Alberta braces for earthworm invasion this spring ...... REALLY?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
[h=2]Alberta braces for earthworm invasion this spring[/h]
Don't miss

Digital writers
theweathernetwork.com

Tuesday, January 28, 2014, 4:18 PM - This spring, an earthworm invasion poised to take place in parts of Alberta -- particularly the province's northern forests -- and that has researchers at the University of Alberta concerned.
"Most people think earthworms are good for soil but that’s not true in all cases," the University writes.
"Research shows that small mammals, birds, salamanders, invertebrates, and plants can be harmed by earthworm invasions in forests.
Earthworms are helpful in farms and gardens because they promote nutrient cycling and soil structure development by breaking down organic material. In forests, these same activities can harm organisms that rely on a thick leaf litter layer on the forest floor. Depending on the earthworm species that invades, the entire leaf litter layer may be removed following an invasion."
File photo courtesy of sxc.hu

There are no native earthworms in most of Canada and the northern U.S. -- nearly all were wiped out during the last ice age some 11,000 years ago.
European and Asian earthworms have been imported into Canada through plant soil and as leftover fishing bait. Experts say there are at least 14 species on non-native earthworms in Alberta, with the first spotted in the foothills in the mid-1980s.
To combat the spread, the University of Alberta has launched the Alberta Worm Invasion Project in hopes of educating the public and recruiting volunteers that can collect earthworm data.

-.jpg
ADVENTURES IN GARDENING: K

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just how do you brace for an earthworm invasion????? Import a flock of Sparrows to eat them, then get more cats to control the Sparrow problem.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice, I might save some money on bait for wally fishing this season. earthworms love bottom bouncers

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First spotted in the mid 80's??? Were the worms I saw as a kid not classified as earthworms?

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just how do you brace for an earthworm invasion????? Import a flock of Sparrows to eat them, then get more cats to control the Sparrow problem.

And we all know where that ends, dogs to control the cats, then bigger dogs to control them, then they bring in the Genetically modifiedmountain lions to control the big dogs, they come with a built in kill switch’s,that somehow gets modified and then all hell breaks loose.....so they build atime machine and go back and the government puts a bounty on the worms and weget rich fishing????????

Ok I thought that ended to fast something needs to happenin the middle, maybe someone dumps truck loads of worms in the lakes and ......

albertaworms

Reaction score
I'm one of the researchers who is involved in this earthworm work (someone commented about this discussion on our website). That article is quite inaccurate and not based on any discussion with us or press release from us - we are not bracing for more earthworms than normal this spring, nor were earthworms first spotted in the mid 1980s! We assume they were attempting to quote a sentence which said that scientists first noticed non-native earthworms in forests in Alberta in the mid 1980s.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the friggin dew worm invasion has been at our lake lot for years would love to get rid of them poison dont work.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm one of the researchers who is involved in this earthworm work (someone commented about this discussion on our website). That article is quite inaccurate and not based on any discussion with us or press release from us - we are not bracing for more earthworms than normal this spring, nor were earthworms first spotted in the mid 1980s! We assume they were attempting to quote a sentence which said that scientists first noticed non-native earthworms in forests in Alberta in the mid 1980s.
Welcome to the site (spoilsport) just when we were starting to have fun somebody comes along with the facts. lol

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Are you guys hiring?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Inaccuracy in the media?????? Say it isn't so! :loco:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

so your saying, arffs front lawn is going to be ok? lol

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so your saying, arffs front lawn is going to be ok? lol

I just checked. No earthworms on my front lawn.

It sure is nice and green...

I just need artificial trees now.....

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You put one of those fake dog doos on yer lawn yet? Lol

Last edited:

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the friggin dew worm invasion has been at our lake lot for years would love to get rid of them poison dont work.

Friggin things are in my lawn...how do we get rid of them?

Top Bottom