alberta beach

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went and rode A.B rally trail were smooth .But police were nuts must been
at least 10 between bylaw R.C.M.P,sheriffs .checking plates innsures nuts!

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i heard that they busted about 32 guys last weekend. that's a pretty big cash haul. it's like a 2800.00 combined fine now for no insurance or registration. :eek::nono:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
my last one wa only $115- no reg + $115 no insurance $230 total...I knew they changed it for cars/trucks didn't know it was the same for ATV's

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing like shooting fish in a barrel - mixed feelings about this sort of policing at events that are designed to bring much needed income to smaller communities.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing like shooting fish in a barrel - mixed feelings about this sort of policing at events that are designed to bring much needed income to smaller communities.

If you were looking for your stolen sled you would think differently,I would rather have honest people's money if I was hosting an event.I think it's catching a lot of illegal riders and thiefs.
Just my Two cents.
catmando!

ArcticFlyer

Reaction score
I agree with law enforcment checking. My brand new 08 M1000 162" was stolen last week. I bought it the season and its only been to the mountains three times (less than 500km on it). Alberta law states that sleds need to be registered and insured. I feel for the guys that own the sleds that they were riding without reg or ins but good on the cops if they were able to recover even one stolen snowmobile during this crack down. Just my view from a hurting guy without his sled.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
We're heading out here in about an hour Arctic...Like I said I'll keep and eye open...we've got quite the posse with us the rips should be easy to identify.

Best of luck...

Bogger:beer:

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good points from all....I agree that it may seem a little harsh for them to bust 32 people or whatever that number may be and yes.,..it will more than likely have some sort of impact on turnout especially for the guy who has limited income or disposable cash on hand and maybe has a homebuilt older sled. The passion is there but insurance and plates may be more than one can afford. Don't shoot the messenger people...I know allot of people out there that wouldn't sled if they had to buy this and I am not condoning anyone who apparently breaks the law with no insurance and plates...I am simply stating that it is a reality that allot of people would not be able sled at a rally if they had to buy insurance, plates, trail passes etc. however as Arctic flyer mentioned...it is awesome that the RC's are out there and looking for the loser, jerk-offs that stoop to stealing someones sled. What better place than a gathering like a rally to check if the rightful owner is riding a sled? It is the way of the world that has brought all of the "checks and measures" upon us such as the maggots that steal someones pride and joy, or sues someone over BS that has created all this in the first place. It is not like it used to be and never will be again...so for those of us that know that we have to pay for insurance, plates, and all that other good sheet that goes along with it and knowing that we have additional costs to incur to be able to enjoy our hobby of sledding, I would also like to suggest that the law be lengthened to bring the criminals to justice with increasing the fines for theft to levels that would deter them from stealing in the first place. Make the "time fit the crime"!!!!! Hit them real hard. Look at the laws that get levied with people that Poach or over fish- I am not saying they are too high...it is right...nail their arses to the wall...but thieves? What do they get? A slap on the wrist...what do people like Arctic Flyer and so many other victims like him get? Nothing but an insurance bill or increase in premiums or even lose the intial cost of investment along with a whole lot of anguish over something that is supposed to be fun. Just makes me fume....sorry folks ....shouldn't have aired my laundry or personal views but ....just takes the fun out of it at times when the good folks wanting to have some fun have to dish out all sorts of cash to be what is supposed to keep you in check with the law but also restricts others that may not be able to afford to do it all. Kudos to the RC's and anyone else who is taking the time to check be it at a rally or wherever to look for a brothers missing machine. Instead of turning a rally into a cash cow...they simply could have set-up a check stop as you entered or drove in to check ownership and not bust some poor chap that is out for a ride at a rally. That is bitter sweet! Feel for ya Arctic Flyer....hope it all turns out good somehow for you...we rode the Wabasca rally yesterday and I looked at every possible sled matching your sleds description...no luck in finding it up there anyway. My 2 cents...Hollee cow...I blew a nut I think!

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am pleased to here the cops are out catching the guys who donot want to follow the rules
If people drive without Ins & Reg on there sled and show up at a major event
and get charged Oh Well
Da what did you think was going happen

I think its time we took responsibility for ourselves and quit saying the cops are being difficult and should be off catching a more serious crime

Running your Sled around without this is Illegal

Pure & simple

Doo the Right thing Next T:dime

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:dGood comments - I especially like the ones that agree with my point of view!!!;):d;) Funny that, eh?

Great - checking for stolen sleds - couldn't agree more. I guess I just feel registration and insurance checks on sleds at such an event should carry warnings - not fines. However, the law is the law.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
good points from all....i agree that it may seem a little harsh for them to bust 32 people or whatever that number may be and yes.,..it will more than likely have some sort of impact on turnout especially for the guy who has limited income or disposable cash on hand and maybe has a homebuilt older sled. The passion is there but insurance and plates may be more than one can afford. Don't shoot the messenger people...i know allot of people out there that wouldn't sled if they had to buy this and i am not condoning anyone who apparently breaks the law with no insurance and plates...i am simply stating that it is a reality that allot of people would not be able sled at a rally if they had to buy insurance, plates, trail passes etc. However as arctic flyer mentioned...it is awesome that the rc's are out there and looking for the loser, jerk-offs that stoop to stealing someones sled. What better place than a gathering like a rally to check if the rightful owner is riding a sled? It is the way of the world that has brought all of the "checks and measures" upon us such as the maggots that steal someones pride and joy, or sues someone over bs that has created all this in the first place. It is not like it used to be and never will be again...so for those of us that know that we have to pay for insurance, plates, and all that other good sheet that goes along with it and knowing that we have additional costs to incur to be able to enjoy our hobby of sledding, i would also like to suggest that the law be lengthened to bring the criminals to justice with increasing the fines for theft to levels that would deter them from stealing in the first place. Make the "time fit the crime"!!!!! Hit them real hard. Look at the laws that get levied with people that poach or over fish- i am not saying they are too high...it is right...nail their arses to the wall...but thieves? What do they get? A slap on the wrist...what do people like arctic flyer and so many other victims like him get? Nothing but an insurance bill or increase in premiums or even lose the intial cost of investment along with a whole lot of anguish over something that is supposed to be fun. Just makes me fume....sorry folks ....shouldn't have aired my laundry or personal views but ....just takes the fun out of it at times when the good folks wanting to have some fun have to dish out all sorts of cash to be what is supposed to keep you in check with the law but also restricts others that may not be able to afford to do it all. Kudos to the rc's and anyone else who is taking the time to check be it at a rally or wherever to look for a brothers missing machine. Instead of turning a rally into a cash cow...they simply could have set-up a check stop as you entered or drove in to check ownership and not bust some poor chap that is out for a ride at a rally. That is bitter sweet! Feel for ya arctic flyer....hope it all turns out good somehow for you...we rode the wabasca rally yesterday and i looked at every possible sled matching your sleds description...no luck in finding it up there anyway. My 2 cents...hollee cow...i blew a nut i think!

amen!!!!!!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is a great thread,lots of opinions whether you agree or not.One thing I would like to add which was pointed out to me(yes I have the required doc's) Was riding in Mcbride and a few of us were discussing insurance.One of the guys said you better have insurance if you run into me,made me think .So if this guy that loves the sport takes his 1974 evinrude with no insurance and runs into your apex or M1000,possibly your New Truck,Will you still feel sorry for him when you have to dish out a few grand for repairs while he gets a 300.00 dollar ticket.
catmando!

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seem I struck nerve!Yet I rode Whitecourt Sunday if i had to guess there had
to be 150-200 sled out there.I think about 1/3 had no plates yetno police present.My self I have xtra innsurence because people are out there think
stub there nose to the law .On happier note i like thank trail buster for
great day good ride goodfreinds And R.P.M for my new helmet I won as
door prize YAHOO:d

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
This is a great thread,lots of opinions whether you agree or not.One thing I would like to add which was pointed out to me(yes I have the required doc's) Was riding in Mcbride and a few of us were discussing insurance.One of the guys said you better have insurance if you run into me,made me think .So if this guy that loves the sport takes his 1974 evinrude with no insurance and runs into your apex or M1000,possibly your New Truck,Will you still feel sorry for him when you have to dish out a few grand for repairs while he gets a 300.00 dollar ticket.
catmando!

Although I agreein principal...., If I were to be in the position of being hit and wanting compensation I agree... On the other hand....personally all my machines are insured.. and even if not if I were to run into someones truck/sled/quad I would be more than willing to compensate...regardless of insurance situation. I understand that that the issue remains with "Are you covered" but for those of us who are honest and willing to take responsibility for our actions it is a real pain in the ass to jump though all the hoops of keeping "everything legal" for the foreman and the 2 sleds it's easy...but when it comes to the smaller machines insurance is hard to come by, making registration impossible...I just wish we could ride as we wish and take responsibility for what we ought to.... :beer:

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Out of all the sleds stopped were any hot units? Where are these sleds going. Alot of sleds went missing so far this year and have not heard of many turning up. Like it was said, this sport is supposed to be fun to let the nerves unwind, but anytime I go out I am wandering if my truck/trailer/sleds will be there in the morning or if I should carry cardboard for the broken window at the end of the day. Getting to be to much of an effort to have to be worrying about these thugs. If you can get the sled you should be able to budget for the papers, and let the boy's do their thing. My 2 cents

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about how they do it with the sleds but for quads all they do is check your papers and if they cannot be provided or are not up to date, most just get told to turn around and load up. The only ones that get ticketed are the ones that try to argue or complicate things.

BIG_BRUTE750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Out of all the sleds stopped were any hot units? Where are these sleds going. Alot of sleds went missing so far this year and have not heard of many turning up. Like it was said, this sport is supposed to be fun to let the nerves unwind, but anytime I go out I am wandering if my truck/trailer/sleds will be there in the morning or if I should carry cardboard for the broken window at the end of the day. Getting to be to much of an effort to have to be worrying about these thugs. If you can get the sled you should be able to budget for the papers, and let the boy's do their thing. My 2 cents

yea its pritty sad that you have to worry about that when your out haven fun.

TrailCrusader

Reaction score
Good points from all....I agree that it may seem a little harsh for them to bust 32 people or whatever that number may be and yes.,..it will more than likely have some sort of impact on turnout especially for the guy who has limited income or disposable cash on hand and maybe has a homebuilt older sled. The passion is there but insurance and plates may be more than one can afford. Don't shoot the messenger people...I know allot of people out there that wouldn't sled if they had to buy this and I am not condoning anyone who apparently breaks the law with no insurance and plates...I am simply stating that it is a reality that allot of people would not be able sled at a rally if they had to buy insurance, plates, trail passes etc. however as Arctic flyer mentioned...it is awesome that the RC's are out there and looking for the loser, jerk-offs that stoop to stealing someones sled. What better place than a gathering like a rally to check if the rightful owner is riding a sled? It is the way of the world that has brought all of the "checks and measures" upon us such as the maggots that steal someones pride and joy, or sues someone over BS that has created all this in the first place. It is not like it used to be and never will be again...so for those of us that know that we have to pay for insurance, plates, and all that other good sheet that goes along with it and knowing that we have additional costs to incur to be able to enjoy our hobby of sledding, I would also like to suggest that the law be lengthened to bring the criminals to justice with increasing the fines for theft to levels that would deter them from stealing in the first place. Make the "time fit the crime"!!!!! Hit them real hard. Look at the laws that get levied with people that Poach or over fish- I am not saying they are too high...it is right...nail their arses to the wall...but thieves? What do they get? A slap on the wrist...what do people like Arctic Flyer and so many other victims like him get? Nothing but an insurance bill or increase in premiums or even lose the intial cost of investment along with a whole lot of anguish over something that is supposed to be fun. Just makes me fume....sorry folks ....shouldn't have aired my laundry or personal views but ....just takes the fun out of it at times when the good folks wanting to have some fun have to dish out all sorts of cash to be what is supposed to keep you in check with the law but also restricts others that may not be able to afford to do it all. Kudos to the RC's and anyone else who is taking the time to check be it at a rally or wherever to look for a brothers missing machine. Instead of turning a rally into a cash cow...they simply could have set-up a check stop as you entered or drove in to check ownership and not bust some poor chap that is out for a ride at a rally. That is bitter sweet! Feel for ya Arctic Flyer....hope it all turns out good somehow for you...we rode the Wabasca rally yesterday and I looked at every possible sled matching your sleds description...no luck in finding it up there anyway. My 2 cents...Hollee cow...I blew a nut I think!

I like to see the Law out there checking insurance and registration (ie. Serial numbers). I have been stopped several times for paperwork. Give them the documents and then you are back riding. The people who have had machines stolen would like to see this enforcement result in some arrests and charges.

I do not agree with your general statement justifying people who cannot afford insurance and registration because a non-insured sled running in a rally is a legal nightmare waiting to happen if there is an accident / injury to another party. If someone cannot afford insurance they should find private property to ride on. Lack of disposible income on anyone's part for is not an acceptable reason to ride anyways. Get out of the sport until you can afford it. This leads to my next point. If someone cannot afford insurance or registration but feels justified to ride because of that situation what is the difference if someone who cannot afford a sled decides to steal one to ride in a rally and also without insurance and regisitration.

Regarding your

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cost insurance and registration is a small price to pay to have fun and
good times with my son and dad and rest of sled buddys .It cost appox.
$250 a season I seen people spend that in a single night at bar or caniso:)

Top Bottom