auto tools

Top Bottom